Topic: Would home-made gullwing doors pass tech?

I recently purchased a Lemons bound Nissan that originally came with T-tops and I can't help but think it's begging for some crafty gullwing doors as they would make our theme very over-the-top.  I wanted to know if something like this would pass tech as they could make driver egress difficult in the potential (likely?) event of rolling the car and ending up on the roof.    Any advice from the Lemons experts here?

Re: Would home-made gullwing doors pass tech?

just make sure the window holes are big enough to get out through and i'm sure the judges would be fine with it.

they may ask you to exit at tech through the window to test this.

but on these types of important questions, you really just need to e-mail Jay and get the official word. anything else is just speculation.

If the driver can get out through the window opening without opening the door you should be okay....but I would get a firm yes or no before trying it....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

On the McLaren F1 the carbon fiber doors are flexible enough that even when the car is on its roof you can get out the door. Technically they are not gull wings but you get the point.

Edward

Edward
Angry Hamster Racing
Angry Hamster Racing on Facebook

i have some genuine delorean door struts off my D that are too worn to lift the 90lb doors but should open gutted nissan doors quickly, they are your for the cost of shipping

Nissanlorean?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

edward wrote:

On the McLaren F1 the carbon fiber doors are flexible enough that even when the car is on its roof you can get out the door. Technically they are not gull wings but you get the point.

Edward

I somehow don't think this is going to be made out of CF.  hmm 

vwdmc16 wrote:

i have some genuine delorean door struts off my D that are too worn to lift the 90lb doors but should open gutted nissan doors quickly, they are your for the cost of shipping

Haha!  Awesome!  Any estimate to ship to 78748?  I'll send you a few bucks for them! 

Mulry wrote:

Nissanlorean?

I can neither confirm nor deny.  Although, if anyone knows where to buy Krylon silver in bulk, be sure to let me know.

1993gt40 wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Nissanlorean?

I can neither confirm nor deny.  Although, if anyone knows where to buy Krylon silver in bulk, be sure to let me know.

How much bulk do you need?  It only took 4 rattle cans to turn our Honda gold...

Spray tack glue and rolls of aluminum foil...

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Steal a can of Rustoleum from one of your wife's projects, thin it out a tad with some mineral spirits (if she has Rustoleum she likely has mineral spirits), then use rollers to paint it. If you use some masking tape you find laying around the house can get nice lines like on the Jaggernaut in my avatar.

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Spray tack glue and rolls of aluminum foil...

Oh Man!  You are on to something with this one!!

with  foil    you can  tear  of f  pieces  during   race  and cook  potatoes  mmmm good

When you realize the Back to the Future theme is overdone, and it is starting to annoy the judges, you better have a rear engine, a working Flux Capacitor, and a Mr Fusion out back where you refuel.

Be prepared for Judge Johnny to pour a Miller Highlife into said Mr Fusion just as Doc Brown does.

Really though, if you do a DMC, skip the obvious BttF and do a John Delorean theme: Bring two briefcases, 1 full of cash, the other full of cocaine (substitute with powdered sugar if you thing 10kilos of coke is beyond the $500 budget).

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

But officer... it's for a Lemons' theme!

Drat! And Double Drat!