1 (edited by Salish Sea EV 2024-02-25 08:00 PM)

Topic: Vancouver, BC to Seattle...900HP Volvo XC70 EV Team in Bellingham, WA

Have you stayed away from Lemons because everyone seems like they are doing sane, boring things that are far too smart? Do you want to turn your stupidity up to 12, because this one goes to 11 but that's not far enough?

Then the Salish Sea EV Flying Pigs are for you.

We are building a 2001 Volvo XC70 Station Wagon into a 4WD 900HP duel-motored battery-swapping hare to take on a sea of tortoises here in the Pacific Northwest Lemons scene. And as everyone knows, the hare won because it was faster and the fact that it had to stop to rest every 45 minutes didn't matter.

About 3 months ago this seemed impossible. But a sponsor has come along and provided us with $180,000 worth of new Samsung G50 battery cells (!!!!!!!), and we've got a Volvo with the interior, dash, exhaust and all the engine accessories stripped out.

And it's sitting crooked on 3 out of 4 supports on the garage because I might have dropped it a bit doing some 2am tinkering. Exclusive sneak peek unlisted video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqEeNwmpelc.

Watch that Volvo bounce. If you saw the bounce, like and subscribe!

Anyway, we've got 3 solid core team members and some more who come by when they can. We've got a basic design. We've got the most expensive and hardest part in the bag.

But we need help. It's insane, but we aiming for those million nickels. If all goes well, we will be able to pass tech and go around the track in September, and then be in the hunt for the prize a few months after that.

If any of this sounds fun to you, please fill out this interest form:
You can be located anywhere to  help out with design (we're doing CAD on the cloud) and participate in the team Discord once we've gotten to know you.

If you just want updates, fill this out. We also have a facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1565198744280433

We are still looking for help with pretty much everything. Right now I'm leading the team and doing all the social media, sponsor relations and video stuff, which is too much for me.  (yeah, sponsor relations. This is an expensive Lemons project. But sponsors are excited about it so it's in some ways easier.) We could also use more help with electrical and mechanical engineering. We are building a bespoke battery that must meet very unique requirements, and if V1 of the car can't handle the thermals for regen and it turns out we need it, also some very interesting work with super-capacitors, so it's pretty much the most fun one can have, and the closest you can be to a mad scientist without committing felonies. We are not rudderless in this dept. but this is *kinda* cutting edge stuff so more eyes and input would be appreciated.

Also If you are within 1000 miles of Bellingham, WA and have any leads on cheap wrecked Tesla Model S (pref. performance but not necessary) or Model X vehicles (or, if you really wanna be a hero, a wrecked Lucid), or you see any cheap Tesla LDUs go online, please let me know.

If you are running a Lemons EV race team anywhere in North America, please email me at theglassishalf at gmail.com! We should be talking to each other. It'll be more fun.

Thanks.

2 (edited by Salish Sea EV 2024-03-25 07:15 PM)

Re: Vancouver, BC to Seattle...900HP Volvo XC70 EV Team in Bellingham, WA

Update: we've got our first project video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHAC8bWQdFk

And we've got a car all torn apart and 3D scanned, and about 3000 lbs of batteries.

Team is looking good but there is a lot more to do than in a traditional Lemons team, so there's still room if you're excited about it!

Can you think of any other teams you can earn a racing spot just by doing video editing/production?