Topic: Lemons or Bust! New 5th wheel -or- how I hitched my wagon!

Behold my latest bad idea. World domination headquarters - lite.

I call it "Le 5th Wheel".

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs560.snc3/30601_1446380964074_1369652107_1185275_7176778_n.jpg

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs560.snc3/30601_1446381044076_1369652107_1185277_1922203_n.jpg

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs540.snc3/30601_1446380844071_1369652107_1185272_4551182_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Re: Lemons or Bust! New 5th wheel -or- how I hitched my wagon!

How is it going to... um...  stay upright?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

How is it going to... um...  stay upright?

Elves with an uncanny sense of balance.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

rear bumper replacement mounted?  lol

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Looks nice. And with the massive power of the MG combined with the areo factor of the parachute that is the top half of the trailer, you might be able to get to 40 mph.

m610 wrote:

...the massive power of the MG combined with the areo factor of the parachute that is the top half of the trailer....

MGBs do surprisingly well at freeway speeds and over mountain passes under such circumstances.  Trust me on this one.

Pete-- Nice looking trailer!  I even like the plate, which is not easy for a Pacific Northwesterner to admit.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

7 (edited by Pendejo 2010-05-06 03:47 PM)

It stays upright by the use of a wood carved gyroscope mounted just above the wheel,

That thing is COOL.

Pendejo

That looks like a fine wagon to burn, wait what ..............

I think we can all agree that this was, indeed, quite the adventure!

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

10 (edited by "Sparky" Pete 2010-05-10 10:47 PM)

WHAT A TRIP!

First I had issues combining a 63 year old Allstate light with a 31 year old Lucas electrical system. Whoda thunk? Then I ripped the exhaust off the overloaded MGB as I left the driveway which provided much entertainment for my audience of neighbors.

Delay after delay kept me in the driveway a good 6 hours past my intended departure time. The wife came home and said "You're still here?"

I said "No, I'm in Willows. Hand me that wrench. Please"

I finally got rolling as the sun went down and went over the Sunol Grade at 65mph with about 1/3 throttle. All seemed to be going well until I got to Suisun bay for a pit-stop and a burger, and discovered the tire was going flat.

@#$%^!!!

One $1.89 tube patch-kit and a herniated disc later I had a one wheel trailer sitting on a smashed campstove and ice chest and I had a semi-fixed inner tube that is holding air. Elapsed time after scheduled departure... 11 hours 35 minutes... for a 3 hour trip. The wife even showed up for moral support, bringing me a floor jack and extra cotter-pins.

45 minutes later and I'm on I-505 in the dark with a smoking and crumpled trailer tire. The wife texts "I just got home". Coyotes and dogs howl in the distance and big rigs seem to drift over right where I'm parked on a regular basis.

I nurse the trailer to the next exit (3/4 mile) and befriend a meth-head lady in a Honda hybrid who asks if I'm ok, thinks I'm "Fascinating" because of my funny trailer, big hair and little car, want's to know if I'm single and shares with me her love of lasers for the next hour and a half. At least she kept the wild dogs away and I got my first unrequested phone number in many years. "You're not going to call me are you?"

"Probably not" I smiled.

My adoptive teammates Judy & Paul of Stick Figure racing came to my rescue and chased off the wild dogs and coyotes. We loaded up the trailer onto their truck and made our way into Willows around 3:30am the next day. Elapsed time after scheduled departure, 15 hours, 30 minutes for a 3 hour trip. At this point I had about 3-4 hours of sleep in several days and was beginning to hallucinate. I know this because the top of the grain silos spoke to me and said "Parkay". There is NO way those things are full of margarine.

Friday morning I hit every tire and hardware store in town before finding replacement tube & tire (The last one) and got to change my very first split-rim.

Sunday the pressure had dropped to 10 PSI. Uh oh. Stick Figure came to my rescue once again and pumped me up, we crossed our fingers and they followed me as far as 505. I got lots of honks and waves from Lemons teams as they blew past, thus proving to me that I still have the slowest vehicles on the planet, both on and off the track. Smoking, missing, using oil and water as fast as I can put it in... it's my daily driver so I live Lemons every day. In fact, many of the parts that got the Killer ZomBee back on the road came off this car and are now back on it.

In Vaccaville I stopped to check the tire and discovered the cover was beginning to shred, and my ingenious brackets on the front wall were collapsing. One hour later I had mickey-moused the "camper" back to health with bungie cords.

By Suisun Bay the ingenious brackets had collapsed completely and suddenly failed. Another hour plus some wood screws later and I was back on the road yet again with no further surprises. I made it home by 11:30pm, this time making the trip in just one calendar day!

Was it all worth it? Most definitely! And the little camper was quite comfortable thanks to teammate Larry's spare air mattress.

Thanks everyone for a great weekend, and especially Judy & Paul (jkfoto & Bender) for going beyond the call of duty again and again. Pure awesomeness in people form!!

Amazing!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Paul and Judy are greatness. Plus they kept you cougar-free! smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We saw you trailoring this back down the 5 right after the race.  Looked awesome!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

Best looking tow vehicle on the road for sure!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Okay, I believe we're firmly back to you being the crazy one. My driving hallucinations are mostly restricted to the belief that someone behind me is gently kicking my seat back, though I admit that is particularly troubling in the MGB.

Sounds like a great trip; glad it went reasonably well.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Pete, that is GOLD.

Epic, Pete.

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

Pete, I must say, you're nuts.

Awesome.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

doctawife wrote:

Pete, I must say, you're nuts.

Awesome.

Yeah, he is, but it's the GOOD kind of nuts! ;-)

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/