Topic: Suggestion on compact seat rail assembly?

I need to hit the yards this weekend and find (hopefully) a low profile seat rail assembly that I can adapt.  If major features are left welded to the floor of the donor car, that doesn't really work for me. 

Does anyone have suggestions on what plentiful cars  I should scout first?

*note, before this turns into a discussion of using oem seat parts, this is to build a movable pedal assembly.  I'd like a low profile pair that more closely resembles rack slides (think drawers or electronic rack mounts) than something built by a bored german engineer.

Thanks!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Re: Suggestion on compact seat rail assembly?

Got ours from here.
http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_acc.asp?id=156

We use one just like that except that it's an OMP product but it's almost identical. But you won't find either of those at the junkyard. I know that the MR2 factory seat racks are pretty similar in function but don't have the bar that ties the 2 sides together and relies on the seat frame to perform that duty. So long as you build a good frame to tie it all together, those would work fine. I suspect you could find the same mechanism on any mid-80's toyota.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

4 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-04-09 04:44 PM)

I just adapted a spare pair of first gen RX-7 seat rails to our Jaguar. Had to grind the vertical bolt tabs off, grind the ends down a bit, and weld on horizontal bolt tabs with different bolt spacing. The spacing is too wide for our seat, so I made a bracket that spans the front bolt holes, now I have to make the back bracket. They have a total height of about an inch, and have a forward-back adjustment of about 10".

Volvo manual seat sliders are strong and easily adapted to other vehicles & uses.
Very popular w/ the streetrod crowd for that reason.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

6 (edited by ronman 2010-04-10 06:18 PM)

RichVS wrote:

I need to hit the yards this weekend and find (hopefully) a low profile seat rail assembly that I can adapt.  If major features are left welded to the floor of the donor car, that doesn't really work for me. 

Does anyone have suggestions on what plentiful cars  I should scout first?

*note, before this turns into a discussion of using oem seat parts, this is to build a movable pedal assembly.  I'd like a low profile pair that more closely resembles rack slides (think drawers or electronic rack mounts) than something built by a bored german engineer.

Thanks!

A lot of late-model Grand Marquiseseses and Town Cars have factory power pedals and are fairly abundant in junkyards down here...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

7 (edited by RichVS 2010-04-10 09:22 PM)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  The only RX7 had been raided, but next to it was a mid 90's Isuzu pickup with rails that were about 1.25" thick, nice simple tabs and about 9" of travel.  Thanks!

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.