Topic: Anyone see a reason our cage won't pass tech?

Hey guys,

We just got our car back from the cage shop, and like every other first timers we're worried about passing tech. Can any of you seasoned veterans take a look at these pictures and tell us if there is anything you see that might be a problem?

The main thing I'm worried about is the harness bar; its touching the back of our fiberglass seat, is that an issue? Do we still need some kind of bracing near the top of the seat?

Any input would be much appreciated - if ya'll want any more pics or info I'll gladly post it up as soon as I can.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5OS1-IfI/AAAAAAAAAE4/jAdqWMcDUo8/s576/DSC00113.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5OhxaDwI/AAAAAAAAAE8/htOfpQnWRMA/s576/DSC00114.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5O4cUqII/AAAAAAAAAFA/AWYZTMeeUoo/s576/DSC00116.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5PYj0F7I/AAAAAAAAAFE/6RNxPgH_Sj8/s576/DSC00117.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5PoC-rVI/AAAAAAAAAFI/yeuLqM5M6_Q/DSC00118.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5P0ntbhI/AAAAAAAAAFM/or_aJVAyiMY/s576/DSC00119.JPG
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5QAlZ0FI/AAAAAAAAAFQ/BxjZ2_YFSdk/s576/DSC00122.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5QW2-I2I/AAAAAAAAAFU/OT2FQDFiBWs/s576/DSC00123.JPG
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5Qw3_QKI/AAAAAAAAAFY/4ms-yxHGGiA/s576/DSC00124.JPG
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5RGW7NjI/AAAAAAAAAFc/x_G376sWmlg/s576/DSC00126.JPG
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_m5_ruQvwgLU/S8Z5Ruui4yI/AAAAAAAAAFg/E0qdl6kXZd0/s576/DSC00127.JPG

Re: Anyone see a reason our cage won't pass tech?

Right off the bat, your diagnal should be one piece - an SCCA and NASA requirement but I think that in the past Lemons Tech has let it slide.

You harness bar is too low.  It should be level with the belt openings in your seat.  It doesn't matter if it hits the seat - that would mean less room/flex in an accident.

Otherwise, I'd say the cage looks good.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Ditto above. Diagonal brace is two peices (no big deal at Lemons so far) and the harness bar is too low (this will have to be changed). I would have made the diagonal hit a little more towards the middle of the main hoop and put a horizotal bar across half way down the two rear down tubes. Overall that's a very good looking cage and I like the drivers side door bar (we have the same design). You had this done at an off-road shop or someone who does alot of sand/off-road stuff? lol at the "oh shit!" handles....

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

4 (edited by Spank 2010-04-14 09:07 PM)

Your harness bar is allowed to be lower than your belt openings but not higher than the driver's shoulders. Permissible angles as per FIA:

http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/fa.jpg

In other words-- your harness bar is fine if when someone is sitting in the seat the belt is at no more than a 45-degree angle downward to the bar.
[edit: unless your drivers are short as heck, either you need to raise that harness bar or lower your seat--do a check with your tallest driver in the seat]

Personally, I would consider a diagonal at your rear legs or an X back there-- those dog legs are mighty long. May have been better to stop them at the strut towers/arch. That's not a req, though. Just my gut preference.

--Spank

I've built about 8 cages for Lemons so far and this one looks pretty good BUT I would say the diagonal needs to be one piece and to be in the middle of bend on rear hoop.
Harness is too low and won't pass.Needs to be right at the belt holes .

You need a lot of padding anywhere your body and head gets near .Looks like tube is right over your head.

Not for tech but for safety I would get some steel tubing from drivers side door bar to door sill or to the floor.

Awesome fab work

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

any reason you did not tie the rear suspension towers into the cage?

i'm not trying to hate, but im disappointed for you in the work someone did for your money.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

granted I'm not a tech inspector...but the bars look pretty close to where the drivers helmet would be.... which is fine if its padded properly....

another thing the inspectors really like to look for is 360' welds....there MUST be welds all around the tubes....if there is a visible gap = FAIL

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

icemang17 wrote:

granted I'm not a tech inspector...but the bars look pretty close to where the drivers helmet would be.... which is fine if its padded properly....

another thing the inspectors really like to look for is 360' welds....there MUST be welds all around the tubes....if there is a visible gap = FAIL

invisible gaps = fail too and you get a couple holes in your roof!

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Spank wrote:

Your harness bar is allowed to be lower than your belt openings but not higher than the driver's shoulders. Permissible angles as per FIA:

http://www.securon.co.uk/fitting/extras/fa.jpg

In other words-- your harness bar is fine if when someone is sitting in the seat the belt is at no more than a 45-degree angle downward to the bar.
[edit: unless your drivers are short as heck, either you need to raise that harness bar or lower your seat--do a check with your tallest driver in the seat]

Personally, I would consider a diagonal at your rear legs or an X back there-- those dog legs are mighty long. May have been better to stop them at the strut towers/arch. That's not a req, though. Just my gut preference.

--Spank

Tech won't happy with any hrness bars that were downward and liked 0-15 degrees upward. I helped out with tech and saw  downward bars that had to be changed.

Send pics to Nick Pon he is the first in the tech lines.

Upward angled belts?!  Never heard of it. Ours are down below seat holes as are every harness bar made by Autopower. not disputing what you've seen, but I'd say if every other organization like NASA, SCCA and Rally America defer to FIA specs, then something must be right about, well, FIA specs.

Agreed that ultimately you need to clear it with Nick/Jay (and their insurance underwriters). Us giving advice don't mean a whole lot more than just words.

12 (edited by Spank 2010-04-14 11:11 PM)

Here's a bunch more words.

NASA:

3.6.2.5 Shoulder Harness
The shoulder harness shall be a two-strap over-the-shoulder
type. (“H” type configuration is permitted.) In the downwards
direction, the shoulder straps must be directed towards the rear
and must be installed in such a way that they do not make an
angle of more than 45 degrees to the horizontal from the upper
rim of the backrest, although it is recommended that this angle
should not exceed 10 degrees.
The maximum angles in relation
to the centerline of the seat are 20 degrees divergent or
convergent. (See diagram 253-42) Anchorage points creating a
higher angle to the horizontal must not be used unless the seat
meets the requirements of the FIA standard.
A safety harness
must not be installed on a seat having no head restraint or
having a backrest with integrated head restraint (no opening
between backrest and head restraint) (If the seat does not
provide lateral restraint, the mounting point on the vehicle
structure shall be a minimum of 20 inches behind the seat back
when measured along the belt.)

Rally America:
H. Shoulder Harness
1. The shoulder harness shall be a two strap over the shoulder type.
There shall be a single release common to the lap belt and shoulder
harness. Only completely separate straps are permitted. “Y-type”
shoulder straps are not allowed; “H-type” configuration is allowed.
The separate straps shall be individually attached to the structural
points of support. The shoulder harness angle to the point of support
shall be between horizontal and 10° below horizontal and
perpendicular to the rear of the seat.
The belts shall also be kept as
short as practical. At the mounting point, the distance from the
center of one belt to the center of the other shall be 7" or less, closer
is better.

SCCA:
The shoulder harness shall be the over the shoulder type. There
shall be a single release common to the seat belt and shoulder
harness. When mounting belts and harnesses it is recommended
that they be kept as short as reasonably possible to minimize
stretch when loaded in an accident.
The shoulder harness shall be mounted behind the driver and
supported above a line drawn downward from the shoulder point
at an angle of 20 degrees with the horizontal.
The seat itself, or
anything added only to the seat shall not be considered a suitable
guide. Guides must be a part of the roll cage or a part of the car
structure.
Only separate shoulder straps are permitted. (“Y” type shoulder
straps are not allowed.) “H” type configuration is allowed.

FIA:
ARTICLE 6 : SAFETY BELTS
6.1 Belts
Wearing of two shoulder straps and one lap strap ; anchorage
points on the shell: two for the lap strap, two or possibly one
symmetrical about the seat for the shoulder straps.
These belts must be homologated by the FIA and comply with FIA
standard n°8853/98 or 8854/98.
Furthermore, the belts used in circuit competitions must be
equipped with turnbuckle release systems.
On the other hand, it is recommended that for competitions which
include public road sections, the belts be equipped with push
button release systems.
The ASNs may homologate mounting points on the safety cage
when this cage is being homologated, on condition that they are
tested.
6.2 Installation
It is prohibited for the seat belts to be anchored to the seats or
their supports.
- A safety harness may be installed on the anchorage points of the
series car.
The recommended geometrical locations of the anchorage points
are shown in Drawing n° 253-61.

http://www.chinatibetnews.com/qiche/images/attachement/gif/site2/20080611/000ffe8b9bb509b9e3380f.gif

In the downwards direction, the shoulder straps must be directed
towards the rear and must be installed in such a way that they do
not make an angle of more than 45° to the horizontal from the
upper rim of the backrest, although it is recommended that this
angle should not exceed 10°.

The maximum angles in relation to the centre-line of the seat are
20° divergent or convergent.
If possible, the anchorage point originally mounted by the car
manufacturer on the C-pillar should be used.

Anchorage points creating a higher angle to the horizontal must
not be used unless the seat meets the requirements of the FIA
standard.

In that case, the shoulder straps of 4-point safety harnesses may
be installed on the rear seat lap strap anchorage points originally
mounted by the car manufacturer.

I'll leave the design discussion for another day.  That thread will be thousands of posts long and result in name calling and hair pulling.

I see the same two potential tech issues as mentioned above.  Neither is a game ender.

1. The two piece diagonal will probably squeak through tech because similar diagonals have in the past.  Two piece diagonals are usually the end result when a drag race guy builds a cage.  NHRA wants a one piece cross/harness bar.

2. Your harness bar may result in a less than ideal shoulder belt angle off the driver's shoulders.  You will have to throw in a harness and a driver to check.

Lemons rules: "Shoulder-harness bars strongly encouraged, and virtually necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in some applications (the attachment point of all shoulder harnesses must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the seat-entry point)"

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

you  can  just add  a  harness  bar   at the   right level  we  did that  for  our  first  race  and   bring  pipe  and welder   in case  the  call you  on the   diagnal

I was going to have them build it with a one piece diagonal, but there was a miscommunication - that said, there is no written rule anywhere in Lemons specifying that a 1-piece diagonal is required, and even chump car (not that it matters here) specifically states that a 2-piece diagonal is OK. We appreciate the criticism but lets try and keep this a "this cage should/shouldn't pass tech because" thread instead of people saying what they would have done differently. It's done and paid for so we really just want to know if it's passable or if we need more work done.

As for the harness bar, our seat does have some adjustment in the height with our bracket so we may be able to lower it enough to pass and still be comfortable. All the drivers will be there this weekend and we should be able to see how everyone fits and adjust if necessary.

The rear bars were not tied to the strut towers due to a misunderstanding on the shops part with the rules. They were worried about the "as close to 45* as possible" part and didn't know how much leeway there was for that, so they did the next best thing and stayed as close to 45* as they could and tied to the rear.

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

I like the o-shit handles on the a-pillars.  Suck that they didn't tie in the rear suspension.  Maybe add a cross bar in the rear tied into the cage

docrice wrote:

We appreciate the criticism but lets try and keep this a "this cage should/shouldn't pass tech because" thread instead of people saying what they would have done differently. It's done and paid for so we really just want to know if it's passable or if we need more work done.

Lighten up.  A one piece diagnal is a safety item and there is a reason why the SCCA and NASA requires it.  The fact that Lemons has let two piece diagnals pass is on them and may be something that changes in the future.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Nice looking cage - but as mentioned above it won't pass - but it's an easy fix.

Rule 3.1 covers the continuous diagonal - so that's the only bar that needs to be fixed, as I see it, for it to pass.

The shoulder bar could be ok - but you're on that re checking this weekend so it's a moot point.

19 (edited by TheHeckler 2010-04-15 09:14 AM)

Here are the ACTUAL rules ( section 3.1 ).

Nothing states that the diagonal must be one piece. 

Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube.

For a tubular structure that means no butt joined tubes and no bolted joins mid-tube.  If you were to read it as 'all lines in the cage must be one piece of unbroken unwelded tubing' then it is impossible to construct a cage with a diagonal and cross bar as you cannot get one piece X pipes from any foundry.  The welder in me says that given a good quality weld ( weld strength exceeds tube strength ) that once welded together they become one piece since it requires a saw to remove.

Consider the required door bars.  1 piece is nice.  X bars are also legal.  How do you make those 1 piece?  Oh yeah, you weld them.  smile

Since there has been much silly dispute on this matter I would suggest that the rules estate clearly which is acceptable.  I would consider both are for Lemons as both styles have passed tech.  I am still using a one piece diagonal but that's personal preference. 

The other approved yet unmentioned design includes a halo hoop and front legs.  This has been passed before.

3.1: Rollbar and Structure: Professionally made full roll cage required. A poorly built, improperly mounted, or badly engineered rollcage can keep you from racing: Don't show up with crap! At minimum, cage must include: Full front and rear hoop, appropriately braced to each other along the roofline; two drivers-side door bars (X-design is acceptable); appropriate main-hoop backstays with no bends, located as close to 45 degrees from horizontal as practical; one main-hoop diagonal; appropriate spreader plates and gussets; complete 360-degree welds at all joints. Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube. Shoulder-harness bars strongly encouraged, and virtually necessary for proper shoulder-harness mounting in some applications (the attachment point of all shoulder harnesses must be between zero and 15 degrees lower than the seat-entry point); dash bars very strongly encouraged.

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

TheHeckler wrote:

Here are the ACTUAL rules ( section 3.1 ).

Nothing states that the diagonal must be one piece. 
Each major load-bearing member must be formed from its own single, continuous tube.

For a tubular structure that means no butt joined tubes and no bolted joins mid-tube.  If you were to read it that way then it is impossible to construct a cage with a diagonal and cross bar as you cannot get one piece X pipes from any foundry.  The welder in me says that given a good quality weld ( weld strength exceeds tube strength ) that once welded together they become one piece since it requires a saw to remove.

Consider the required door bars.  1 piece is nice.  X bars are also legal.  How do you make those 1 piece?  Oh yeah, you weld them.  smile

Since there has been much silly dispute on this matter I would suggest that the rules estate clearly which is acceptable.  I would consider both are for Lemons as both styles have passed tech.  I am still using a one piece diagonal but that's personal preference. 

The other approved yet unmentioned design includes a halo hoop and front legs.  This has been passed before.

The diagonal in the main hoop is load bearing - the main hoop cross bars are not.  If there is a load coming from the top, the main hoop will try to "parallelogram."  The bar that prevents that from happening is the diagonal.  The cross bars hold the diagonal in place so that the diagonal can hold the hoop in place. 

Door bars are similar but not exactly the same as you will always have at least one bar that is continuous from the main hoop to the front stay bar. 

And while I agree with you that good welds make this argument moot.  The fact is that without x-raying every weld for quality, you are left mandating good design to mitigate mediocre build quality.

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

the purpose of the diagonal bar is to protect the driver's head by supporting the upper hoop--the small diagonals in the lower section of your cage don't do that. So you WILL have to add a diagonal to the rear hoop--you can keep the existing horizontal bar and weld two sections of tube to form a diagonal AS LONG AS the two sections form a continuous line

I went digging, knowing I saw it when I first started reading up to build my first one, and the cage rules had just changed. 

I don't see any reason to really complain about it.  Everything looks good quality.  Good of them to play it safe for you on the 45 degree rear stays.  Preferential to have a one piece diagonal, yes, but there are greater things to worry about (anyone see the $40k Mustang that ate it at Hallett with no spreader plates?).  I like the OS bar.  Should make it easier in/out. 

I saw a number of cars earlier this year whose harness bars weren't located properly and failed.  That's on your radar already, so you can do some measuring.  My digital level was super handy for that smile

Enjoy

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Thanks for the additional feedback, guys. We're still looking into the harness bar and can change/add if we have to. As for the diagonal, I'm going to try and get something more official from HQ, but if it looks like it's good we'll leave it. I may add some gusseting where it intersects the cross bar for a bit of extra protection. Also, I may try to tie the rear stays to the strut towers with a few short pieces of tube and spreader. Will keep everyone updated on our progress.

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

tech guys love gussets.  I'd add 4 in the cross section for the hell of it.  They'll love it, I promise

Your diagonal bar does not end at the floor. It should go from the bend corner (upper) to the floor joint. The hoop bar and the diagonal bar should meet at the floor. You have about 6-8" of unbraced bar from the floor up to where the Diagonal joins.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

docrice wrote:

I was going to have them build it with a one piece diagonal, but there was a miscommunication - that said, there is no written rule anywhere in Lemons specifying that a 1-piece diagonal is required, and even chump car (not that it matters here) specifically states that a 2-piece diagonal is OK. We appreciate the criticism but lets try and keep this a "this cage should/shouldn't pass tech because" thread instead of people saying what they would have done differently. It's done and paid for so we really just want to know if it's passable or if we need more work done.

As for the harness bar, our seat does have some adjustment in the height with our bracket so we may be able to lower it enough to pass and still be comfortable. All the drivers will be there this weekend and we should be able to see how everyone fits and adjust if necessary.

The rear bars were not tied to the strut towers due to a misunderstanding on the shops part with the rules. They were worried about the "as close to 45* as possible" part and didn't know how much leeway there was for that, so they did the next best thing and stayed as close to 45* as they could and tied to the rear.

if it is as you say above you should have no hesitation or second thoughts when taking it back to have them fix their screwups no extra charge since they were obviously reading the rulebook, and chosing to not follow it

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.