Re: chump car broke it off in us

I guess I can say it again.  14 hours in one day is a huge difference over 2, 7 hour days.  Also, Lemons advertises 14ish hours of driving team.  Also a big difference.   

I guess if you guys ordered a pizza and it came missing 3 slices, you wouldn't get pissed.  Well it's pizza!  It's delicious!  Would you rather have no pizza at all?!  People are starving, you should be grateful that you can have 2/3 of a pizza!  I got a pizza once and it was great -- I don't know what you're bitching about!

I think Chumps problem was they were to ambitious for the first year.  To many races in too many places.  It will be hard for them to get the drivers to race them 3 or 4 times in the year, especially when the teams are considering Lemons too.  But then again what do I know

bob-e if you really are that upset try calling them and demanding a refund.  Accuse them of false advetisement and seem like a big enough pain they might just give you your money back.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I understand the economic realities behind the pullback at Nashville for Chump, but I dare say that it's precisely this kind of squirmy crap that has a lot of Lemons teams apprehensive about dealing with Chump. They're trying hard to sell all of that as an upgrade rather than being up-front about what I suspect is the truth: the field was too small and we're already losing money on the event, so they're cutting where they can so that they only lose their shirts and not the whole franchise. That's understandable, but also has the odor of failure about it, so he's choosing to spin it a different way.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

29 (edited by gielamonster 2010-04-15 01:16 PM)

Condron (sp?) rubs me the wrong way as a public speaker, but I had BLAST running his event at Streets. It was very well organized and a lot of fun. I think he has the right intentions, but his series is teetering in this weird limbo zone where it will either be accepted and grow, or keep being shunned and implode. I really hope it makes it, because the more crapcan races available, the better. Especially if there are more true 24 hour races, because those are the cats pajamas.

So Lemons racers: don't shy away from chumpcar! They really aren't trying to scam you out of money or seat time. Really. If you want to do a race, encourage some other teams to do the same so they can fill out the grid and not have to send out these kinds of emails anymore. I don't think anybody would be complaining if all of the chumpcar races were able to field 50+ cars.

***I don't have any affiliation with chump other than paying to run in one of their races.

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

i say run the 14 hour enduro and check back with us.  and yes VIR / 24 was a true blast and then some.

besides, racing at night might be best learned in moderation.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

what the hell I'll throw my severely censored 2 cents in here.  I get bob-e's point.  It doesn't matter if he goes and has a fabulous time and it was a spectacular event.  He signed up and paid for one thing and is now getting something else with no real compensation for the loss and no opportunity to back out now that its not what he signed up for.

If I signed up for a waiting list for the new 2011 Mustang 5.0 V8 and put my money down and then come production time Ford decides that they cant meet their CAFE ratings so they are only producing V6 mustangs and will give me one of those instead with the only compensation being a $500 voucher on my next Ford purchase, and no option to back out of the deal on my part I'd raise holy hell and so would anyone here.  Its the same thing.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Theoretically, I'd say taking your money and changing from a 24 hour to 14 hour race is a breach of contract as well as bait and switch.

The reality is you have to make deposits to a track which are typically non-refundable.  They are usually transferable though.  Which was the case when we rented MSRH.

There was great concern our turn out would be low and we would not be able to pay for the event.  If you do not postpone or change your plans far enough in advance, you start having to pay for larger and larger parts of the contract or the whole thing whether your event happens our not.

So cutting the 24 hour race to a 1 day 14 hour race, cut track rent to one day.  The deposit money would still be applied so it's a decent compromise.

Should they be required to offer a refund due to the 24 to 14 hour change?  I think a refund sounds reasonable if you are hell bent on a 24 hour race.

We are considering TMS specifically because it's 24 hours.  Other than the 1 hour break for install lights, aiming and whatever other lame explanation they have. 

I'd just assume go 24 hours beginning to end, no tampons, diapers or training wheels.  It will likely burn us but we're big boys.

Screw the 5 minute pit stops too.  If I make a better gas can than you, take notes and make a better one. 

Otherwise, it just promotes big gas tanks/fuel cells.  I now regret not installing a 20+ gallon cell instead of 12.  At least in Lemons I can fill it as fast as possible and get back on the track.

Five minute pit stops for fueling just encourage large fuel cells and give those teams an advantage.  By by level playing field.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy, it actually seems to be the opposite to me.  If you have to have a five minute stop and cannot be on the track more than two hours, a 20 gallon cell is not better than a 12 gallon cell.  Unless your car is really going through the gas, what is the benefit of a bigger cell?  And if that's the case, that difference would be even more magnified in Lemons which does NOT have those rules and guys can run three hour stints.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I'm moving to Theory... everything works there!

Drat! And Double Drat!

Jer wrote:

Troy, it actually seems to be the opposite to me.  If you have to have a five minute stop and cannot be on the track more than two hours, a 20 gallon cell is not better than a 12 gallon cell.  Unless your car is really going through the gas, what is the benefit of a bigger cell?  And if that's the case, that difference would be even more magnified in Lemons which does NOT have those rules and guys can run three hour stints.

Jer,

They only use the 5 minute Pit Rule for fueling.

We have two similar cars.  The second one has a 22 gallon cell.

I have a 12 gallon cell compared to a 22 gallon cell so I have to add fuel about twice as often.  That means 10 minutes of pit stops instead of say 7 over maybe 4 hours with the Chump rule.

In Lemons, we can probably fill my tank and change drivers in under 3 minutes so it's maybe 6 minutes every 4 hours.

The 22 gallon car can do a driver change without fuel but when they fuel, they need to dump 4 jugs instead of 2 so their fuel stop is longer than ours.  So the time difference is not as significant in Lemons.

Rules like this make me think any cell we install in the future should be the maximum allowable capacity.

We added the cell to the second car because the stock tank had to much fuel slop and starved in the turns at a 1/2 tank requiring many 5-7 gallon fuel stops.

My car has always run a cell and only starves when it is actually empty.

FYI, NASA pit rules have no 5 minute rule for fuel stops.  So Chump only sorta uses NASA rules.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

All this complaining and watch bob-e's car blow up one hour in... 
We ran the 14 Hours at Rockingham with ChumpCar and it was great!!  The 14 hour Saturday enduro format was nice since we all had day and night driving stints, plenty of seat time, and plenty of racing.  Plus, having Sunday as a travel home day was nice instead of a Monday!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

I'm looking forward to our first ChumpCar race at Shannonville - I'm expecting extremely low turnout because it's the first such event in Canada, combined with ChumpCar's low name recognition, means that there'll be pretty much no-one there.  It will be cool after racing with like 100cars/km at Lemons to race with 4 cars/km with ChumpCar.

As for their viability, I think all they have to do is get through this first year, which is probably what they're doing by shortening races and cutting every cost possible.  In my experience, teams tend to beget more teams - I know of at least 2 and up to 4 active crapcan teams that are descended from my team's first Lemons run in 2008.  If they doubled all their fields next year like Lemons seems to, then they'll probably be fine.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

gielamonster wrote:

Condron (sp?) rubs me the wrong way as a public speaker, but I had BLAST running his event at Streets. It was very well organized and a lot of fun. I think he has the right intentions, but his series is teetering in this weird limbo zone where it will either be accepted and grow, or keep being shunned and implode. I really hope it makes it, because the more crapcan races available, the better. Especially if there are more true 24 hour races, because those are the cats pajamas.

So Lemons racers: don't shy away from chumpcar! They really aren't trying to scam you out of money or seat time. Really. If you want to do a race, encourage some other teams to do the same so they can fill out the grid and not have to send out these kinds of emails anymore. I don't think anybody would be complaining if all of the chumpcar races were able to field 50+ cars.

***I don't have any affiliation with chump other than paying to run in one of their races.

I agree with Dan here.  We had a good time at the 24 hours of Streets even with the small turnout.  Condron is a bit like Jay but without the cleverness, stylishness, and vision.  I hope the Chump series keeps going just to give everyone an option to run more events.  I missed the overall circus atmosphere of a Lemons event but it was still racing and that's all right with me.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

I hope that both series continue, but Chump is not doing itself any favors for its long-term prospects with shenanigans that look all bait-and-switchy. Hopefully they learn that lesson from Nashville -- although now it looks like they did the same thing at the Rock? I didn't know that before. I'm glad that I didn't sign up for their race at Texas Motor Speedway. It's been billed as a true 24 and I'd be p.o.'d if they changed it to a true 14 at the last minute. There's something special about a true 24 that a 14 just can't match that is far beyond the 10 fewer hours of racing.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Tajracing45 wrote:

All this complaining and watch bob-e's car blow up one hour in... 
We ran the 14 Hours at Rockingham with ChumpCar and it was great!!  The 14 hour Saturday enduro format was nice since we all had day and night driving stints, plenty of seat time, and plenty of racing.  Plus, having Sunday as a travel home day was nice instead of a Monday!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV7DzFP6FUY

Mulry wrote:

I'm glad that I didn't sign up for their race at Texas Motor Speedway. It's been billed as a true 24 and I'd be p.o.'d if they changed it to a true 14 at the last minute. There's something special about a true 24 that a 14 just can't match that is far beyond the 10 fewer hours of racing.

This is the wrong attitude man! You should have written: "I've signed up and can't wait for the TMS race! I've been telling all of my friends and other Lemons teams and convinced 4 more of them to sign up."

Give Chump a chance!

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing

Well, I guess you could say that I am giving it a chance, just not a chance with my money. If I bought a 24 hour race and then got less than 60% of what I paid for, I'd be furious. Maybe I'm unusual in that I expect to get what was promised to me when I pay for something.

bongle wrote:

I'm looking forward to our first ChumpCar race at Shannonville - I'm expecting extremely low turnout because it's the first such event in Canada, combined with ChumpCar's low name recognition, means that there'll be pretty much no-one there.  It will be cool after racing with like 100cars/km at Lemons to race with 4 cars/km with ChumpCar.

As for their viability, I think all they have to do is get through this first year, which is probably what they're doing by shortening races and cutting every cost possible.  In my experience, teams tend to beget more teams - I know of at least 2 and up to 4 active crapcan teams that are descended from my team's first Lemons run in 2008.  If they doubled all their fields next year like Lemons seems to, then they'll probably be fine.

I agree, he first year will be crucial.....as for Shannonville, a perfect track for crap can racing. Long, technical. good runoff areas....the date choice might hurt turnout as it's the Victoria Day weekend and Mosport is running its SpeedFest event. I'll bet many of the road racing and circle track teams over there would run Chumpcar if the dates didn't conflict...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

44 (edited by Mulry 2010-04-17 01:49 PM)

avidfan wrote:

Chump charges the same fees for their double 7 format as they do for a 24 hr, what's the difference?  Teams will still get 14 hours of seat time.   We like the party atmosphere of Lemons, so racing something other than 24 hours gives us the time to party at Chump events.

What's the difference? The difference is that it's not what was advertised and it's not what was paid for. Let me put it another way.

Suppose that you want a new engine for your car. You know what engine you want, a nice new Ford V-8 that makes 360 HP straight out of the crate. Your local parts store doesn't stock them, but it can order one for you if you pay for it in advance and they will have it for you in 10 weeks. So you plunk down a substantial amount of money and you eagerly anticipate the day that your new engine arrives. You get the car ready for the engine, you plan on the supplies that you will need. You probably even dream about how great it's going to be to hear that burbling engine with that lopey cam, how it's going to feel to drive that car with that engine pressing you into the seat when you press the go pedal. It's going to be awesome!

Several weeks go by and the parts store calls. It says that your engine is going to be in on time and you can come get it then. Only a couple things have changed. You're not getting a V-8, which is no longer available at that store. Instead you're getting a Volvo Inline-5. It will still (miraculously) bolt up just like the other motor and will work just the same. Oh, and it only makes 210 HP, but it gets better mileage. Sure, it's not the V-8, but it's still a car engine and it will still get your little car from place to place just fine, and besides, you'll save money on gas and other operating expenses and who really needs a V-8 anyway? They're wasteful and loud. Your I-5 will be at the store on the same day as the other engine, and you can still come and pick it up on the original date. Because of the inconvenience, the store is offering a 25% discount on the next engine that you order from them. If they don't go out of business before you need another engine.

Would you be okay with that? I wouldn't. I would call that a bait and switch, demand my money back, and I'd never buy anything from that store ever again.

But you're getting a coupon for your next engine, right?  sweet!

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

But you're getting a coupon for your next engine, right?  sweet!

smile

avidfan wrote:

Just saw a post from one of chump's rep's in Ontario and they apparently had 17 more cars entries just this last week. They were also soliciting suggestions for other Canadian tracks since the Canada appears to be a hot bed for crap can racing.  Anyone raced much in Canada?

Just checked their forums and couldn't find such a post.  Do you have a link?

Last I heard they had ~20 entries, so a 17-entry jump would be pretty big; though I know from entering Lemons that the entry list usually doubles in the last week pre-deadline.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

avidfan wrote:
jimeditorial wrote:
bongle wrote:

I agree, he first year will be crucial.....as for Shannonville, a perfect track for crap can racing. Long, technical. good runoff areas....the date choice might hurt turnout as it's the Victoria Day weekend and Mosport is running its SpeedFest event. I'll bet many of the road racing and circle track teams over there would run Chumpcar if the dates didn't conflict...

Just saw a post from one of chump's rep's in Ontario and they apparently had 17 more cars entries just this last week. They were also soliciting suggestions for other Canadian tracks since the Canada appears to be a hot bed for crap can racing.  Anyone raced much in Canada?

Good place to race. Nice people, great beer etc. Road racing and open wheel are the big deal...stock cars are a short track Saturday night thing, i.e. no superspeedways. Lots of enthusiasm at amateur/club level. Gas is expensive compared to US. Similar chain brands i.e. Ramada Inn, Best Western, etc. Some NAPA, but biggest is Canadian Tire. Visa, Mastercard big, Amex less so. Debit cards are popular (Interac/Cirrus etc.)  McDonalds, Burger King, for fast food. Must trys: Tim Hortons (legendary up here ) and Harveys for burgers. Ask for Poutine (fries with melted cheese and gravy). Major brews are Labatt's and Molson...lots of micro/local brews. Sleeman's is good. Bud/Coors etc. brewed under license, but at 5% alcohol. Don't get caught DUI or speeding more than 50kph over posted limit....big penalties. 100 kph=62 mph. Freeways typically posted for 100 kph. Many US fuel cards work here, i.e. Exxon, Mobil, Sunoco. Fuel measured in litres. Your insurance should cover Canada and your driver's license is good here too. You need a passport, especially to get back to the US. Check border crossing well in advance as there are long lineups at the border on holiday weekends. Major holidays are May 31 (Victoria Day) July 1 (Canada Day) and Sept. 1 (Labour Day) Aug 1 is Civic Day (different names in each province) except Quebec. Hope this helps!

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

i get the arguement and then again i don't get the arguement.  to 24 or to not 24, that is the quandry.

bob-e, you seem to be a straight up kind of guy.  i understand your disappointment in this outcome, but you still have a race to run.  win the fucking thing.

had VIR been clipped to only a one day 14 hour event we too would have been disappointed.  we discussed this possible scenario.  we agreed we were there to race no matter what the time frame presented turned out to be.

do i think Chump and John specifically have their ducks in a row?  no i do not.  do they present an oppurtunity to run balls out in a crapcan race?  yup.

take advantage of the oppurtunity while it lasts.  it may not be here this time next year.

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

andyshoun wrote:

Lemons need to go to VIR! If Lemons ran VIR, it'd get 100 cars.   I really look forward to CMP again, too.  We're lucky to have so many great racing opportunities.

I know that driving anywhere beyond the Philly Metro region is a real hike!  Stafford is the 'closest' to me, with CMP a close 2nd.  I heard great things from my teammates who did VIR, and I would +2 the suggestions to check out VIR.

"CaddyWrecker" of Team Speedycop and the Gang of Outlaws

"I've never seen tires fly so high or so far" - and no, I wasn't texting at the time of said incident.