Topic: Hans device... why aren't you guys running one?

So far we've been to two races, the lamest day and American irony. one of the biggest changes we did between the races was to switch from the stupidly uncomfortable foam collars to a hans and we also added a massive 36" wide panoramic mirror. between both of these things our visibility was greatly increased and our safety was improved.

with the sliding tether option on the hans you can turn your head very comfortably. it really doesn't get in the way.

after getting great comments from all the drivers on our team on the improved comfort I'm surprised to see how few teams run a hans. I think I saw one other team that was using one.

Re: Hans device... why aren't you guys running one?

Yup, a driver broke his neck at Infineon this year in an accident during the "Sears Pointless" event. Had he had a HANS, I dare say he would have been ok. $700 is cheap insurance from a seroius head/neck injury.

I will have to check out the sliding tether option.

Frankly, I'm far more concerned of fire than a neck snapping impact in crapcan racing so right now will trade the extra mobility of the foam collar for the potential protection of the Hans.

Drat! And Double Drat!

We are running a HANS with the sliding teather. I'll never go back to the collar.

Its not the low "price" option but it is the low "cost" option in my book.

krek wrote:

Frankly, I'm far more concerned of fire than a neck snapping impact in crapcan racing so right now will trade the extra mobility of the foam collar for the potential protection of the Hans.

that's the thing, mobility is actually better with the Hans than the foam collar

Marc wrote:
krek wrote:

that's the thing, mobility is actually better with the Hans than the foam collar

+1

We ran our first race at NPR in Louisiana with the HANS, and the sliding tether option rocked the house.  I could see just fine, I was less hot, I felt safer and driver changes were just as fast (or slow, in our case).  There was NO downside.

I'm not sure a HANS would have prevented the neck injury earlier this year.  Some questions exist around the timing of the injury: did it occur on impact or when he was getting out of the car while upside down.  If the injury occurred during the impact, a HANS might have been very useful.  If the injury occurred while the driver was dropping himself out of the seat to get out of the flaming car, not so much.

Either way, I <heart> my HANS.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I just checked my UPS tracking info ... my DefNder arrives today!

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I would imagine the foam neck braces are actually better at protecting against compression injury.  Its the 'whiplash' type that hans are better at.  If you have enough roof clearance and tight enough harnesses, the compression injury should be fairly hard to incur.  Right now honestly for me its just a $$ thing, but as we plan on doing more and more events, the hans becomes more and more practical looking

If you think it's easier to get out of a burning car with a hans, than a foam collar you are on crack.  those collars pull right off.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

I had such a hard time turning my neck in the collar that the side mirrors were unusable. With the HANS I can turn my head freely. My opinion is that I'm a safer driver with the HANS than with the collar. I have plenty of friends that have hit things HARD with their HANS and have walked away with nothing. They may have been as well off with a collar, I don't know. I'm happy with my decision though and won't be going back. Its so much more comfortable and based on the info I have equally if not better in protecting your kneck in a collision.

Strictly my opinion...

rushman wrote:

I would imagine the foam neck braces are actually better at protecting against compression injury.  Its the 'whiplash' type that hans are better at.  If you have enough roof clearance and tight enough harnesses, the compression injury should be fairly hard to incur.  Right now honestly for me its just a $$ thing, but as we plan on doing more and more events, the hans becomes more and more practical looking

They might be 'better' but they'd still suck.  Unless you have a very short neck or a very big donut, I can't see the foam collars helping all that much with a compression injury.  The c-collars we use in the ER are much much higher than the typical foam racing collar.  Either way, an axial load (force applied from the top of the head down) is really what the rollcage and 5 point harness combo is supposed to prevent.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Trevor57 wrote:

If you think it's easier to get out of a burning car with a hans, than a foam collar you are on crack.  those collars pull right off.

But if you're trapped in a fire, you won't pull off anything. I've been there and almost strangled myself on radio leads trying to get out in a hurry....ripped my suit wide open when it hung up on the door frame and I didn't even notice until I got back to the pits. When the instinct kicks in, it takes a cooler head than mine to think about unhooking stuff when the oxygen runs out...that's my only concern about HANS...can you get out in a hurry?

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

The foam collars always seemed like a bandage on a bigger wound, i.e. you need some sort of protection, and this is the lowest level we can find. 

I've used foam collars in kart racing and such, and they always seemed hot, obtrusive, and just plain uncomfortable.  (I'm a big guy with a small neck)

Going to HANS for me was important for two reasons - #1 I have 5 married guys, two with kids, and all with responsibilities greater than their own selves.  #2 The HANS is just comfortable!

With that in mind, it was an extremely easy decision to get the HANS.  I feel like I've put the highest level of protection on the guys that I put in the car.  I know this is crapcan racing, but the last thing I want is to face someone's loved ones after an incident where added safety equipment could have prevented further injury.

My $0.02.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

We used the Hans for the first time last weekend. The sliding tethers work just fine. You can't put a dollar amount on the extra protection.

we found that regular driver changes were easiest done with the driver getting out with it on. so I'd say it's pretty easy to get out with it on.

but if you're nit-picking those details, there's LOTS of cages out there that don't address quick egress already.

heck, there was a cage at gingerman that was so close to the helmet that the driver could not sit strait, it was interfering.

anyways, my goal was just to get people thinking of the Hans. I'm still glad that it's optional so it doesn't create a barrier to entry in the sport. but if you've done a few Lemons races, there's really no excuse for you to still be running the foam collar.

sergio wrote:

You can't put a dollar amount on the extra protection.

