Topic: Falken Azenis 615 discontinued!!

New model 615 'K' is here and is about $30 more per tire.

I undecided on tire selection at this point.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: Falken Azenis 615 discontinued!!

Yep, old news.  My guess is that the RT-615 began selling very well for some reason a few years ago and they decided to reformulate them to justify upping the price.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Can't be that old of news.
My tire dealer had them on order for me as of Saturday afternoon.
( In stock in their inventory )

They called me today and told me they were out of stock.
Vulcan is also out.

I don't know if I want to buy the K's or not.
Maybe move to a tire that will last for an season instead of two races?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

They reformulated the 615 to keep up with the competition.  The Azenis went from being "the tire to have" a few years ago to being "a good cheap tire, but there are better options for just a little more money".

So, now the Azenis should be on par with the competition in both grip and price.

I think the Dunlop Star Spec is the new "Azenis".  Seems to be cheaper than the other "maximum performance tires" currently available.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Wish they made the Direzza Sport in some more 15-inch sizes...

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

They do now.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

Direezas are great.....hard to beat for the price IF you can find the right size

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

^+1

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Just ordered me a set of Azenis off of Discount Tire Direct for $104 a piece (235/40R17) after $80 rebate.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direc … erformance

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

GnomeFabTech wrote:
jw33 wrote:

They do now.

yeah they offer one size, 195/55/15. yay......

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Have another look there, JW.  The 195/55-15 has been available for a long time.  There are NEW 15" sizes, and even some 14" sizes.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp … +Star+Spec

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

12 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-04-14 03:49 AM)

Ooh. They have a 205. I have to agree with jw33. The stock tires on our car are 215/70R-15. The selection of tires in at least that width for 15" wheels sucks. We're considering 16" wheels just so we can get a decent tire, but we're so broke it looks like we might go with a 225/50R-15.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp … =AVS+ES100

Plus our car is heavy, so a slightly harder tire should last longer.

I've been pretty happy with the Nitto NT-05

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

14 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-04-14 07:55 AM)

Loren wrote:

They reformulated the 615 to keep up with the competition.  The Azenis went from being "the tire to have" a few years ago to being "a good cheap tire, but there are better options for just a little more money".

So, now the Azenis should be on par with the competition in both grip and price.

I think the Dunlop Star Spec is the new "Azenis".  Seems to be cheaper than the other "maximum performance tires" currently available.

On teh Dunlops, that was my analysis too. I got some for the Lexus, but only had 225's for it. Thats pretty narrow for that monster car. I did a track day, and they were very good for a street tire, but look like they will wear quickly on a heavy car - mostly the LF... I plan to have two spares at least to get through a real 24hr race.... (LF will probably use two tires, but on a two day type event, one set should be enough)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I found the dunlops last REALLY well..... better at Sears than Thunderhill.....  In the 3150lb estate with 225/50-16's we can get a whole race weekend plus practice no problem.....  I am confident the tires we raced at Sears will last the whole race weekend at Thunderhill no problem....  So thats two full race weekends plus practice on 1 set of tires.....

The 1st set we raced at Thunderhill + 2 practice days were pretty worn in front..especially right front....but still go last another day easy....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

I found the dunlops last REALLY well..... better at Sears than Thunderhill.....  In the 3150lb estate with 225/50-16's we can get a whole race weekend plus practice no problem.....  I am confident the tires we raced at Sears will last the whole race weekend at Thunderhill no problem....  So thats two full race weekends plus practice on 1 set of tires.....

The 1st set we raced at Thunderhill + 2 practice days were pretty worn in front..especially right front....but still go last another day easy....

Hmm. That bodes well then for my application, but probably highly track/driver dependent

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

I'm starting to see prices and it's looking like $50 more per tire for 205/50/15.  Over $120 per tire!  Do they have magic powers?

icemang17 wrote:

Direezas are great.....hard to beat for the price IF you can find the right size

Okay after driving the 928 Estate on real R Comps (BFG R1) there is a HUGE (think grand canyon) difference in performance.....  but the R comps cost 55% more and will probably last 25% as long.....

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Sorry, I gotta give you Captain Obvious for that
http://www.sustainabilityninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/captain-obvious.jpg

I purchased two sets of the RT-615Ks in 195/60/14. Luckily I have a sponsor hookup so they ended up costing us about the same as the old RT-615s. Since they're so new, I haven't been able to find any reviews, but it seems that Falken is trying to move them upmarket to compete with the Dunlops, etc as stated above.

I'm hoping they live up to the hype. Treadwear on the old 615s was not an issue, but they heat cycled quickly and lost their stickiness with plenty of tread left. It was a problem we put up with before due to their low cost, but I'm hoping with the price premium comes more longevity. I'll post my opinions after Goin' For Broken.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

LTDScott wrote:

... but I'm hoping with the price premium comes more longevity. I'll post my opinions after Goin' For Broken.

I doubt that the increased price will get us much more than the addition of the letter "K" to the mould!

Yeah baby!
#47 Impreza:  2009 Lamest Day; 3rd / 2010 Capital Offense; 4th (with a blown head gasket) / 2010 New England something or another; 60 somethingth, f'n wheel bearing / 2010 Lemons Fall South 77th out a 101 - all 10 feet shot off! Then there was Miami...

I guess we shall see!

Nanker Phelge wrote:
LTDScott wrote:

... but I'm hoping with the price premium comes more longevity. I'll post my opinions after Goin' For Broken.

I doubt that the increased price will get us much more than the addition of the letter "K" to the mould!

That is exactly my fear as well.  It was an opportunity to jack up the price and they took it.  I believe Hankook's departure from the RS-2 allowed Falken to make the switch.  They could have at least changed the tread pattern to make us feel better.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

24 (edited by LTDScott 2010-05-15 11:52 AM)

My opinion on the new RT-615K: It's hard to give a back to back comparison to the old 615s because we did a lot of work to the rear suspension of our car which really tightened up the handling, but my general impression of the Ks (195/60/14) is that the grip seems a bit better than the old 615s, but they were much more predictable and didn't fade away.

In fact, this is the first time that the team decided to just keep using the same set of tires rather than swapping after the first day, which we had previously done with the regular 615s. We just cross rotated the tires and I felt that they had just as much grip on day two. Other than some edge wear, they still look pretty damn good after 1100+ miles of track time and may use em for autocross later.

Having said this, I got the Ks for the same price as the old 615s. Would they be worth the normal retail price compared to other tires in the class (like the Direzza Star Specs)? Hard to say since I haven't driven on any of the other tires, but overall I was pleased with them.

FWIW - just did a whole weekend with Nitto NT-05s on a 3600lb Jaguar. They grip was very good and the wear was FANTASTIC. They still seems almost new after 200 laps - seriously.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice