Topic: Explain Your Curse Criteria

Judge Martin and myself half argued this back and forth and back and forth some more, until we just settled on the fact that different regions of the country vote the Curse differently.

For instance, in California the curse goes to the team that drives the worst. This usually means the teams stocked with the biggest metal-on-metal, chicane dive-bombing assholes.

In Texas the curse seems to go to the team that people think are cheating are the hardest. That's another way of saying everyone hates that one Miata team. In our eyes, it's like a Hatfield/McCoy thing.

South Carolina seems to be like California in some ways, and Texas in other ways. The first race, the evil Salazar Racing E30 got the knife for not only cheating their BMW asses off, but for driving like De Niro was chasing them through Nice with a rocket launcher. And last race, the devil may care cheatin' uber-Stang got the curse for not only cheating (we finally got 'em!) but for one of their driver's being a real dick (they had a police siren and he would get up on people in the corners when he wanted to pass and blast the siren, creating much animosity).

So... how do you decide on the Curse?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Re: Explain Your Curse Criteria

Um, we're from Texas. It kinda goes back to the good 'ole boy thing; if your word is no good, we dont want you. Can we bring back hangin?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

Um, we're from Texas. It kinda goes back to the good 'ole boy thing; if your word is no good, we dont want you. Can we bring back hangin?

agreed... if it were up to us, we'd tie a rope around the car and drag it down the backroads behind an F450, blowing black smoke the whole way, chunking empty beer cans at it

E30's should all go up in flames...

And, that's part of why I no longer live in Texas...

Bernal Dads Racing

Current cars: #245 Volvo, #670 Coming Soon!
Former cars: #38 Alfa Romeo Milano Cookie, #243 Molvo—Judge's Choice Sears Pointless 2011 (You like us! You really like us!)

5 (edited by RobL 2009-06-11 06:44 AM)

In general terms, we vote for the people we want to leave. 

In SC we voted for the teams that eventually got the curse both times.  Both times it was because they were being dicks on the track.  OK, you have a fast cheater car - do you also have to track out into us and force us in to the dirt too? 

In Stafford last year, we voted for a team that did not get the curse for nearly the same reason - they would give no quarter on the track.  We did not specifically agree with the Merc getting the curse at Stafford, but we understood it.  They were slow, knew it, and were guilty of not getting out of the way of the people who could and wanted to go fast.

[Schumacher Taxi Service]

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

At the first CMP race our team voted for team Salazar for the reasons you stated, but mostly because of their driving, not their cheating.  IMO, cheating is up to the JUDGES to decide and give them the proper penalties.  At the spring race the funny thing (IMO) about the Mustang guys is they were SO much faster they didn't need to drive the way they did.  From the lap times (with my stopwatch) they were 10 seconds per lap faster than 95% of the the cars.  Of course they were cheating, but if you are THAT much faster, why not just wait for an easy chance to pass?  There was no need for some of their on-track manuevers, but they got their punishment eventually.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

RobL wrote:

In SC we voted for the teams that eventually got the curse both times.  Both times it was because they were being dicks on the track.  OK, you have a fast cheater car - do you also have to track out into us and force us in to the dirt too?

I agree 100%.  When you are faster than most of the cars why drive like a dick?

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

The curse is for the the team that goes against the spirit of Lemons the most.  Anti social?  Not good.  No theme?  Bad.  Cheater car?  Bad.  Drive like a dick?  Very bad.  Add these wonderful qualities up and your car has just won an all expense paid trip to the crusher!

It's simple.  If you do something to make the rest of us not like you,  you're toast.

Mike
Lab Rats Motorsports
1988 Mitsubishi/Dodge/Fiat Colt Carpocalypse Edition

9 (edited by Jer 2009-06-11 06:56 AM)

The Mustang guys at CMP were off the track a lot with car problems, so they were absolutely no threat to win.  But they drove like bungholes and that freakin siren annoyed everyone. 

I was surprised the Mercedes got the curse in Stafford, I didn't see the logic of cursing them just because they were slow.  That Jaguar was almost as slow.  The Volvo was only a step better.

From my point of view, I'd curse drivers who just take and do not give on the track.  You're fast and clean?  Okay.  You're fast and dirty?  Cursed.  You're slow and dirty?  Cursed.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I would only vote for a team that pissed me off.  On or off track.  I voted Jihad because they woke me up at 3am, denying a piece of my 4 hours of sleep.  And they snaked a borrowed welder that we were next in line for.  If not for that I wouldn't have voted for anyone.  Everyone was great on track and in the paddock.  I could have cared less about the Miata cheaters.  I figure penalizing cheater cars is up to the judges. (the Miata should have recd more than 25 laps)

11 (edited by sbarton 2009-06-16 12:02 PM)

Shouldn't BS inspection be for a taking care of the cheaters?  Got an illegally fast car?  Here's your 150 laps, good luck making that up.  Who cares if a cheater car is super fast on the track.  They're never going to make up the laps.  Why worry about them?  I would think that as long as they drive clean with courtesy and respect they would be about as annoying as a super slow car, no? 

The curse should be for taking care of the A-holes on the track (and maybe even off the track too).  Think your god's gift to motorsports and you can bump and dive bomb your way around the track?  Here's your free ticket to the crusher. 

