1 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-02-28 09:43 AM)

Topic: Fire Suppression System installation - Best Practices?

In response to a question in a different subtopic, I decided to look around for authoritative documentation on this subject.

The FIA standard indicates these Suppression Systems are not meant to put out the fire, they're designed to:

SLOW THE DEVELOPMENT

of the fire, and that's an important distinction.

The documents I found discuss - and show - aiming at least one interior nozzle:
AT THE ROOF

- not at what would be the base of a fire - which I would have expected based on all training with handheld extinguishers I've had (wood, paper, grease, electrical).

That was not immediately obvious to me, despite the time I've spent on this forum. I think the mist needs to be in the volume of combustion(?!?).

I just spent 1.5 hours looking for an easily digestible resource.

I looked on Lifeline's website, and I couldn't easily find any links to an installation manual on their web resource for the system for sale here.

I looked at the FIA website and found their list of "Installation Guides" listed by their (FIA's) document number rather than Product; _that_ was frustrating.

I made a Google search, and I finally found a .pdf(!!! after numerous click-throughs) back on the Lifeline "Home" page at:

lifeline-fire.com/fitting instructions.aspx

(Let me note: that link is NOT a visible link on the home page, and it's NOT returned cleanly using their own search function)

- I think what's sold here is the: "Zero 3620 FM Installation guide"

and importantly, has graphics showing how to install nozzles.

I'm a newbie builder, so I'm putting this here so it's easier to find for the next one.

The only good thing - other than FINALLY finding this resource - is that it's been raining, and the (NA) timing belt / water pump work I have to do is an outside job; and, of course, it's February.

2 (edited by Zacks 2024-02-28 10:35 AM)

Re: Fire Suppression System installation - Best Practices?

I couldn't find it in the rules when I checked but I thought the Lemons rules or instructions that came with our lifeline (can't recall which)  stated there had to be 2 nozzles in the cabin and 3 in the engine bay.

I thought there was a rule about pointing them at the driver (or 1 at driver and 2 at passenger.  (We want to be able to use our car for other things besides Lemons, so even though there is no passenger during a Lemons race I like having that option). 

I can't comment about fia stuff exept to ask: does fia rules assume windows up or not?  I wouldn't wanna spray all the no-fire out the window...  either way it makes sense to me to make sure the driver is not on fire more than anything else.

I want to reiterate THAT WAS FROM MEMORY I COULD NOT FIND THE ACTUAL CITING IN RULES.

I will add we have passed tech several times with 2 nozzles in the cabin pointed at driver/passenger and 3 in the engine bay.  Our nozzles are basically pointed at your crotch.

3 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-02-28 11:10 AM)

That's exactly why I wanted this thread.

I read somewhere about following manufacturer's direction.

I've seen discussion about the foot well, because you don't want crispy feet - I totally understand that.

I think mounting point is critical, and the graphics I saw on cursory review showed mounting along the tunnel.

Also, I've seen discussion about the number of nozzles, and the reasons for having either more, or fewer.

Also, instructions specifically state vehicles differ, and they don't pretend to give directions for every case; having said that, I'm looking for best practices, and most importantly, WHY.

There's so much knowledge here, and people have been doing this so long, I want to tap into that.

Thanks for your input!

4 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-02-28 11:19 AM)

From the FIA website, I downloaded 12 installation / demonstration documents. They seem to share the same format, which makes sense.

But I didn't review _each_ document for their graphics; I'm only one person and I haven't yet installed a system.

Presumably everyone who installed these systems received such a document with their system. Hopefully they were reviewed before being installed.

I'm hoping for best practices information, and general points to note for new installations - which will include mine.

The type of suppressant you use will dictate where nozzles need to be located and that will be dictated by the equipment manufacturer.  The application of foam or gas suppressants will be different.  There is a reason most rule books are written very general as to not take on liability where it conflicts with manufacturer directions. 

The two current options of AFFF (foam) and Novec 1230 (fluorinated ketone and gaseous) are classified as PFAS chemicals and are being heavily regulated starting this year by the EPA.  AFFF ends up in water and is difficult to decompose so it wont be around long.  Novec 1230 ends up in the atmosphere and will degrade from UV exposure...eventually.  I believe gaseous fluorinated ketones like Novec 1230 will miss this current phase out, but 3M is voluntarily stopping production of Novec 1230.  There are other manufacturers that make an identical product now that the 3M patent has run out so you will likely see other chemical names coming from fire suppression systems in the future.  I find it a little weird that 3M claims Novec 1230 is "harmless" but is voluntarily stopping production.

Hopefully we see new solutions coming out in the next few years as the EPA crackdown continues on PFAS chemicals.  Oxygen displacement is obviously not good for an occupied situation and would be difficult to maintain in an open condition like a vehicle.  The other option I have seen in buildings right now is a very fine water mist system.  I don't see how this can be adapted to a car easily and would be another item for me to forget to winterize. 

I completely understand why people say don't put a suppression head at the fuel tank as it wouldn't do much if the fuel storage is on fire. I do think there is an aspect that gets overlooked in that area with wiring or other materials and equipment near the fuel tank that could create a fire near the fuel system.  A suppression system could prevent the fire from reaching the tank and creating a bigger issue.  Best option would be to mitigate these potential sources when you are building but some cannot be avoided.

All cars should be looked at from a holistic view and a risk assessment taken during the build.  The more nozzles the faster the suppression tank will empty.  Some manufacturer have heads with temperature sensitive disks to prevent discharge if there is not a fire in that part of the vehicle.  Obviously #1 importance is the cockpit to buy the driver time to get out of the vehicle.  #2 most fires will start in the engine bay.  That's why those two are required in the rules.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

As you've mentioned, it was frustrating not having a more concrete guide for a safety item (as you find with harnesses), but I understand the intent is to give time for the driver to escape, nothing more.

I always run 5 nozzles:
1) Covering the intake side/fuel rail side of the engine
2) Covering the exhaust/exhaust manifold side of the engine
3) at the drivers feet: fires starting in the engine bay will creep their way to the driver by their feet via firewall
4) angle slightly downwards towards the right hip seat bolster: covering the transmission tunnel at waist height
5) one behind the driver: to slow down the fire if a fire were to start at the fuel tank/cell

None of mine aim directly at the driver, they are all intended to create a fire barrier to give the driver more time. If it's on fire, screw the car, your trying to buy your driver some more seconds to escape your future boat anchor.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

7 (edited by Zacks 2024-02-28 06:46 PM)

OK I found the instructions from lifeline for the 2020 (and others)

For cockpit:
"2 nozzles under the dashboard
pointed downwards into the footwell
or driver’s midriff in open cars.
Do not point at occupant’s head"

Under engine compartment:
"Carefully consider
the position of the 3 engine
compartment nozzles to cover the
most likely source of ignition:
induction, exhaust, fuel pump,
injector rail, carburettors etc. Two
nozzles should be placed on
opposite sides of the engine, with
the third at one end."

Just to be clear that's from a lifeline manual, other systems may vary.

There are pics and whatnot and more info ect https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou … DjAaF5z6-8

As a counterpoint:

Fire Extinguisher Valve Co Ltd

Fire Extinguisher System Manual for FIA Standard 8865
2 Engine Nozzles, 1 cockpit nozzle.
FX G-TEC 2900R3 Advanced Discharge System

Cockpit nozzle
The one cockpit 16 jet bar nozzle is designed to be fitted between the drivers and co driver’s
seat with the 10 jets facing forward and the 6 jets pointing upwards and just behind the two
seats towards the roof. The nozzle should be fixed either on a preformed bracket, or by fixing
a pipe clip supplied around the metal tubing close to the push in connector attached to the
nozzle and fixed through the metal tab on the other end of the nozzle.

Zacks wrote:

OK I found the instructions from lifeline for the 2020 (and others)

For cockpit:
"2 nozzles under the dashboard
pointed downwards into the footwell
or driver’s midriff in open cars.
Do not point at occupant’s head"

I found one of the Lifeline installation documents to recommend mounting high - potentially on the cage (not where there's padding), and aimed toward the firewall, so that the horizontal spray settles to the floor over the legs and feet.

I note your summary specifies "open" cars; is that what you're running? It was your interpretation of "open" to be a convertible? Or just that there are no front windows?

Does anyone have any pictures of cars that burned?

I'm almost completely focused on the cockpit rather than the engine compartment.

But there's always going to be a driver and seat; and here, most will be on the left.

You think we'd get in trouble for running only two in the engine bay even though instructions from lifeline say to use 3? We have an old mechanically injected diesel.

We have two in the interior (one towards feet, one towards crotch/trans tunnel). We have two in the engine bay (one spraying directly towards the injection pump, injectors, and fuel lines/filters. The other one sprays the turbo/exhaust/intake).

I opted for only two sprayers in the engine bay because A: it's diesel instead of gasoline, B: ALL fuel sources are tucked in a very small area where one sprayer easily covers, C: routing was SUPER weird and I ran out of hardline, and D: I decided that one less nozzle meant a decent increase in spray time which would buy the driver precious seconds/minutes to GTFO.

The turbo/intake/exhaust sprayer really is redundant but I figured oil fed turbo + hot diesel exhaust temps could potentially be a source of ignition if other things have already ignited.

Thoughts?

Zanetapos wrote:

You think we'd get in trouble for running only two in the engine bay even though instructions from lifeline say to use 3? We have an old mechanically injected diesel.

We have two in the interior (one towards feet, one towards crotch/trans tunnel). We have two in the engine bay (one spraying directly towards the injection pump, injectors, and fuel lines/filters. The other one sprays the turbo/exhaust/intake).

I opted for only two sprayers in the engine bay because A: it's diesel instead of gasoline, B: ALL fuel sources are tucked in a very small area where one sprayer easily covers, C: routing was SUPER weird and I ran out of hardline, and D: I decided that one less nozzle meant a decent increase in spray time which would buy the driver precious seconds/minutes to GTFO.

The turbo/intake/exhaust sprayer really is redundant but I figured oil fed turbo + hot diesel exhaust temps could potentially be a source of ignition if other things have already ignited.

Thoughts?

As others have mentioned, there is a trade off with spray time and placement of nozzles. I think 4 nozzles/2 in the engine bay is fine. Please see my post #6 above, I've had 3 cars go through tech with flying colors with 2 nozzles in the engine bay.

Full Ass Racing
#455 Piñata Miata - 1990 Miata
#735 BMDollhÜr 7Turdy5i - 1990 735i

These (^) are EXACTLY the differences I was looking to explore.

I note the one mention of one nozzle under the dashboard, pointed toward the footwell.

Others high on the cage, with a graphic showing near the middle of the main hoop, pointed forward and down.

In some of the FIA installation documents for manufacturers _other_ than already mentioned, there's a difference in number and placement based on interior volume.

And I'll also say that: for me, engine compartment nozzle number and placement needs to be logical and well thought out; getting hung up on a _specific_ number >1 (i think there needs to be AT LEAST one) seems, well, stupid...

... unless the sanctioning organization has that one specific number defined, and the equipment is more standardized. I think there are too many variables in Lemons racecars.

I could easily see a (ex.: Spec Miata, BMW E36, etc.) series with defined requirements for placement and number.

This team decided to test their bottle before sending it in for refill:

https://youtu.be/gSdet6Yp5Y0?si=y0t2gSDx1EBUNfAJ

I would want to point the nozzles away from the drivers face so they can see to get out.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

One of the example diagrams:
https://i.postimg.cc/tgTKWDnr/Screenshot-20240302-002031-Adobe-Acrobat.jpg

We run six nozzles. One each at the driver and passenger footwell aimed aft as to create a "wall" of suppression. In the engine compartment (E36 BMW), one nozzle at each aimed at potential sources of fire - brake booster n brake lines, intake/head area, PS pump and nearby oil lines, and exhaust header.

16 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-03 06:10 PM)

HIO Silver wrote:

We run six nozzles. One each at the driver and passenger footwell aimed aft as to create a "wall" of suppression. In the engine compartment (E36 BMW), one nozzle at each aimed at potential sources of fire - brake booster n brake lines, intake/head area, PS pump and nearby oil lines, and exhaust header.

What mount points are you using? Underneath what was the dash area? What system? What (type of) vehicle? And by "wall", are you describing a vertical or a horizontal spray pattern?

(I'm much more interested in the cabin than the engine compartment)

Zanetapos wrote:

Thoughts?

The SPA bottles we run only have 4 nozzles and specify 2 in the cockpit and 2 in the engine bay.  They say to mount the inside ones up high (we used the roll bar), aimed down at the driver's (or driver & passenger's lap. They spray in about a 45 degree pattern, so aiming at the lap covers a driver from chest down but allows them to see enough to get out, at least in theory.

Stan: ah, yes, that's one of the other ones I found that had a graphic. I haven't found it again to post here, but that's one of the reasons I asked the question.

19 (edited by Stan in Bham 2024-03-05 11:01 AM)

LNM: I couldn't find any of my graphics or instructions, either, but they were pretty clear.  Probably tossed them right after installing. 

It makes sense, and made me think about it some since I was initially going to aim one at the lap/legs and one at the head/chest.  Reading that made me realize that if aimed at the head, the driver would be blinded by foam and that might slow down an exit, when the intent was really just to buy 15-20 seconds while he/she gets the hell out.

And you could get similar coverage with nozzles mounted to a dashbar (or in the dashboard area) with one aimed at the chest and one aimed at the lap/knees, but not knowing the exact spray pattern it might be harder to avoid spraying the driver's face.

And I don't recall SPA what SPA said about the underhood nozzles. We aimed one at the fuel rail and one at the turbo, with enough angle and separation that much/most of the engine bay should get sprayed.

Like you, we're more worried about the driver than the car.  Driver is a "must-save", car is a "try-to-save".

Below is what I first came across regarding nozzle location, orientation, and spray pattern.

[Separately there is the FIA 8876-2022 "Open cockpit" standard, where the nozzles are  located low, and are directed to the footwell, spraying the waist and below (which makes sense to me).]

These are all specifically "Saloon", or at least 'closed cockpit 'installations:

FEV_FX_G-TEC_3300R3_nozzle:
https://i.postimg.cc/g05GLTsD/FEV_FX_G-TEC_3300R3_nozzle.png
|___
|
Lifeline_Zero_3620_nozzle:
https://i.postimg.cc/q7gkRTsq/Lifeline_Zero_3620_nozzle.png
|___
|
SPA_RP-D_nozzle:
https://i.postimg.cc/bJtpx9Fj/SPA_RP-D_nozzle.png
|___
|
SPA_RP-T_nozzle:
https://i.postimg.cc/2yNm2LPL/SPA_RP-T_nozzle.png
|___
|
SPA_Xtreme-500_nozzle:
https://i.postimg.cc/7h14cYks/SPA_Xtreme-500_nozzle.png
|___

One thing I did that I found useful. I made cardboard cutouts that represented the spray pattern described in the owners manual. Using the cutouts I aimed one so that it would spray at the driver but only as high as mid chest. I didn't want to have chemicals in the driver's eyes when he's got to be focused on getting out asap. The other I aimed at the feet.  The cutouts were useful to visualize where they would spray in the engine bay too.