Topic: Temporary Numbers and Magnets

I am really surprised that there is not hundreds of answers to the question as to whether or not we can use magnets for temporary numbers when we can't get our favorite number in a race.

I don't see anything prohibiting it - but I have never seen anyone use a magnet at the races.  So I cm confused.

If we put numbers on a magnet and secure it with clear duct tape, is it OK or will the answer be "numbers are hard" smile

Thanks in advance.

Re: Temporary Numbers and Magnets

In the northeast, its a lot of the same cars and teams. I think most cars of settled on their numbers and just paint them on. We make sure to sign up as soon as the schedule is out to guarantee it.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Once I have a car with a number - I do the "bum rush the signup page" to get my fav number (pissing off the other 3 people that want the same number) - but if I make a new car mid-season and want a cool permanent number but can't get it for the next race, then what do I do?

drchuck wrote:

Once I have a car with a number - I do the "bum rush the signup page" to get my fav number (pissing off the other 3 people that want the same number) - but if I make a new car mid-season and want a cool permanent number but can't get it for the next race, then what do I do?

Magnetic numbers should be fine as long as they meet the number requirements and stay attached. We have a couple of Saturns so magnetic is not really an option for us.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

We used magnetic numbers for a while the benefit being we could swap between 87 and 78 if numbers are taken.  Never needed to tape them down.  The only time they came off was when the truck rolled.

1975 Chevy LUV.  1 Corinthians 13:7
1999 Chevy Blazer

By the way, if whoever has #77 for gingerman next month is reading this, if you want free beer in trade for #7 hit me up big_smile

1989 Merkur XR4Ti: Project Merkur Space Program - Wins: Class C - Colonel and the Sinkhole 2023 | "Heroic Fix" The Pitt Maneuver 2023 | "Halloween Meets Gasoline" The Pitt Maneuver 2022
1980 Dodge Challenger: Most Extreme eLemonAtion Challenger (Rust Belt Ramble 2021 Dishonorable Mention)

I tried magnetic numbers for rallyx years ago.  They blew off.  Granted I cut out numbers,  maybe a full sheet of magnet with a painted number would hold better but I'd tape it on as well, would be a dumb reason to lose track time

I just went back to painters tape for rallyx back when I still did that.  Dunno if that would be OK for Lemons, we painted our numbers on, but chose a common number which was a bad idea lol.  (Number was a theme thing)

8 (edited by drchuck 2024-04-05 08:36 PM)

Hey KeiCarMike - Great Idea - If the person with 21 at Gingerman wants to trade for 2 - there is a case of Old Milwaukee waiting for you. smile

drchuck wrote:

Hey KeiCarMike - Great Idea - If the person with 21 at Gingerman wants to trade for 2 - there is a case of Old Milwaukee waiting for you. smile

You guys can email me and I can forward it to the holder of the number. No guarantee they will get back to you or care, but I can be the conduit for this stuff.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Huskar wrote:

We used magnetic numbers for a while the benefit being we could swap between 87 and 78 if numbers are taken.  Never needed to tape them down.  The only time they came off was when the truck rolled.

A very 24 Hours of Lemons product review.

Cordoba

We use numbers mounted on magnetic sheets, black on white. We never had any issues with them blowing off (buy the heavier magnetic sheet, not the cheap stuff), but at one race the tech inspectors insisted we tape them down so we've taped the edges with electrical tape since.  Don't use Gorilla or other good quality duct tape on cars with 20+ year old paint, unless planning to repaint anyway.

One race we left the numbers behind.  Tape on the doors works fine as long as it is legible.