Topic: yet another post requesting roll cage pre-approval :)

Hi folks.

I wanted to post some pics of our recently installed roll cage, it still needs the back bars to the strut towers installed, but besides that I had a few questions

1) besides the back bars, does it look legal?

2) I had to add a harness bar, but I'm worried I put it a touch too high, any comments?

3) Where should I add gussets?  I'm assuming right now just on the floor anchor points.  Anywhere besides that?

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/7237/imag0115n.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/9461/imag0112p.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/6586/imag0114x.jpg
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/2869/imag0113t.jpg

Re: yet another post requesting roll cage pre-approval :)

looks nice, but the diag should be one piece eh?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

You'll kick yourself later if you don't hollow out that door and redo the driver's door bars for more elbow room.  I'd also consider lowering the upper door bar to make it easier to get in and out.

There could possibly be an issue with the diagonal not starting from all the way up in the top corner... but, don't quote me on that.

That's all I see.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Spinnetti wrote:

I'm pretty sure his diagonal IS one piece.  It's the harness bar that's not, and that's perfectly okay.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Diagonal brace looks good as long as it is within six inches from the center of your vertical bend. You don't want it any further away since it keeps the cage from collapsing on the drivers head. Loren is "spot on" the door bars, the top one is pretty high which will cause issues when getting in and out, and too close to the driver can be an issue since your top bar will need padding as per rules. I love convertible cages they are easier to build you can give yourself as much headroom as you want. If your harness bar comes out center of the belt holes you should be O.K. the belts should sit at 0' to 15' degrees on the drivers shoulders which it looks like yours will.
Good luck with your build it looks good.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Loren wrote:

You'll kick yourself later if you don't hollow out that door and redo the driver's door bars for more elbow room.  I'd also consider lowering the upper door bar to make it easier to get in and out.

There could possibly be an issue with the diagonal not starting from all the way up in the top corner... but, don't quote me on that.

That's all I see.

Thanks for the feedback

The door is on the list smile... it actually doesn't close until we hollow it out. 

The door bars seem pretty comfortable for elbow room, but you're right, it's a pain to get in and out of.  I don't think I have time to change them now though, maybe for rev 2

the back diagonal is one piece, the cross bars aren't, but they essentially are.  the harness bar is roll bar tubing welded on little stub-ups... due to clearance I had no other option.  I'd expect my harness hardware to fail before that bar breaks.

Loren wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I'm pretty sure his diagonal IS one piece.  It's the harness bar that's not, and that's perfectly okay.

Oh ya, looks like I didn't see it right... Looks good overall. Generally the "NASCAR" bars have a couple verticals in them to prevent the tubes spreading....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

Diagonal brace looks good as long as it is within six inches from the center of your vertical bend. You don't want it any further away since it keeps the cage from collapsing on the drivers head.....

hummm... it might be close on that number, but as far as strength goes it should be ok since it forms a "hoop" over the drivers head.  Maybe I'll add a gusset to the inner corner for extra strength.

Spinnetti wrote:
Loren wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

Oh ya, looks like I didn't see it right... Looks good overall. Generally the "NASCAR" bars have a couple verticals in them to prevent the tubes spreading....

good idea, maybe we should add a vertical mid-way down the bar, far enough from the elbows.

bikesandcars wrote:
Bender/StickFigureRacing wrote:

Diagonal brace looks good as long as it is within six inches from the center of your vertical bend. You don't want it any further away since it keeps the cage from collapsing on the drivers head.....

hummm... it might be close on that number, but as far as strength goes it should be ok since it forms a "hoop" over the drivers head.  Maybe I'll add a gusset to the inner corner for extra strength.

Gussets are your friend.:D

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Looks good !
Door bar I would cut door out and and run vertical tubes and tie into your door sill for extra protection . Expectional with 4000 lb cars out there .

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!