Topic: Kill switch installation

Can the kill switch operate like the stock ignition and cut power via relays, or does it need to be wired directly into the battery and alternator cables?

Cobra Kai (1994 Volvo 940)

2 (edited by Tullamore 2010-04-13 11:35 AM)

Re: Kill switch installation

It should be a double throw switch that disconnects both the ignition and the battery.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=1464

Infinity Q45 #47 @ Gator-a-Rama 09 & #147 @ Nelson Ledges 09
Datsun 510 #102 @ High Plains Raceway 10 & #102 @ Mid-America Motorplex 10
Datsun 280Z #55 @ Autobahn 10

dinomite wrote:

Can the kill switch operate like the stock ignition and cut power via relays, or does it need to be wired directly into the battery and alternator cables?

Can a relay fail and the engine still run with the kill switch in the "OFF" position?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Tullamore wrote:

It should be a double throw switch that disconnects both the ignition and the battery.

I understand that, and the stock ignition switch (on the steering column, where the key goes) does both of those things via relays.  If I install a kill switch that activates in the same fashion, is that acceptable?  Or do I need to have a kill switch that cuts the ignition and battery/alternator by interrupting the large-gauge battery & alternator cables directly?

I added a link to my post:

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=1464

You want a kill switch that disconnects all power from the battery, you don't want a battery short in a crash.   A proper disconnect will have a large high current connection for your battery and low current for your ignition or alternator.

RobL wrote:
dinomite wrote:

Can a relay fail and the engine still run with the kill switch in the "OFF" position?

I don't believe so.

Another way to ask my question, is how (not where, which is thoroughly covered http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … p?id=2162) does everyone else install their kill switches?

In both of our Lemons we have the battery mounted to the passenger floor with a master kill switch within close reach of the driver.  We have a second kill switch on the outside of the car on the right side for a corner worker to hit in an accident and the driver cannot.  Either switch will completely kill the car as they are wired in series.

dinomite wrote:
RobL wrote:
dinomite wrote:

I don't believe so.

Rhetorical question.  Yes, a relay can fail and stay in the engaged position and leave the car running even if you throw the kill switch.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:
dinomite wrote:
RobL wrote:

I don't believe so.

Rhetorical question.  Yes, a relay can fail and stay in the engaged position and leave the car running even if you throw the kill switch.

Heh, OK.  That clears up my question, then.  I guess I need to get some good lengths of large gauge cable.

You might be able to go to a local car audio shop and get some "scrap" battery cable that's just sitting around.  They charged me $1/ft for a 10ft length they had in back, which beats the ~$2.50/ft it's running right now.

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Your local autoparts store will make any length you want and even crimp on the connectors for you.

Jumper cables.

Just don't use your only set, you may need them at the track wink

14 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2010-04-13 02:32 PM)

Go to your favorite Junk Yard, find an older BMW 5 series 4 door and you will find a nice 12' long 00. gauge battery cable sitting underneath the back seat.  Older BMW's had their batteries in the trunk and they ran all the way to the front engine compartment on the passenger side. Ours cost $6.00 bucks at pick and pull cause they can only charge what they post on their price list.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

Go to your favorite Junk Yard, find an older BMW 5 series 4 door and you will find a nice 12' long 00. gauge battery cable sitting underneath the back seat.  Older BMW's had their batteries in the trunk and they ran all the way to the front engine compartment on the passenger side. Ours cost $6.00 bucks at pick and pull cause they can only charge what they post on their price list.

If dinomite is who I think it is, there are at least 2 x 5 series at the Baseline Rd U-Pull-It...

fifty wrote:

If dinomite is who I think it is, there are at least 2 x 5 series at the Baseline Rd U-Pull-It...

If I'm right that the Baseline Road joint is in Little Rock, then I don't believe I'm the person you're looking for.  Thanks for the tip, though!

-Drew

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

1990-1993 3 series Beemers also have this cable.....Snagged two last week!

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Mick25 wrote:

1990-1993 3 series Beemers also have this cable.....Snagged two last week!

The entire e30 line of BMW's has the long length of cable to the trunk. Look for the 4-door e30 models especially, their cables are a little bit longer. Solid copper cable. It's really amazing stuff. It's so thick and masterfully wound that I think maybe it has negative resistance. Might even be superconducting at room temperatures...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Relays and contactors:

Relay contacts can weld closed, under high fault current.  They can also weld with heat from being corroded.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Our e36 has the same cable. Splicing into it and finding connectors was a real blast.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama