Re: PRO teams

RobL wrote:
icemang17 wrote:
RobL wrote:

How do you know that you haven't?

I have yet to see a pit crew of 7+ guys all wearing identical outfits rip off a pit stop in under 20 seconds..... 

But it would be hard to get the driver out in time too!!! 

I am quite proud of our pit team.....we get it done....good enough for Lemons anyway....

We all get it done.  My point is that you may have seen a NASCAR crew (or at least guys who work on a NASCAR crew) over the wall and never known it.  As you point out, if you have to get the driver out to refuel, then the stop is going to take longer.  And without the dry break rigs that are using on PRO cars, you aren't going to see gallons dumped in in under 20seconds.

You all might want to listen to RobL...Those who work, crew, build NASCARs are at races(just hasnt been the big-name drivers until now).  I have been to CMP 2008, CMP spring 2009, Ohio 2009, and a few Chumpcar races.  I dont pit a car on Sunday(that travelling deal got old, quick, and I like my weekends), but I do build the cars.  I know plenty of people that work or have ties to teams.....THEY ARE AT THE EVENTS.

Some of Jimmy Johnsons pit crew did the Rockingham race for ChumpCar at Rockingham.  They bought a Kia on Tuesday, caged it on Wednesday, entered the race on Thursday, traveled and tech'd on Friday and raced on Saturday.  Yeah, we beat em!  smile

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Did someone say Nascar crew at Lemons??? Been done!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs092.snc3/15956_186376019858_722419858_3798268_6338536_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs092.snc3/15956_192436829858_722419858_3873065_4274551_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs092.snc3/15956_192436819858_722419858_3873064_4358854_n.jpg

fabtoys wrote:

Jay Leno was at the first Lemons with a fiero and blew it up .

You sure about that?  If so, how the hell did I miss that?  I don't remember anyone saying anything about it at that race.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

30 (edited by Jer 2010-04-05 05:44 PM)

We paddocked next to the tean from Hendrick Motorsports and the team from Red Bull.  We were two down from the Stewart hass circus.  I had a great fear that they were going to roll super cheaters off the trailer.  We even heard that SHR were willing to donate the cars for charity becase it was a good cause.  But they rolled off these cars and it was "ok, they're crapcans."  Nothing special, just cars.  The Camaro Tony drove was the most reliable and fastest of the three, but probably barely got into the top ten in terms of fastest cars.  I actually talked to him and he really liked the track (duh!)

While the SHR guys pretty much kept to themselves, ther much lower profile teams from the Jeff Gordon and Scott Speed camps were regular Joes.  They all discussed coming to this race during the rainout at Martinsville, and the Hendrick guys just bought an automatic Neon a week ago.  They came with 480 treadware worn out street tires and were trying to get some others mounted at 3:30 AM when they blew out the first set.  They were not fast on the track but were courteous and doing much appreciated point bys.  They said they learned a lot and promised to return next year. 

All in all it was outstanding to have them there.  The Red Bull guys finished 2nd and commented on the clean racing and the good times.  I hope more come out.  And I get to say I got passed by Tony Stewart.  Wish the reverse was true, but it was still super neat.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I think it's great. I would love to wreck Kyle Busch during a race....

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

32 (edited by rockwood 2010-04-06 11:51 AM)

jw33 wrote:

I think it's great. I would love to wreck Kyle Busch during a race....

I'm sure you could swing that if you were a real sweet guy and kept buying him drinks... big_smile

Spinnetti wrote:

Depends... If the "Pro" team is fully funding and supporting it as opposed to just people from a pro team just participating, yeah, they'll kick your ass most likely. Even on the same budget, somebody that knows what they are doing with the machine and how to run a team will get up front pretty easy.

As always, one triumph of Lemons is that each of us can race our own race!

Want to pull a pro team together and prep a car to 110%, put a skilled driver in it and 'win' on laps?  Go right ahead.

Want to go backcountry barn-find hunting and see what you fish out?  Have at it.

Want to carry a torch for a defunct marque, show us non-believers the light, and earn semi-eternal glory?  Go for it!

Your 'winning' your 'race' doesn't take away from my 'victory'. . . particularly if we both help each other get across the finish line.

Also, what does it mean that I can recognize somewhere between 1/3 and a 1/2 of the teams entering for the May Thunderhill race, but these pro NASCAR names are nothing more than vaguely familiar?

34 (edited by icemang17 2010-04-06 09:43 PM)

fleming95 wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Depends... If the "Pro" team is fully funding and supporting it as opposed to just people from a pro team just participating, yeah, they'll kick your ass most likely. Even on the same budget, somebody that knows what they are doing with the machine and how to run a team will get up front pretty easy.

As always, one triumph of Lemons is that each of us can race our own race!

Want to pull a pro team together and prep a car to 110%, put a skilled driver in it and 'win' on laps?  Go right ahead.

Want to go backcountry barn-find hunting and see what you fish out?  Have at it.

Want to carry a torch for a defunct marque, show us non-believers the light, and earn semi-eternal glory?  Go for it!

Your 'winning' your 'race' doesn't take away from my 'victory'. . . particularly if we both help each other get across the finish line.

Also, what does it mean that I can recognize somewhere between 1/3 and a 1/2 of the teams entering for the May Thunderhill race, but these pro NASCAR names are nothing more than vaguely familiar?

VERY well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Its all about getting out there!!!!  Having a running car that finishes the race is an excellent BONUS!!!  I wonder how my team stacks up to the above list?

1:  Pro team.....boy would that be nice....I'm just happy someone helps me!! 
2:  backcountry......well I did find the 928 sitting in my neighbors driveway for a year
3:  Torch:  I am most proud of this...yes its a "porsche"...but not one Porsche EVER raced!!!  & we are the only 928 wagon EVER raced....(or so I like to think)
4:  SPIRIT OF Lemons......this is the most important aspect of the race!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

35 (edited by Mulry 2010-04-07 07:42 AM)

fleming95 wrote:

I think it means that you are extremely well adjusted. smile Although I have to admit that I've gotten a lot more familiar with NASCAR racing over the last 18 months as I'll often have a Cup race on the TV in the garage while working on the car in the summertime.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.