Topic: Looking for Lemon race car SoCal

Hi! We are thinking about attending Lemons this year but first we need a car. Please email me at szgaorui@gmail.com or just respond to this post if you have a car looking to sell under 500 or even better for free. We don't have much expectations so please let me know if anything!

2 (edited by rb92673 2024-02-22 01:09 PM)

Re: Looking for Lemon race car SoCal

Are you looking for a car to build, or something already built?  An already built car typically is a lot more than $500 with safety equipment.

Is there a particular type of car you are looking for?  Weird/quirky or something more race focused.

There are also people who rent out seats in their cars or rent entire cars.

Zot zot?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

And - more detail about your group will reduce my suspicion you're a troll merely looking for a free car.

First impressions tend to last for a while. I'll be interested to see what a second post represents.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

And - more detail about your group will reduce my suspicion you're a troll merely looking for a free car.

First impressions tend to last for a while. I'll be interested to see what a second post represents.

We are from anteater sim racing club at UCI that's looking to get more people involved in to grassroots motorsports (check us out on instagram) :) We plan to train college sim racers, get them out on an actual race, and influence more people into the sport.
As for the car, we are looking for something easy to work on and preferably light rwd and manual. Not expecting a lemon racer with proper safety equipment to cost under 500, but hopefully something more reasonable so college kids are able to afford

rb92673 wrote:

Are you looking for a car to build, or something already built?  An already built car typically is a lot more than $500 with safety equipment.

Is there a particular type of car you are looking for?  Weird/quirky or something more race focused.

There are also people who rent out seats in their cars or rent entire cars.

Zot zot?

zotzotzot!

^This is promising!

I suggest searching this subtopic - including responses.

Not sure you'll find a rwd manual listed close to you, but it's worth looking. Good luck with your search.

My daughter talks about starting a Lemons team when she goes to CSU Fullerton next year, but I think the biggest hurdle is having a place to store and work on the car.  If you got that covered, there are lots of <$500 cars in SoCal, you just need to expand your search out of Irvine. Getting a car ready to race is typically about $5000 after you add in all your safety equipment and cage.

RWD and manual is getting harder to find unless you are willing to look at early 90s and older cars.  Miatas are great and are easy on the wallet to race as I understand it.

I have raced a '85 Volvo for the last six years and they are rear wheel drive and withstand a lot of abuse, but their manual transmissions are weak.  I eventually replaced the transmission with a Nissan 370z manual.

My son is a freshman anteater, I am happy to talk about my Lemons experiences and what we spend every year offline.  Let me know and I will email you my contact info.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

dont forget to check the The Unofficial Facebook Group of the 24 Hours of Lemons(TM)
on evil facebook
people post a lot of cars there... most suck ass/ are a joke, but once in a while something shows up that would be useful.
good luck!