Topic: Sorry about the Spam!

Sorry about all the recent spam, and thanks to everyone who reported it. We've added another layer of sign-up protection, but there still seems to be a lot slipping through. There are some other plug-ins we're investigating, but we're pretty busy running races for the next couple of weeks--so please bear with us! Thanks much--Nick

"Newest registered user:  Merchant_CashAd"

And on this note, I foresee a lot more.

There should be a SHO button, where we can instantly blow up a thread.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Re: Sorry about the Spam!

Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Well, there's spam egg sausage and spam, that's not got much spam in it.

o/ \o 

I see what you did there.

Team Merikuh
Omaha '10 wussed out, lost too many drivers sad
"Simplify, then add Awesome"

It's getting worse too... you see the re-hashed answers in the Lemons Tech forums with the Spam links in the sig?

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I will not eat green eggs and spam!

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

But I don't want any spam...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

this site needs a CAPCHA when creating an account. (ya know when you have to type the word in the picture when replying to an ad on CraigsList)

that will slow the automated account creation

In addition to capchas, maybe charge a $1 fee to join the forum.

m610 wrote:

charge a $1 fee to join the forum.

Fuck that noise.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

There is work underway to reduce the number of spammers getting on the forum.

Most are coming from Asia.

Please report any spam you see posted by using the "report" link at the bottom of each post.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

There is work underway to reduce the number of spammers getting on the forum.

Most are coming from Asia.

Please report any spam you see posted by using the "report" link at the bottom of each post.

What he said.  If you report it, it make it easier to find and nuke these folks fast.  As you can see Nick has taken a few steps to ensure there are a few more people who can respond to this faster so it doesnt sit around like it did in the past.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I'm excited to see more mods on this site.

How can I report a spam ? what is considered as a spam ?

Aidan wrote:

http://www.crunchgear.com/wp-content/photos/spam_1.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Mmmmm... Now I am hungry....

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Aidan wrote:

At the bottom of each reply is a button that says report.  If you think it sounds fishy hit the button and tell us why.  We'll review before just nuking it so if it seems like it could be spam (they are getting smarter and harder to detect) send it our way and we'll investigate.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

We'll review before just nuking it

Mmm... microwaved spam.

But really, thanks for you guys stepping up and keeping the shenanigans going smoothly in the fora

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

OlCreFoo wrote:

We'll review before just nuking it

Mmm... microwaved spam.

But really, thanks for you guys stepping up and keeping the shenanigans going smoothly in the fora

I get just as annoyed by it as the rest of you so when Nick asked for us to help we were all too happy.  Alot of thanks needs to go to Chris who is going beyond just removing this stuff to trying to find better ways to be proactive and stop it at the source.

Typical of recent spam:
1. The post is vaguely on topic not at all on topic or just plain nonsense
2. Poster joined on the same day of the post and has only 1 - few posts
3. One or two links in the sig are the sure indicator. They are usually to some fishy sounding business opportunity.

m610 wrote:

Typical of recent spam:
3. One or two links in the sig are the sure indicator. They are usually to some fishy sounding business opportunity.

What I'm finding is the IP address of the spammers are originating in Asia or Russia. I'm putting IP blocking in place to keep the majority of them out before they get registered.

The second thing that we are doing is checking the profiles of all the new users and if they have spam in their sig they are getting smoked on the spot before they ever have the chance to make a post.

We are working to get some software plug-ins to automate this work. Until we have it up and going we will be doing it manually.

There are several of us watching out now. I expect to see a LOT less spam making it into the forum.

Your help in spotting it and reporting it is extremely important to our success in reducing the spam. Don't hesitate to his the "report" link if you think something is wrong. We will review it and take care of it.

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:
m610 wrote:

Typical of recent spam:

What I'm finding is the IP address of the spammers are originating in Asia or Russia. I'm putting IP blocking in place to keep the majority of them out before they get registered.

The second thing that we are doing is checking the profiles of all the new users and if they have spam in their sig they are getting smoked on the spot before they ever have the chance to make a post.

We are working to get some software plug-ins to automate this work. Until we have it up and going we will be doing it manually.

There are several of us watching out now. I expect to see a LOT less spam making it into the forum.

Your help in spotting it and reporting it is extremely important to our success in reducing the spam. Don't hesitate to his the "report" link if you think something is wrong. We will review it and take care of it.

I think the majority of the spammers that are coming on the site are done with scripts.  I dont think that there is a room full of small asian children trying to spam random forums.

An options is a random text generator that will send a word challenge to the registrant.  (Or is this already in place?)

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

That is in place now based on what I see in the ADMIN CONFIG settings for the forum.

How about some volunteer admins with nuke authority? Lots of computer nerds in Lemons (me included I suppose).....

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

How about some volunteer admins with nuke authority? Lots of computer nerds in Lemons (me included I suppose).....

Been done as of yesterday, myself and Chris were "promoted" to assist Nick with the task.

JThw8 wrote:

Alot of thanks needs to go to Chris who is going beyond just removing this stuff to trying to find better ways to be proactive and stop it at the source.

Step 1: convert forum to vBulletin 4.x
Step 2: ????
Step 3: PROFIT!!!

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones