1 (edited by IgnoranteWest 2010-04-21 07:10 PM)

Topic: Engine Swap Question

I pulled this quote from a different thread, discussing the theoretical aft-ward engine relocation in a pickup.

jimeditorial wrote:

You should use two {yokes} with a short driveshaft....the centreline of the trans output shaft and the diff yoke should be offset but parallel. If you can use a CV joint do it..the trans output yoke will vibrate less...

Help me understand more about the centerline of the output shaft and diff yoke needing to be parallel but offset.  For what reason should it be offset?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Re: Engine Swap Question

Conventional U-joints don't rotate smoothly at any angle other than straight ahead, i.e they actually speed up and slow down slightly as they rotate, setting up a torsional vibration that varies with joint angle, so you want to phase the joints to cancel the effect out as much as you can to limit the vibration. To do this the two angles (output shaft/front joint/driveshaft and driveshaft/rear joint/diff yoke) should be as close to the same as possible, so the trans output and diff input should be parallel and stay parallel as much as possible as the rear end articulates....if you want/need a "straight through" driveshaft to the diff, you can use a CV joint behind the trans to minimize the vibration. Get his wrong and you'll have annoying vibration and in some cases like an old aluminum driveshaft, breakage. It was a big problem on my short track cars with locked diffs pulling really short gears, at least until an experienced guy showed it to me.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....