1 (edited by VKZ24 2024-03-05 09:19 AM)

Topic: Suggestions from Lemons Racers for Consideration By Lemons HQ

After being in Lemons since the very first CMP race, I've witnessed a lots of pretty darn smart folks in the Lemons community.  Lately it's had me thinking that likely many of us may have legitimate suggestions to improve things.  Yeah I know it might sound like we are complaining, but it's just an attempt to toss out new ideas.  This is not to say HQ doesn't do a good job, but everyone has room for improvement.

For example, I think we racers 'suggested' (begged) to be able to clean windshields in the hot pits for over 10 years before it was finally approved.  The pushback from HQ was "If we let you do that, what's next"?  That never made sense to me because at Barber in particular, it really is a safety issue with the afternoon sun.

I know many of us have run with other groups with different rules, with some of those being better and some worse.  I also realize that some ideas may be great, but without staff members to implement them, it doesn't matter.  Here are a few of my 'suggestions' that may or may not warrant future considerations due to various factors, but are at least worthy of some discussion.  AFAIK, Eric is the only Lemons staffer who reads the forum with regularity, so maybe he can pass it up the line.

SMS Group Texting - Other groups use this to keep the herd informed up to the minute and IMO, it works VERY WELL.  Especially for reminding people of driver's meeting time/location, teams needing parts/tools, and teams needing to sell off fuel because their car is FUBAR.  Am I aware of what it would take to implement this?  No.  I am aware this community has a TON of tech savy folks, a few of which might be willing to make it happen via an app or whatever.

Flagging - I guess since I've never done it, I don't really 'get it' as some might say.  I do know that most (all?) tracks have a 'race control' person who is in charge of the flaggers.  Can someone explain why the whole course can't "GO GREEN" at the SAME TIME, after a FCY?  Seems like a call from race control to drop the green (or pull in the yellows) could be made after the course workers all report the track is clear for racing.  I'm sure would eliminate a lot of unnecessary passing under yellow calls.

I know Eric has said the Flagtronics system wouldn't work because "If you can't see a man with a flag, how are you going to see a little box on the dash"?  I initially agreed with him until I had a chance to use the system up at Mid-Ohio last year.  I can't believe how well it worked, ESPECIALLY in the rain.  I realize it's an additional expense on our end (and HQ) but I really think it's worth consideration.

Rain Lights -  Not necessarily the FIA flashing ones, but IMO at least tail lights should be required in the rain.  If you have ever run Road Atlanta you know that coming down the back stretch you can't see jack sh*t with all the spray.  With no tail lights you have no idea how to judge the distance/closing rate.

National Anthem - I'm proud to be an American.  There aren't many sporting events that don't kick off w/o playing our National Anthem.  I'd really like to see it added to our events too, but I realize out of all my 'suggestions' this one is sadly the most likely to fall on dear ears.

So what are some other suggestions you guys and gals may have for possible Lemons HQ consideration?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Re: Suggestions from Lemons Racers for Consideration By Lemons HQ

Some really good ideas here.  Never heard of the messaging system (I've only ever raced Lemons) - but, that does sound extremely useful.  Some of these tracks, it's all but impossible to hear what's coming over the loud speakers. 

Agree on the flagging - I try not to rag too hard on corner workers, because I know it's a tough job (I have the attention span of a gnat, no way I could do it) but it does seem to be quite disjointed sometimes.  And I know it's probably the thing that Lemons has the least control over.  But still.  Would be willing to try out the light things.  Especially if you can choose where they go in the car, just put them right on top of the instrument cluster. 

Rain lights - definitely something to consider/something that's needed.  I know we like to keep cost and complexity down - which is very much appreciated - but I think brake lights are something we're a little too lenient on.  Even in regular daylight races, cars with lights in odd places and extremely dim lights are problematic.  For me, I don't think a special rain light is strictly necessary - I think most car running lights would be sufficient - as long as they reach a certain brightness.  I know we're testing headlight cutoff for 24hr races now (thank god) - for races where rain/fog/etc are likely, I don't think it's unreasonable that if a cars brake lights and/or running lights don't 'look' bright enough, they should be tested with a lux meter, and if they don't pass - well, go get some LED bulbs, auxiliary taillights, etc.  If cars don't have running lights, they could add a battery operated rain light.  That way, almost no one has to change anything about their car, but the 'worst offenders' can be corrected. 

Anthem - No real opinion on that one.  It would be neat, but, logistically, it seems like it would be kind of hard to organize.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

Would be cool if there was some communication on flags ect to ppl in the pits.  At least then teams with radios could tell driver a yellow is out (or red ect).  I have no idea about the logistics of this.  I know drivers should just see flags, but if the goal is safety the more opportunities to communicate flags the better right?

I know we wouldn't want teams to radio "green gogogogo" but...

Zacks wrote:

Would be cool if there was some communication on flags ect to ppl in the pits.  At least then teams with radios could tell driver a yellow is out (or red ect).  I have no idea about the logistics of this.  I know drivers should just see flags, but if the goal is safety the more opportunities to communicate flags the better right?

I know we wouldn't want teams to radio "green gogogogo" but...

Doesn't race monitor report black flags?  I remember seeing it do it at least once.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

5 (edited by Zacks 2024-03-19 01:32 PM)

rb92673 wrote:

Doesn't race monitor report black flags?  I remember seeing it do it at least once.

Well that's news to me.  I'll have to look into that, would have saved me coming in for a black flag that wasn't for me.  (Radiod my team but nobody could give us an answer besides "just come in" until I got to the penalty box for no reason lol.

6 (edited by chaase 2024-03-19 06:17 PM)

My team tested Flagtronics when Lemons did it. It became a distraction and it didn't always match what the flag stand. It is a decent sized item that now blocks part of your vision.We didn't like it and it would be another expense added to a race weekend.

Rain lights are a good idea and probably should've been mandated already...not really a big deal when you are building a car to keep the lights.It doesn't need to be crazy bright and it won't add $$$ to the build.

Don't care if Lemons wants to do the national anthem or not

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Fun fact: We had a vendor for a text system lined up during the Pandemic, but they turned out to not be really what we were looking for. BUT we should have a system to test out very soon.

Rain lights, I'll pass that on to Jay. I think that does add a significant safety element.

Flagtronics...there's a massive hill to climb there convincing us that it's overall a better system for everyone involved. You as very experienced racers can handle lots of information coming at you simultaneously. I would suggest that for complete n00bs, we'd much rather have their eyes up looking at flag stations than driving with their eyes at the end of their hoods with the flag status in their eyeline. There's also a lot more complexity to it from our end beyond how an experienced end user uses it.

(Also, Race Monitor does not default to black flags issued. That requires our timing person to be managing R-M, which is enough of a PITA lately that if it's actually working, the last thing we are going to do is give it more work. Other series do offer Black Flag notifications. This is a learning hospital; we'd much rather our novices--or as is often the case, the not-novices-I-am-expert-racers--figure out for themselves that the black flag is for their homeslice-ass.)

The National Anthem idea is a great gesture, but it's already enough of a feat for us to get cars off the grid Saturday morning that we don't really have the bandwidth to add anything else to it right now.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

8 (edited by VKZ24 2024-03-21 11:59 AM)

Thanks for your response Eric!  It's always good to know that HQ is at least listening to us common folks.  wink 

-Vincent

Captain

I’m not a fan of Flagtronics… SMS notifications are great, I’d be very interested in that getting implemented. At Thunderhill the PA system sounds like there’s a scrambler in use. I like the idea of the National Anthem, and don’t see why it’s that hard… driver’s meeting concludes with playing the recording, unless someone feels like singing it smile

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

VKZ24 wrote:

Can someone explain why the whole course can't "GO GREEN" at the SAME TIME, after a FCY? ... I'm sure would eliminate a lot of unnecessary passing under yellow calls.

The whole track *does* go green at the same time after a FCY. Race Control calls for a green flag, and at that moment, the whole track goes green. This is the norm in North American amateur motorsports, made explicit in the rulebooks for series that like long rulebooks (NASA, SCCA, etc.). Thus, it's how the corner workers are going to operate by default. I'm not aware of anyone getting called for PUY for a trailing FCY in the moments after Race Control has said, "green flag, green flag, all stations drop your flags", at least at any of the races we've been to, though I would be interested to hear counterexamples.

Jeff

Turbo-Encabulators -- 1999 Mazda Miata -- Winner overall, BFE GP '22, runner-up a bunch of times

I'm okay without the national anthem. It's cool and all, but come on.

Are we going to start playing Lee Greenwood at every race? (F that. I'll quit Lemons if I have to hear that song (unless therood is just f'n with me)).

(other content deleted because it had too much dickishness)

That guy

Instead of flagtronics, maybe test out digital flag station markers like what nascar and other series use. Some tracks already have them permanently installed. Seeing bright light flag panels at stations in addition to, or in place of some flag stations would be better than trying to handle rentals, purchasing, syncing, firmware updates, etc... to deal with an in-car unit like flagtronics.

If you really want the national anthem, you can take your team to the nearest flying flag and play your own recording. Its not like most tracks follow traditional American flag flying practice anyways, and playing a recording at any drivers meeting just seems tacky (I've seen it done at AER, NASA and SCCA events and half the people just wander away during it). There's a lot more people present at a race than just drivers.

Rain lights 100% agree with, and we already use one from racing in other series. Maybe it confuses other drivers, maybe not, but Lemons hasn't asked us to turn it off yet. Seeing the pinball effect every year at Road Atlanta and Barber kind of reinforces the need for it.

SMS, take it or leave it. Easy to coordinate but there are still tracks outside of cell phone range of certain providers.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

DirtyDuc wrote:

Are we going to start playing Lee Greenwood at every race? (F that. I'll quit Lemons if I have to hear that song (unless therood is just f'n with me)).

I'm Glad I am not the only one

Cordoba

Nyancar but lee greenwood

BSOD Racing, 1987 Fiat X1/9

Music - agreed; boombox.

(I'm kinda partial to Jimi)

Teuobk wrote:

The whole track *does* go green at the same time after a FCY. Race Control calls for a green flag, and at that moment, the whole track goes green. This is the norm in North American amateur motorsports, made explicit in the rulebooks for series that like long rulebooks (NASA, SCCA, etc.). Thus, it's how the corner workers are going to operate by default. I'm not aware of anyone getting called for PUY for a trailing FCY in the moments after Race Control has said, "green flag, green flag, all stations drop your flags", at least at any of the races we've been to, though I would be interested to hear counterexamples.

The best (easiest) example is at the start of the race.  Say you're at NCM and you are in the keyhole section when S/F drops the green flag.  The keyhole station is still showing a standing yellow, but, but you're teammate who is watching the tower at S/F says "GREEN, GREEN, GREEN" to you on the radio, so you jump 5 cars and are all proud of yourself.  You will (and I have) get called for PUY.  Happens ALL THE TIME.  If it never happened to you, well you might be one of those 5 cars who just got passed.

Captain

KeiCarMike wrote:

If you really want the national anthem, you can take your team to the nearest flying flag and play your own recording. Its not like most tracks follow traditional American flag flying practice anyways, and playing a recording at any drivers meeting just seems tacky (I've seen it done at AER, NASA and SCCA events and half the people just wander away during it). There's a lot more people present at a race than just drivers.

I'll stop right here to avoid get political, but the bolded above says enough to me right there.  I'll just say IMO it's disrespectful and leave it at that.

Captain

KeiCarMike wrote:

Rain lights 100% agree with, and we already use one from racing in other series. Maybe it confuses other drivers, maybe not, but Lemons hasn't asked us to turn it off yet.

AER's (not sure about any other series) rain light rule seems to make the most sense to me.  The light is supposed to be flashing, but must stop flashing and go to solid under braking.

The OTS ones I found were quite pricey for what they are, so I made my own with a LED trailer light and timed relay for about $20.  YMMV.

Captain

Safety gear is free, I found ours (AER Legal) on fleabay for like $120. Easy wiring, flasher on the headlight circuit, otherwise acts as an extra brake light.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Safety gear is free, I found ours (AER Legal) on fleabay for like $120. Easy wiring, flasher on the headlight circuit, otherwise acts as an extra brake light.

Yeah I thought $120 was crazy $$$ for a flashing light, so I made my own.  It was super easy.  Tech guy at AER said it was the first DIY one he has seen that actually worked....LOL.

Captain

Could you post a parts list and diagram of what you made for a rain light, or an online resource?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Could you post a parts list and diagram of what you made for a rain light, or an online resource?

Here's the schematic I came up with:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipN … vm71cJTtsk

Here's the flasher I used.  The flash rate is adjustable.

Amazon Link

Captain

Google says the photo link is 404; the Amazon link is perfect - thanks!

24 (edited by VKZ24 2024-03-26 08:03 AM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Google says the photo link is 404; the Amazon link is perfect - thanks!

I tried it four times (trying to embed an image) but it didn't work.  I guess I'll try it again...

Photo Link

Captain

25 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-26 09:35 AM)

^ works - thanks!
/postimages_dot_org:
https://i.postimg.cc/fyZ4szm2/Screenshot-20240326-125537-Photos.jpg