Topic: Lemons street Grand Prix

Now this would be lots of fun! What town could use this kind of business? Sure would bring in lots of folks to help out the locals.  Somewhere close to an auto wreckers, cheap beer and overnight camping.

Dr. No-Disturbed Brilliant Mind behind the "take no prisoners" 007 Jaguar

Re: Lemons street Grand Prix

It would also need a gas station at pit in.  That station would make a killing that weekend.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

As far as liability goes, I think we'd have to hold it in Mogadishu. Anywhere else and it'd be a lawyer-fest.

What about a ghost town such as one that's part of an abandoned Air Force base, or perhaps something in the Salton Sea area?

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

Insert Detroit Joke Here:

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style
www.teamreynoldsstyle.com

6 (edited by DrunkMike 2010-04-21 04:26 PM)

But in all seriousness - you guys want to organize an amazing race.  may I present to you:

http://detroitgp.racersites.com/assets/track-map-print.jpg

you might have to double the fees for everything - but you can sign me up right now - Cash in hand.

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style

Ummm, temporary concrete walls lining a Lemons course?  No thanks.  Besides, I try really hard to stay AWAY from Detoilet.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

the southeast corner of California City, California is undeveloped.  We could use that.

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Ummm, temporary concrete walls lining a Lemons course?  No thanks.  Besides, I try really hard to stay AWAY from Detoilet.

no worse than Infineon and we can save the argument about Detroit for another time

Mike,
Team Reynolds Style

DrunkMike wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

no worse than Infineon and we can save the argument about Detroit for another time

Infineon has a few walls *near* the track.  Belle Isle uses the barriers as the track outline.  There is zero runoff around nearly the entire track.  It's very similar to Long Beach.  Ever watch the Toyota Celebrity Race there?  It's a total crash fest and the crashes are always nasty.  It's bad enough when pros race street circuits, but Lemons drivers?  It would be Altamont all over again.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

11 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2010-04-21 07:27 PM)

75 years ago, moonshiners were racing on the beach.  Now look at NASCAR.

A handfull of Lemons dedicated racing facilities are bound to spring up over the next few decades, followed soon after by rust-belt towns hosting Lemons Grands Prix.

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

I like the idea.....the more Lemons races the better

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

I'd totally race belle Isle 24hours! the walls will just keep the screwballs enough to think about that they may not actually try to divebomb anyone.

This could be done in Tijuana. Really. I'm serious. They already have a street Grand Prix that I race in there and they've expressed much interest in hosting a Lemons race.

I figure some of you must be brave enough.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

magnusracing wrote:

This could be done in Tijuana. Really. I'm serious. They already have a street Grand Prix that I race in there and they've expressed much interest in hosting a Lemons race.

I figure some of you must be brave enough.

How do you keep the narco gangs out?

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:

How do you keep the narco gangs out?

Surprisingly they seem rather uninterested in the Tijuana Grand Prix. Guess we racer don't steal any of their business!

In all seriousness none of the gringos that race down there, including myself, have ever had a security problem.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

I'm totally down. I was in TJ last year!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

18 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-04-22 04:01 AM)

What about a ghost town such as one that's part of an abandoned Air Force base, or perhaps something in the Salton Sea area?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picher,_Oklahoma#Closure - "As of June 29, 2009, all of the residents had been given federal checks to enable them to relocate from Picher permanently. The town is considered to be too toxic to be habitable."

It's only a three hour drive for me.

Pitcher- complete with Chat Pile Chicanes and a pre-race slag slalom! 

Why not just buy an entire neighborhood in Detroit and not worry about the concrete barriers with the Belle Isle?

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

We would be in a Belle Isle Lemons faster than Kwame can text his hos.

OMG, I would be on a plane back from Germany so fast.... We love driving on the Island. It's not so much that there is no runoff, it's that most of the runoff is under water. tongue

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

belle isle, I'd be there in a heartbeat!

atomicalex wrote:

.... We love driving on the Island. It's not so much that there is no runoff, it's that most of the runoff is under water. tongue

Gives a whole new meaning to "4 wheels off."

sergio wrote:
atomicalex wrote:

.... We love driving on the Island. It's not so much that there is no runoff, it's that most of the runoff is under water. tongue

Gives a whole new meaning to "4 wheels off."

"I'm not a boat" penalty

I could see 'get out of jail free' cards for donating large boat anchors to weld to the roof

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

lucky for me I already race a boat! big_smile