1 (edited by MZAVARIN 2024-03-09 12:48 PM)

Topic: Upside Down instructions....!

ok, I've never flipped my car, but I've often wondered what it would be like, and wishing there was a simulator to practice, and wondering what to do in various scenarios...obviously, on fire and get out....but otherwise....
it would suck having to wait upside down for track workers, to flip your car....or help you out...but unbuckling and plopping on your head and trying to squirm out your window since I'm sure the door would not open...probably not easy
or if the car was upside down against a wall, trying to get out the passenger side...or the back window
I can't imagine trying to get out of an upside down burning vehicle....and not panicking...

I also imagined that with an A&D driver who was super overweight and a really tight fit in our car, with not a big window....and that really had me worried too...for him....

(I think this is probably important enough that it should be mentioned in the drivers meetings before the race....)

anyway, just thought there might be people with experience, insight, knowledge, opinion, etc....

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: Upside Down instructions....!

I saw a police department had one of those for sale a long while ago, mounted on a trailer.  I can't remember specifics.

From what I've heard, most drivers that are upside down are quite lucid after ending up that way. Obviously unless you're passed out from the impact or G forces, you'll be coursing with adrenaline and probably will be processing a dozen thoughts per second. I've heard of both ways of getting out (before and after being rolled back over). Rolling a car back over to right side up is quite a violent thing as well, so the responders may opt to extract you while you're hanging there.

First things to think about are can you move, is anything obviously broken where you wouldn't want to move. Think about breathing and relaxing your body.

Next is your surrounding safety, car kill switch, is anything smoking or burning or strong fuel smells. Obviously want to not be on fire, but also not great spraying yourself with extinguisher foam/powder if you don't have to.

By now, hopefully there are frantic corner workers arriving on scene to assist you, but if you're already trying to remove yourself from the car at that point just think about what is now your floor. Most cars have a pretty empty roof pan, and a pretty strong halo cage, which makes for a pretty clear flat surface to "land on" when you unbuckle yourself.

Not really any way around it. you're gonna drop like a brick if you unbuckle yourself upside down. Best advice would probably to try and be in a tucked position or try to brace your fall against the roof with one arm while unbuckling with the other.

You probably won't black out just from hanging upside down (even your grandma on her teeter hangups can go for 5-10 minutes without issue). So try and communicate clearly with the emergency responders and work your way out.

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

Here is a great example of the window not being big enough in a rollover:

https://youtu.be/VvoGaoeecjo?si=oG9Q8-BY4oVhvwhN

Good thing the car was not on fire.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

The above linked video is disturbing.

Anyone have any idea what model car that was?

Looks like 56 seconds from the time the car came to rest until the driver got out.

Driver couldn't get his helmet out the window he eventually crawled out of (feet first), so he had to remove it (!!!???!!!).

And couldn't work the helmet strap with his gloves on, so to get out, he has to spend about 30 seconds _after_ removing his gloves to remove his helmet and get out.

That's ... ummm ... not good at all.

Question for judges: to consider the case of a rollover or other impact which would prevent opening one or both doors, is the window opening checked at tech to ensure - at a minimum - a helmet can pass through the stock window opening via at least one orientation?

Size of the window opening and ease of egress was the concern of one of my first posts, where I ask coupe / sedan preference.

None of my candidates will have that as an issue when complete - at least not for a helmet my size.

Because of that linked video, I'm revisiting that concern.

_Damn_ good thing that car wasn't on fire.

Guessing from the guy's YT profile and seemingly spec class race he was in, it was a spec iron mustang, 5th generation.

From what I recall, Lemons tech has only ever checked to see if the driver can egress the car quickly from a seated position, and I don't recall them ever preventing someone from doing it with the door open. We can do this in under 10 seconds with the door closed, our doors are cut specifically to allow better egress though which is something not all teams do.

In the mustang's case it looks like the halo bar is a bit lower than it could have been. It also sounds like people were standing around outside instead of helping this guy out (hence cheering in background when he eventually exits).

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

7 (edited by MZAVARIN 2024-03-11 06:33 AM)

I recently watched an IMSA race and looks like they have a big inflatable bag that they use under a car as they roll it upright so that it does not plop on the ground really hard....good idea!

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

MZAVARIN wrote:

I recently watched an IMSA race and looks like they have a big inflatable bag that they use under a car as they roll it upright so that it does not plop on the ground really hard....good idea!

Something tells me that most of the tracks Lemons goes to can't afford the "AMR Safety Crew" and specialized equipment like that while keeping the budget under $2k for team registration. Cool concept though, but more designed to save $200k cars, not our crappy Lemons candidates.

9 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-11 07:55 AM)

KeiCarMike wrote:

Guessing from the guy's YT profile and seemingly spec class race he was in, it was a spec iron mustang, 5th generation.
[snip]
... It also sounds like people were standing around outside instead of helping this guy out (hence cheering in background when he eventually exits).

So a coupe. But with regard to the window opening, the driver is ... what I'd describe as a normal American adult male physically past their prime; which, like me, now, includes a bit of comfort padding around the middle ;-). So his body is outside the car - which is great - but he can't get the helmet out the f'n window??!!??

Comment by the video poster indicates he lost it on the outside of turn 3 at Roebling, and 'turn 3 is off camber on the outside'.

According to the map, going off at that turn puts you right next to the paddock and RV hookups, which explains the cheering, and I'm guessing the wheat colored lines are protective barriers:

https://i.postimg.cc/7hjMvhsr/Screenshot-20240311-104541-Adobe-Acrobat.jpg

So what I took away from that video was make sure there is nothing on the inside of the roof that will hurt the driver if he has to crawl on it, and make sure both window exits are f'n big enough to get out of with your gear on.

This ^

12 (edited by Zacks 2024-03-11 10:35 AM)

Wow that would suck, glad my windows aren't that small...  Might not matter if you actually flip, but what are the rules about this?  I known they say you get banned for a year or w/e but at drivers meetings they always say never get out of the car unless it's on fire.  I don't recall anything being said about rolling, and honestly I feel if I rolled not dying would supercede "getting in trouble" but anyone know the official stance on that?

Also if he had been on fire would really not wanna take gear off...

13 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-11 11:23 AM)

Zacks, not really a choice there. Watch the video.

Let me repeat:

"Looks like 56 seconds from the time the car came to rest until the driver got out.

Driver couldn't get his helmet out the window he eventually crawled out of (feet first), so he had to remove it (!!!???!!!).

And couldn't work the helmet strap with his gloves on, so to get out, he has to spend about 30 seconds _after_ removing his gloves to remove his helmet and get out."

Not good.

EDIT:
And now I'm trying to decide whether, in the above case, if there _was_ a fire, whether that situation would be survivable.

So not to rain on things. but he was able to get out through driver side. than changed his mind and tried ass first. i only assume he might have got stuck or hanged on the window net; or maybe hans.

I newer been sunny side down yet. but like all emergencies, got to stay cool. kill switch off. smell fire? extinguisher on. support your weight, undo seat belt. figure best exit hole, calmly exit the vehicle. wave to the fans.

in terms of car stuff, got to think it as what is up now is down. anything loose is projectile. rough underside of the roof, now you crawling barefoot on "Lego"

https://www.facebook.com/greatglobsofoil/
This car....Is said to have a will of it's Own. Twisting its own body in rage...It accelerates on.
1978 Opel/Buick Isuzu(C>B>C>B) , 1996 Nissan Maxima OnlyFans (B) , Sold 1996 Ford Probe GT(B),

15 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2024-03-11 12:06 PM)

I respectfully disagree in that he _was_ able to get his _helmet_ through the driver side window opening, but wasn't able to get a second shoulder through (the rest I agree with).

Hans, window net, cutoff switch, seat bolsters, steering stalk, debris outside - doesn't matter, he changed direction.

Also: I didn't originally notice, but he seemed to be struggling physically enough that he opened his visor for air. So that took WAY too long for him.

The more I look at this, the more I think - right side up, or upside down - doesn't matter. Exit needs to be clean, and to me, that means _both_ front windows, including the path to the passenger side. I'm going to look at the dash and tranny tunnel of my primary candidate again with this video in mind.

16 (edited by Zacks 2024-03-11 04:35 PM)

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Zacks, not really a choice there. Watch the video.

Let me repeat:

"Looks like 56 seconds from the time the car came to rest until the driver got out.

And couldn't work the helmet strap with his gloves on, so to get out, he has to spend about 30 seconds _after_ removing his gloves to remove his helmet and get out."

Not good.

EDIT:
And now I'm trying to decide whether, in the above case, if there _was_ a fire, whether that situation would be survivable.

I think you misunderstood me.  I meant I wouldn't want to take gear off in a fire as in omg that would suck I didn't think of checking that (although our window is huge so...) and wow I might not want that car... 
I am not criticizing the driver's actions, especially under pressure (maybe criticizing car choice or the engineering of said car not sure.)

It didn't read as if you had read what I wrote; I'm frequently long-winded (or verbose), so I'm used to people skipping over my opinion ;-)

The car was racing at a closed track; they have safety rules including cages and seats, and likely can also race in at least some open series.

I don't remember any Lemons rules about getting out of a rollover; I attended a rookie and a driver's meeting, but it was years ago. I'm with you, though, if the car is upside down *and on the grass, not the track*, I think getting out early is prudent. *On* track is a different case - given that other cars could be driving by at speed.

"On fire" is different.

I'm probably spending too much thought on the really bad potential of this. Most collisions don't result in fires.

But criminy, not being able to get - at least the helmet - through the second window opening, without taking off my gloves to loosen the strap ... frankly, scares me.

Push come to shove, I'll get my belly through the opening like a (NYC/Texas/Florida, fill in your fav) cockroach runs under a stove.

But the helmet with its strap, and my skeletal structure, is different. Those window openings need to be large enough to get out before they get to the track.

And - my opinion - any window opening that doesn't allow at least a helmet out - with the door closed - should fail tech.

I guess that's another good argument for stripping the interior; I'll be able to get the cage tighter to the edges, which I think will make it easier to get out.

I apologize for the thread drift, but this is good information for me to consider before I measure for the cage.

And - my opinion - any window opening that doesn't allow at least a helmet out - with the door closed - should fail tech.

It's covered under 3.6.4 in "All drivers must be able to exit the car rapidly under potentially life-threatening conditions. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT EVERY TEAM MEMBER PRACTICE EMERGENCY CAR ESCAPES BEFORE RACING!"

Tech inspectors do an amazing job, but everyone getting on the track must also do their part.

rb92673 wrote:

It's covered under 3.6.4 in "All drivers must be able to exit the car rapidly under potentially life-threatening conditions. IT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT THAT EVERY TEAM MEMBER PRACTICE EMERGENCY CAR ESCAPES BEFORE RACING!"

Tech inspectors do an amazing job, but everyone getting on the track must also do their part.

^Agreed. Builders first, tech second, and individual drivers third.

Again, though, this is a different organization - _not_ Lemons.

And your point brings this thread back to the original subject - which concerns exiting the racecar when upside down.

I see what you did there. Nicely done!