If a team is really fast and somehow made it though BS inspection with little laps they either where actually able to build a legit fast car on the cheap or the somehow managed to pull the wool over Judge Jonny, Judge Leiberman, and Judge Murilee.  Either way, good for them.  Go talk to them and see how they did it.  It's got to be an interesting story to pull that off. 

Still intent on voting for a team just b/c they are fast, see rule 2.4.  wink

-Scott

Scott Barton

I kinda thought cheater cars got theirs in Tech with penalty laps. We looked more for actions on the track and pits for our "curse" votes. We wouldnt vote for the fastest car, (thats just Bullshit) or the slowest car if they held their line and drove nice. Our first Race we were defiantly slow (still not the fastest the last race) but didnt drive like jerks. The Judges even called us "Quality Drivers"... a term I use today to tease my wife with in Houston traffic when she bitchs. smile

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

Jer wrote:

I was surprised the Mercedes got the curse in Stafford, I didn't see the logic of cursing them just because they were slow.  That Jaguar was almost as slow.  The Volvo was only a step better.

i didn't even see the merc on track at stafford other than when they came back out after the curse.  the jag was slow and big but i didn't see them being a-holes.   the volvo when i was out there was slow and throwing blocking moves on me.  i don't even remember who our team voted for.

i definitely see some more strong opinions on the curse coming out this year at stafford now that the size of the field has more than doubled

It really depends. My personal order of operation: If one team is out there driving like douchebags, hitting people, causing unnecessary grief (The Sumbitch Camaro at Altamont 07 is a good example), they'll get the vote.

If there are no idiot drivers that we can see, I'll normally vote for who I perceive is the biggest cheater, regardless of whether they are in spitting distance of winning or not (although in a past race, my vote for biggest cheater ended up winning the race).

I won't ever penalize a team who is doing really well if their car looks legit. The Eyesore's Miata is obviously fast (they did win, after all), but I couldn't ever vote for them because I've followed the build up of their car and know it's legit, plus they're a great group of folks who "get" the race.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I think it should who is the biggest Aholes on the track .

In the past Ca. events

Camaro was like drift king and bumped and grinded past you

740 bmw  Were clean driver but everyone was jealous

Mazdasaurus were A holes on track for 2 races and were also voted@ reno

Copcar because no one crushed one before clean drivers .

There is so many fast cars/drivers out there   the Ecrappe Alladente is fast  and the Martini 914 not very fast in the straights but these never slow down for corners and  hardlt contact .

I think cheaters should just get more laps or the option to leave race or get cushed .
If someone has 400 penalty laps they got nothing to lose/win and will drive like Aholes .

We should have options of penalty

take there 200 treadwear  tires of and throw some 500 treadwear or space saver tires

Revlimiter to like 3500 rpm

Maybe a ghetto blaster playing Judge liebermann calling you a cheater and all sorts of stuff on autoreverse.

just a couple of thoughts there

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

We now have a "nobody" option on the Curse ballots, by the way.

While I haven't voted for one yet I will be at my first race in Stafford, my criteria in order of importance:

1. Drive like complete dicks (fast or slow)
2. Act like dicks as well
3. Cheating their balls off

Or any combonation of course.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Rumrunner wrote:

I kinda thought cheater cars got theirs in Tech with penalty laps

True, but consider it a 'checks and balances' sort as well... a lot of people thought the black miata was a hella-cheater car... they got a 25 lap penalty in tech... "the people" thought that wasn't enough....

E30's should all go up in flames...

19 (edited by Stevo 2009-06-11 12:35 PM)

Judge Jonny wrote:

driving like De Niro was chasing them through Nice with a rocket launcher.

OMG Ronin is a great "sleeper" movie.  Best car chases EVAR.

I personally like the "Jay's Volvo" write-in at Reno... I wonder how well that would have gone over smile

I am in awe over the crushing of the Orange Van... Kudo's to the staff of Lemons for improvising.  I didn't have many run-ins with the Swine Flew integra... so I was totally happy with the de-nosing.

FreeRange wrote:

I personally like the "Jay's Volvo" write-in at Reno... I wonder how well that would have gone over smile

Jay needs to be forced to return to the Hammerite Alfa as his daily driver. Totally reliable!

my votes goes for the team i feel is not representing the race the best.  If it is excessive cheating, bad attitude, or driving poorly.

at NPR the race was very clean in comparison to MSR a few months earlier, so we voted for the person we felt was cheating the most. die black miata

It's a Miata, get him........

weaksauce wrote:

at NPR the race was very clean in comparison to MSR a few months earlier, so we voted for the person we felt was cheating the most. die black miata

See thats whats weird because we ran the Texas races and found the February race to be fairly cleanly run. Granted there were a few teams more aggresive then others but all and all pretty relaxed. Funny how teams see things differently.

1980 Chevy Malibu Classic

Out of three races I've voted for the curse once.  It was for the guys who were playing that stupid song at 2:30 in the morning and knocking guys out in their pits.  Being in a mid pack car, what I find most annoying on track are slow cars that fight for track position.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

Usually don't bother voting because usually no one impresses us as that big an ass. I think we did help cast down the infamous BMW at Altamont 10-1007. Bringing a $30000 car to race $500 car certainly rates as huge assholes.