Topic: electric lemon

I have been toying with the idea of an electric car. After monday's episode of Top Gear, I have to do it with a Geoff theme.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: electric lemon

http://i.ehow.com/images/a04/t1/4a/make-lemon-powered-light-bulb-800X800.jpg

you have to power it via Lemons too

http://www.hilaroad.com/camp/projects/lemon/1lemon_meter.jpg

Hmmm.....your strapped in a metal car with lots of extra metal tubes around you...with a couple hundred lbs of lead acid batteries putting out a few hundred volts....what could possibly go wrong?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

you didn't see the episode, did you?
use a diesel generator as opposed to batteries: lower weight, lower hazard, greater range

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

use a diesel generator as opposed to batteries: lower weight, lower hazard, greater range

you forgot the 'more fumes in the cabin' part

eljefe17 wrote:
Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

you forgot the 'more fumes in the cabin' part

And the terrifically slow performance...

Electric or not, after the charge goes down the most power you can draw comes from your generator less inefficiencies.  So if you have a 25 HP diesel generator running flat out into an alternator to a charge controller to the batteries to the motor controller to the motors and finally into motion you lose a fair bit in the 6 power conversions you have to do.   On a Lemons budget I would be surprised if you can get ANY of them above 85% efficiency.  0.85^6 is  0.38 or 38% peak power.   38% of 25HP is pretty awful.

Go for it smile

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

And the terrifically slow performance...

Electric or not, after the charge goes down the most power you can draw comes from your generator less inefficiencies.  So if you have a 25 HP diesel generator running flat out into an alternator to a charge controller to the batteries to the motor controller to the motors and finally into motion you lose a fair bit in the 6 power conversions you have to do.   On a Lemons budget I would be surprised if you can get ANY of them above 85% efficiency.  0.85^6 is  0.38 or 38% peak power.   38% of 25HP is pretty awful.

Go for it smile

we just need to invent the perpetual motion lemon, and it'll race all day and sell power back to the grid to offset the $500 budget

Lemons are kinda small. You might get the volts but not the amp-hours you'll need.  So how about throwing a few oranges or grapefruits in there and call it a hybrid? Could smell nicer, too.

On a pound-per-dollar basis fruit is more expensive than normal car parts, but lots of people in Cali have fruit trees they never pick, so you could get all you need and not break the budget.

m610 wrote:

Lemons are kinda small. You might get the volts but not the amp-hours you'll need.  So how about throwing a few oranges or grapefruits in there and call it a hybrid? Could smell nicer, too.

On a pound-per-dollar basis fruit is more expensive than normal car parts, but lots of people in Cali have fruit trees they never pick, so you could get all you need and not break the budget.

wouldn't have to worry about the team suffering from scurvy, and you can serve lemonade/orange juice/grapefruit juice in the pits after the race

could use some ugli fruit too

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/149/434163526_f66fc96006.jpg?v=0

11 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-03-27 06:12 AM)

In an endurance race doing this would modestly increase your power output (your available power is determined by the voltage in your batteries, not your diesel engine size) and fuel economy (by running the engine at its optimum rpm all the time and recouping braking). Unfortunately the additional weight would negate any gains. But this is Lemons. Freakin' do it!