Topic: Finally set myself up with a Lemons car

The S10 that I picked up for free wound up being a little more than I wanted to get into for Lemons, and subsequently at the same time my GF decided that her Civic needed to be totaled. So long story short, I found my way still in a relationship yet without a Lemons car.

So, after trolling craigslist and talking to friends on a saturn website (Ive had a few of them in my lifetime) and got my hands on a 98 Saturn SC2M with a blown head gasket. Everything is perfect aside from that... best part is, got her for a cool $300

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs335.ash1/28935_388223497423_534587423_4142168_5540284_n.jpg

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Re: Finally set myself up with a Lemons car

Saturns have a GREAT reliability at Lemons races.....good choice!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Sarcasm?

Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon

Doubt it.  Saturns have done very well in Lemons.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Icemang's being sincere.  Check it:

http://jalopnik.com/5450420/results-of- … 00-beaters

1978 AMC Pacer - The Blue Flag Special
BFE GP '12 - IOE
BFE GP '13 - Co-Organizer's Choice w/ Speed Holes Wrenching

6 (edited by Shvd_Box 2010-05-02 09:03 PM)

I was just a little curious as I know that these cars eat head gaskets and spit out trans diff pins like they are nothing. I already have to replace the first and Im getting a buddy of mine to weld the diff for me as soon as possible. Hopefully third time is the charm, as I have owned  the entire Saturn lineup from 1998 now (98 SL2, 98 SW2 that were gotten rid of a long time ago)

I do have a serious question though... I have read the rules on seats, and I understand that the single piece seats are suggested. Now Im not gonna go out and purchase the awesome blue and lime green APC seat sitting at my local pepboys, but all of the guys that Im getting to help with this like to sit differently. would a reclining seat on sliders, bolted to the factory mounting point with the factory hardware, be acceptable? I am asking this well in advance of seat purchasement (not a real word, but we are gonna run with it) so that I know that Im buying the right thing. I do know that I will need a brace behind the seat, to stop the seat from fully reclining in an accident if I read it correctly... Sorry for asking the noob question outside of the noob forum!

And all plastic bodywork.   Better for escaping in a fire, just wait 1 minute and the entire car diappears

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Shvd_Box wrote:

I do have a serious question though... I have read the rules on seats, and I understand that the single piece seats are suggested. Now Im not gonna go out and purchase the awesome blue and lime green APC seat sitting at my local pepboys, but all of the guys that Im getting to help with this like to sit differently. would a reclining seat on sliders, bolted to the factory mounting point with the factory hardware, be acceptable? I am asking this well in advance of seat purchasement (not a real word, but we are gonna run with it) so that I know that Im buying the right thing. I do know that I will need a brace behind the seat, to stop the seat from fully reclining in an accident if I read it correctly... Sorry for asking the noob question outside of the noob forum!

Bad Idea - I wouldn't feel safe in a seat that reclines. We have a Sparco FIA something or other that we got on craigslist for $250 and it's the best money we spent on the car. It's comfortable for a race seat, and I think a lot safer in the event of an incident than a two piece seat of any kind. When you have a good seat that doesn't move around you can belt yourself in tight enough to not move - and use all your energy for operating the car instead of holding yourself in the seat. Doesn't seem like much going around the block - but in an hour and a half race stint it's night and day.

Tech doesn't like reclining mechanisms as they typically add some play in the seatback.  At Stafford last year, I think that I ended up welding 4-5 of them so people could pass tech.  One of our cars had problems passing with a slider - it too was loose and we had to fnd a way to tighten it up to pass.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Ok, so you guys have convinced me out of the reclining seat... but if I mounted the seat on rails that were pieces of angle iron that had several holes drilled in them and we just moved the seats at driver changes (yea, time consuming but it would need to happen. my shortest driver is 5'4 and I am 6'1) would that pass tech, as long as I used good hardware?

Shvd_Box wrote:

Ok, so you guys have convinced me out of the reclining seat... but if I mounted the seat on rails that were pieces of angle iron that had several holes drilled in them and we just moved the seats at driver changes (yea, time consuming but it would need to happen. my shortest driver is 5'4 and I am 6'1) would that pass tech, as long as I used good hardware?

As long as it's a solid mount you should be fine.

We are using the stock sliders with a plate between the seat and the sliders.

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Shvd_Box wrote:

Set the seat up so that it is close but still comfortable for you.  Have your shorter driver sit in it and see if they can get by with a cushion behind them.  We have the same spread of driver heights and we have our seat in a fixed position.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Awesomesauce Ive been looking around and I could get a pair of the one piece seats for around $500, not bad. then Ill just make the mounts and go on with my day!

I also love having owned other saturns in the past, as well as having friends that still do. I came into some free parts in the last 24 hours!

Here's another option on a seat.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KIR-19400/

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Maybe someone knows something about these?  I almost went this route before finding a closeout OMP. 
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SCA-80-1790-61/

Plain Jane '86 BMW 535i - Current
RIP People's Elbowed Protege - 2010

Yeah, I refuse to buy the Kirkey seat because the car will still be driven around before Lemons to the local Saturn meets and I want a little bit of comfort. as Ive stated before Im a big guy (not just horizontal but vertical) and that seat, along with almost identical brides, would be comfy for both instances of driving

Just to let you know...I'm 6'4 210 pounds and it's not too terrible in the comfort areas with the seat pad.

So you're gonna drive a car w/ a cage on the street?

Doesn't that mean you'll be banging your skull on the cage when crossing RR tracks and stuff?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

19 (edited by Serj 2010-05-04 06:21 AM)

Shvd_Box wrote:

Yeah, I refuse to buy the Kirkey seat because the car will still be driven around before Lemons to the local Saturn meets and I want a little bit of comfort. as Ive stated before Im a big guy (not just horizontal but vertical) and that seat, along with almost identical brides, would be comfy for both instances of driving

We have an 18" Kirkey Intermediate Road Race Seat with the pad on our buick, and have driven it back n' forth to 2 races (3h trips one way in both cases) and haven't had any comfort issues with the seat. My only comfort issue is the car's cruise control has been yanked and the seat position makes it uncomfortable in my ankle to drive part-throttle for extended periods.

FJ40Jim wrote:

Doesn't that mean you'll be banging your skull on the cage when crossing RR tracks and stuff?

only if you build the cage too close to the driver, which you shouldn't be doing anyway tongue  With the belts on the main hoop is the closest thing to my head and I still have to reach for it. It's padded too, so I think it -could- be just fine for his purposes. smile

FJ40Jim wrote:

Nope, when its built right it is just fine... my DSM is street driven and has everything but door bars. Its been made to go very straight for a very short period of time and I have no issues with driving it at all (and honestly, it almost made it to the Lemons car, but I blew the Lemons budget on just the turbo and piping!)

According to my fundamentally flawed statistical analysis of Lemons vehicle reliability, the Saturn S-series is the third most reliable Lemons car.

Oh dont worry, I read that forward to back words and I am just in disbelief over it. I cant wait to get to stripping this car and tweaking what I can within budget... so far Im $345.67 into the car, with the new head gasket and the purchase of the car. Im glad that the welding of the diff is free, and the exhaust manifold (which I found out is cracked upon removal) is also facing a free replacement as I have a header for a 92 twin cam motor. so all in all im happy with the find so far