<flame suit on>

You can't?  Well the vendor sure as hell can. 

My biggest gripe with HANS is IMO is they are price gouging.  Hold your helmet in one hand and your HANS in the other.  OK, now how much did the helmet cost?  $350-$400?  Do you think it cost more to build a HANS than a helmet?  No freaking way, so why is it TWICE the price?  Don't give me that crap about the cost of R&D because they recovered that from F1 long ago, if not I'm sure by now from they have from NASCAR. 

You can say you can't put a price on safety, but I can point you to a whole list of people who can, and do.

I can't say I won't ever get a H&N restraint, but when I do it will be from another vendor besides HANS.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

jimeditorial wrote:
Trevor57 wrote:

But if you're trapped in a fire, you won't pull off anything. I've been there and almost strangled myself on radio leads trying to get out in a hurry....ripped my suit wide open when it hung up on the door frame and I didn't even notice until I got back to the pits. When the instinct kicks in, it takes a cooler head than mine to think about unhooking stuff when the oxygen runs out...that's my only concern about HANS...can you get out in a hurry?

We don't have a quick release steering wheel and our car is smaller than most, so egress is about as bad as anybody's.  We get in and out of the car with the HANS on and it is a breeze.  I really don't think it makes getting out any slower or tougher than wearing nothing.  I have worn a collar in the past and in our car, it is harder to twist the helmet sideways to fit it under the roof when exiting.  The HANS allows this motion.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

18 (edited by Fish 2010-05-06 09:47 AM)

A couple of us on our team use the R3. Its a little easier to use in an offroad car since thats what we do most of the time and it works well in the Lemons cars too:

http://www.pciraceradios.com/product_images/1401th.jpg
http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDet … 8695703041

They have a less expensive version thats plastic instead of carbon and its the same thing otherwise:
http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDet … 1139665921

I've used foam collars when kart racing and a DefNder (that also has sliding tethers) for 4 races now.  I bought it for the sole purpose of preventing neck injuries and consider it to be just another part of MY required safefy gear. 

While the DefNder constrains range of motion side to side (as it should) I've never once found it inhibited my race vision.  The only time I really notice it is while driving through the paddock where you sometimes need to to "peak around" corners or back up.  It could inhibit vision when trying to reenter the race course after going off (but I don't tend to do that) and that's what mirrors and flaggers are there to help with.

It does require that I prepare to suit/helmet up a few minutes earlier than I normally would but other than that is no hassle.

I don't remove it when exiting the car but I do practice unbuckling and making certain the belts don't snag when making a quick exit.

-- John Robertson / Schumacher Taxi Service

Know more about a Craptation, coROLLa and BMW than I ever wanted to!
Stafford 08, CMP Spring/Fall 09, Stafford 09, Nelson Ledges 09, CMP Winter 10, VIR Chump 10, IOE Winning Craptation CMP Spring 2010, and lots more

They have a less expensive version thats plastic instead of carbon and its the same thing otherwise:
http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDet … 1139665921

That's the same price as a HANS (if you don't get the $50 sliding mounts).

DeFnder was only $549 and included free shipping and a carrying case.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

YesIFit wrote:

DeFnder was only $549 and included free shipping and a carrying case.

Did you ever get an official word from Jay if he allows it in Lemons?

PapaJohn55 has used one in multiple races.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

VKZ24 wrote:
sergio wrote:

You can't put a dollar amount on the extra protection.

<flame suit on>

You can't?  Well the vendor sure as hell can. 

My biggest gripe with HANS is IMO is they are price gouging.  Hold your helmet in one hand and your HANS in the other.  OK, now how much did the helmet cost?  $350-$400?  Do you think it cost more to build a HANS than a helmet?  No freaking way, so why is it TWICE the price?  Don't give me that crap about the cost of R&D because they recovered that from F1 long ago, if not I'm sure by now from they have from NASCAR. 

You can say you can't put a price on safety, but I can point you to a whole list of people who can, and do.

I can't say I won't ever get a H&N restraint, but when I do it will be from another vendor besides HANS.

while I agree that $700 is a bit of money, when you break it down it really isn't that bad.

It's a device that promises to prevent your neck from breaking and this is America. I bet at least $200 from every sale goes to lawyers. next, it's FIA certified. I bet there is a royalty payment for each device they sell.

Next there's the volume issue. there's a heck of a lot less of these sold than helmets. this significantly affect price.

There's also a retail merchant in the chain of purchase. that's another 20-40% off the top (35% is a normal average)

While I'd be happier if it would have been in the $500 range, the price is what it is and I'm fine with it. you're welcome to do what you want with your neck, it doesn't affect me.

Marc wrote:

Did you ever get an official word from Jay if he allows it in Lemons?

It's been used by multiple drivers in multiple Lemons races and it's got the same SFI 38.1 (Head and Neck restraint) rating as the HANS. IIRC, the foam collars are only SFI 3.3 (Helmet Support) rated.

A list of all SFI 38.1 rated HNRs can be found here --> http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints