Topic: 928 Estate flying around Thunderhill!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHXdVznHYUQ

A co driver on my team was testing his "real" race 928 this weekend at Thunderhill so I figured I would bring out the Lemons racer to play with....I got a great deal on some R comps (BFG R1's) so I put those on to see the difference compared to the street tires we run..... 

We were running in the Green (advanced open passing) group with the Norcal Shelby Club....lots and lots of super cool GT350's setup for racing around with all kinds of mustangs-american iron in general...even a bunch of vintage nascars that shook the ground when the passed you!!! 

The car is MUCH FASTER on R comps...7 seconds a lap faster!!  I was able to keep up or pass just about the entire field except for the Nascars....I even caught a VIPER ACR....yes thats right the 600hp $100k race spec Viper that runs a 7:22 around the ring....I didn't have enough time to pass him...but managed my best lap of the day while chasing him....

I can't express how much fun it was in the pits when guys would ask questions about the car....probably thinking its got a monster motor or something....just to tell them its a 26 year old bone stock 195whp automatic.....  that cost $256!!!!!!! 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gMcXJiEtVE
This video is the Lemons racer following the "real" 928 racer with its new 500hp engine!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Re: 928 Estate flying around Thunderhill!!!!!

Uh, did Sean fart right at the start of that video?  Why's he flapping the door?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

Uh, did Sean fart right at the start of that video?  Why's he flapping the door?

95F plus in the car....trying to cool off!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

You might not want to tell everyone how well the car runs. You got 40 bs laps last time. wink

m610 wrote:

You might not want to tell everyone how well the car runs. You got 40 bs laps last time. wink

I'm not worried....the car is legit......a miracle of some good 1970's german engineering and depreciation!! 

I'd bet the entire top 5 at Sears Pointless on R comps would turn similar or faster times as the Estate.... 

1:  turbo miata (I've seen these run 1:55 or better)
2:  Acura Integra (popular endurance racer with spec miata times)
3:  Sentra SER (endurance and showroom stock racer)
4:  MR2 (was it boosted?)
5:  944 (think spec 944) 

Its also worth noting that all the top ??? run 5 speeds.....the estate is an automatic one legger.....not exactly "fast"

Bottom line is this....I am proud of how well my $256 car runs.....  & I am proud of how a "Lemons" racer can embarrass "real" racecars!!!  With a novice like myself at the wheel....I have never "raced" outside of Lemons & don't have a "real" racing license!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Good driving and nice video

7 (edited by vwdmc16 2010-04-19 12:54 AM)

not to rub salt in the wound, but we should have built the Lemons before the widow, could build a 1/2 dozen estates for the price of the widow. sorry to remind you of that.

on the other hand imgine if R comps were legal in Lemons

Richard, you're a better driver than you think, and those
other drivers in your video are pretty piss poor on the track!

Mark

OhioMark wrote:

Richard, you're a better driver than you think, and those

Mark

Thanks for the compliment!!

I agree that the other drivers were quite slow given the vehicles they were driving...some appeared to be taking it easy...& others just own a VERY powerful car and drive what I like to call "in squares"....which means they haul down the straights & park it in the corners just to haul to the next one...typical of drivers that learned to drive in a VERY powerful car.....  been there done that!!! 

I learned the most about driving on track driving a spec miata....its all about SMOOTH.....use the whole track and SMOOTH....  Drive the car to the strengths of the car and minimize its weaknesses.....  Not like a Viper ACR has many weaknesses!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

vwdmc16 wrote:

not to rub salt in the wound, but we should have built the Lemons before the widow, could build a 1/2 dozen estates for the price of the widow. sorry to remind you of that.

on the other hand imgine if R comps were legal in Lemons

Gee thanks Evil Clint.....

The bummer is I don't know if the R comps would last the race....the street tires do with ease......  I heard the R1's last a while....but I doubt we can get a whole weekend on them :>( 

The other bummer is cost.....the Dunlop street tires are $116 per tire and the R1's (the cheapest R comps by far) are $180 per tire... 55% more :>(

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

That looked like a lot of fun. Will you have a prob. going back to the slow tires? After that much difference , it would be tough to go back and not want to over drive the car .

warpony wrote:

That looked like a lot of fun. Will you have a prob. going back to the slow tires? After that much difference , it would be tough to go back and not want to over drive the car .

IT WILL SUCK...big time.....its gonna feel like driving on roller skates......  but I will get lots of practice sliding the car around.... 

A racing buddy sent me a funny note about tasting the "heroin" of R comps...now I will NEVER go back.....  he's right, except for in Lemons racing!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

It is cool that you are running with those cars, but they are probably not pushing 10/10ths in some of the more risky high speed turns. After all if they stuff it, its $100K , not $256+$2K.

Also you probably have way more track time than any of those drivers.

Your turning into 5 a tad late, and your jerking the back end loose.  Think about launching yourself straight off to drop into the next apex.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

mackwagon wrote:

It is cool that you are running with those cars, but they are probably not pushing 10/10ths in some of the more risky high speed turns. After all if they stuff it, its $100K , not $256+$2K.

Also you probably have way more track time than any of those drivers.

Your turning into 5 a tad late, and your jerking the back end loose.  Think about launching yourself straight off to drop into the next apex.

it didn't really get loose there.....it barely got loose anywhere on those tires....vs constantly with the street tires :>)  The turn in on R comps was SO much faster it seemed like it was gonna get loose...but really didn't....

I'd say the single worst corner for me is 9....then 5...but since 5 doesn't matter much for your times vs 9 is VERY important...I always feel like I am leaving lots of speed behind in 9....

I do like the fact that I can take risks in the Lemons racer and not worry (as much) about crashing.... 

It will be interesting to see what type of times a seasoned racer can get with R comps....last time he beat me by 5 seconds a lap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

You know if you go to a 335/40-17 high performance street tire at all four corners it's almost like a skinny R comp... but who would do that... that's insanity

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:

You know if you go to a 335/40-17 high performance street tire at all four corners it's almost like a skinny R comp... but who would do that... that's insanity

Only a bunch of wankers

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

haha i see what you did there!

you're a better driver than you think, and those

Christian Dating
Wedding Favors

The spam filters need updating. This doesn't seem to be a bot.

kemchua - 3 posts, joined today, no location, no noting except email, just like the others.

In addition to kaptchas, maybe charge a $1 fee to join the forum.

who actually clicks on his signature links? me...not interested.

Gembesties Racing
FB.me/gembesties
Denver/Sacremento