Re: Falken Azenis 615 discontinued!!

Also enjoyed the new K's.

We ran a fresh set on the front and old tires on the rear the whole race.

They wear better, grip better and seem to maintain throughout the whole race.

We noticed they responded better at higher psi that the old tires 42 vs. less than 40 with the old.

Our hot lap in race was a full three seconds faster than when we were racing back in Nov 2009 at TH. ( 2:22.222 )

Other than the tires, the only change we made to the car was the new front splitter.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Unfortunately I can't compare to our last TH race because it was the half course with chicanes.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Are the 615's directional? I cant remember.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

I dig the K's over the standard 615s.  We used the previous version on day one of Thunderhill and then switched over to the 615K tires for day two.  I don't know what they changed, but it was good.

If you're interested in a direct comparison, Dave wrote up an entire comparison article about it:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles … 615-k.aspx

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

BTW, for you 195/60R14 users, Star Specs are now available in our size for about the same $ as 615Ks.  About $97/ea.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Do most agree that the Star Specs are a better tire?

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

I really enjoyed the compound of the Star Spec on two different cars, but was really disappointed with the sidewall stiffness, using even the maximum tire pressure rating. This was on a 50 series, too. I preferred the carcass of the Azenis 615 in similar sidewall heights, but the compound wasn't as good as the Star Spec.

If you have a light car and/or  run low sidewall heights, the Star Spec would be great. Maybe they made it better in the last year, but I hope that its stickiness can be matched by the Azenis-K.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

loved the star specs for grip in the dry AND wet.  Problem is, they don't last.  On the Azenis I could get a weekend.  On the star specs I can only get a day.  Currently looking for a new tire solution

bob-e wrote:

loved the star specs for grip in the dry AND wet.  Problem is, they don't last.  On the Azenis I could get a weekend.  On the star specs I can only get a day.  Currently looking for a new tire solution

What car/weight/tires sizes/suspension and its settings?

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

djcommie wrote:
bob-e wrote:

What car/weight/tires sizes/suspension and its settings?

nissan sentra, 2150 lbs, 205/50/15, cut 2.5 coils out of the springs.  like I said--tons of grip especially in the wet.  They wore even, but also wore a lot.  We had to back down lap times by 2 seconds to extend the life to get through the day.

Is it a B13 Sentra? How much travel did you retain in the front, the stock travel is only like 3 inches. I had a B13 NX2000 and worked on a B13 SE-R a lot and I could bottom out the suspension without too much work. You have shortened shocks or anything to compensate for the lowering?

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

b14.  still have pretty decent travel in the front -- stock had about 24 inches of travel.  shocks are stock and they don't feel like they are blown yet.

same car and suspension with azenis and they would last almost 2 weekends.  star specs didn't come close.  they are much faster though

Can't find any reviews on the 615K? How about a back-to-back 615 vs 615K test on a Lemons car in a Lemons race, with lap times?

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles … 615-k.aspx

-Dave