Re: Explain Your Curse Criteria

random_tox wrote:

Usually don't bother voting because usually no one impresses us as that big an ass. I think we did help cast down the infamous BMW at Altamont 10-1007. Bringing a $30000 car to race $500 car certainly rates as huge assholes.

In those guys' defense, that 740i was an untitled, unregisterable, salvaged, theft-recovered POS. They couldn't sell it, and they couldn't drive it on the street, so they raced it in the Lemons. Personally I thought that was pretty cool.

Plus, it would be one thing if they brought a WRX--it was a frickin' 7 series. It's not like they were going to win....

(And since when are '01 740is worth 30 grand?!)

I personally go with driving like an asshole as main criteria. At CMP '08 the Salazar guys divebombed at the chicane every chance they got which was bad enough but when they passed me under yellow (and yes I DO have video to back that up!) why they got MY vote.

'09 was a bit harder, the siren was aggravating but not by itself enough for the Curse (unless you count the 2AM demo mad ). I watched from the fence, saw a couple of them driving like complete assholes, that sealed the deal for me. Seeing the YouTube where the guy nonchalantly says '$5k in engine work' told me I made the right choice. There were other teams cheating probably just as bad but at least they weren't being pricks about it.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

At the Reno race we voted "nobody" for the curse as the teams that were likely cheating were either penalized heavily or had problems and with a very few exceptions everyone was polite on-track and a fun bunch off-track. I think the organizers did exactly the right thing by not crushing anyone and I was totally impressed that Jay crushed his own van, that raised my already-high impression of him up another couple of notches, well done!

RogueLeader wrote:

my criteria in order of importance:

1. Drive like complete dicks (fast or slow)
2. Act like dicks as well
3. Cheating their balls off

This is pretty much it for me, too.  Cheaters, I don't mind so much because they probably got enough penalty laps to offset their speed.
People being jerkoffs, though, I don't get.  This race is to racing like the Doo-Dah Parade is to the Rose Parade.  This is supposed to be fun.  I have to remind myself of that in the heat of battle, but it's about hurtling crapcans around at Ludicrous Speed™.

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

I vote "least spirit" - Combo of worst driving, least lemony car and worst (or no) theme.   By default, any Miata or BMW e30 is up for curse selection, but if they drive courteously and have  good themes (like the SR71 Miata or the Drifto dogs whom we've raced with 3 times now I think), then then they fall off the curse radar. The Mustang at CMP was just too fast, and they scared the crap out of me rolling up with that siren (though it was speed/driving, not the siren that got them my vote). I'm sick of the BMWs, so they are generally my first pick.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

We used to just vote for Fantasy Junction(25 hours of thunderhill car)  because they always run in to us!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
random_tox wrote:

Usually don't bother voting because usually no one impresses us as that big an ass. I think we did help cast down the infamous BMW at Altamont 10-1007. Bringing a $30000 car to race $500 car certainly rates as huge assholes.

In those guys' defense, that 740i was an untitled, unregisterable, salvaged, theft-recovered POS. They couldn't sell it, and they couldn't drive it on the street, so they raced it in the Lemons. Personally I thought that was pretty cool.

Plus, it would be one thing if they brought a WRX--it was a frickin' 7 series. It's not like they were going to win....

I loved that they got that thing back on the track - I especially loved that it was bent down about 3" in the middle of it and the exhaust was pretty much open at that point.  It sounded *so* sweet!

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

Whoever drives like complete dicks for sure.

I've raced both races at MSR Houston and the most recent race at NPR in New Orleans.

October Lemons we voted for Schwing who put a friend of ours through the tire chicane and skated on the penalty.

February @ MSR, I wrote in Jay's rental.  Isn't a run in with construction equipment covered under the insurance?

June @ MPR I voted No One as our first choice and Cajun Gihad as a second choice.

I think the curse really needs to be earned!  Jay's intent of the curse is NOT for cheaters but the biggest assholes on the track.  You can see him state that in the videos from Octane TV.

If everyone plays nice I think no one should be punished.

Regarding Phillips and the #2 Miata.  They put minimal effort in their car after two previous curses and I don't blame them.  They played nice and still got screwed.  Sucks for them but I am glad it wasn't me.

The rest of you cursing cars for being fast or cheaters, I think you should all be considered whinners.

My car has been deemed a Hella Cheater by Jonny and Phil but never receieved any penalty laps.  I've got lots of documentation, they don't believe me and give me a hard time but still no penalties.

At NPR the car did not run quite right and we weren't really on the fast lap board.  The car still ran pretty good but the competition was that much better.  Teams are building better cars now.

The two races at MSR were like night and day different.  Very little bumping in February and the cars were way faster.  I've never seen the penalty box as busy as it was in October.  I just haven't seem Curse-worthy behavior.

I will ONLY vote for teams driving like assholes.  These cars cost way more the $500 to build and have a ton of labor in them.  I find no joy in watching a car get crushed.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Peoples curse translated in Lemons  is Biggest asshole!!!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Ass hats got our vote at the last two CMP events.  We're slow, we let you by, we drive clean and all we ask for is a little respect.  Drive like a dick and we'll sick the crusher on you.

Troy wrote:

Blah Blah Blah

You know Troy, your car is one of the very few with a lazier, worse theme than the Cursed Miata Spec guys.

What is your theme, dented and shitty looking?

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

We need to find a costume company to come out with costumes.
I think if teams don't show up with theme like the said or its gay dress them up and have other teams spray paint there cars !!

It's the driving.

I don't care about the car, its cheater suspension, its cheater engine, or its crappy theme. None of those has any effect on my fun. You get my vote if you drive like an ass and get me or my teammates black-flagged because you dive-bombed into a corner and hit us or caused us to go off the track to avoid hitting you.

Bernal Dads Racing

Current cars: #245 Volvo, #670 Coming Soon!
Former cars: #38 Alfa Romeo Milano Cookie, #243 Molvo—Judge's Choice Sears Pointless 2011 (You like us! You really like us!)

Yes its about the driving on the course in the end

But cheaters  should be getting penalty laps.

But remember that the whole reason for the theme is to have fun and weed out all the serious racers that can't have fun !

brandon wrote:

It's the driving.

I don't care about the car, its cheater suspension, its cheater engine, or its crappy theme. None of those has any effect on my fun. You get my vote if you drive like an ass and get me or my teammates black-flagged because you dive-bombed into a corner and hit us or caused us to go off the track to avoid hitting you.

agreed.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

We vote in this order
1) Driving like a dick
2) Passing under Yellow (and not getting a black flag)
3) Massive cheaters who didnt get penalized at tech

Team Formula BMW
Finishing order: 44th, 44th, 19th, 10th, 5th, 10th, 5th
We will win some day smile

We've run 5 Lemons so far, and have always voted for the asshole drivers.

That being said, it's even easier to vote for dick drivers that were obviously cheating too, like the Fantasy Junction cars.

The ex-Touring Car Mazda was ridiculous, and the Integra was just as bad. One of the guys on our team saw this exact same car in the Grassroots Motorsports Classifieds, six or seven months before the race, for something like $7k. Fantasy Junction was the seller.

Driving While Awesome #44
Porsche 944
BMW 325e

I have not raced in Lemons yet, so I don't have much clout, but to me, the Curse should go to the team that just doesn't "get it".  That includes taking the race too seriously to the point of blatent cheating, consistantly driving like dicks, not having fun with the rest of the participants, etc.  This is not NASCAR, FIA, or even SCCA - and it doesn't WANT to be any of those sanctioning bodies.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I have not raced in Lemons yet,..

In a race with 100 or so cars, you will never be able to meet all the teams.  You won't be able to see which ones have the spirit or don't.  But you will be able to look out on the track while you are driving or watching and see the few asshats that are ruining it for everyone.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

That makes sense Rob

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

RobL wrote:

You won't be able to see which ones have the spirit or don't.

http://jalopnik.com/assets/images/gallery/12/2009/04/thumb800x800_3454271689_b6a2dcedfa_o.jpg

Oh, you can spot the teams that have the correct Lemons sprit. Note Merkur XR4Ti, beer steins, homemade lederhosen.

Rob Stercraw wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
random_tox wrote:

I loved that they got that thing back on the track - I especially loved that it was bent down about 3" in the middle of it and the exhaust was pretty much open at that point.  It sounded *so* sweet!

OK OK, I don't know the value of a 7XX bimmer, but it sure was shiny. Scrounging up the lap chart they were never a threat, but I still think they painted their own bulls-eye.

It was pretty fun lapping them after and looking through the cab. Driving a saggy car with nor doors at AMP had to be scary.

I hoped they would bring the car back to another race. Couldn't argue value after that.

The 740 guys were going to put that motor combo into a e30 and come back .

50 (edited by Troy 2009-06-23 06:08 AM)

I've thought about a 7 series V8 in a 3 Series before.  Not necessarily for Lemons but it seems like fun.  If someone was crazy enough to do a V12 swap well....

It won't be long before 7 Series owners are paying to get rid of those things.  They tank in value.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z