Re: Goin For Broken Thunderhill 2010 Rice Rocket Racing Roll

riu wrote:

, i should have waited for a more opportune time to pass.

Yeah, unless it was the last lap and you were in second place, that was a horrible place to attempt a pass (even with a wave).  It looks like you waved to say sorry for hitting him and turned your head.  The wheel followed your head and drove back across his nose.  Kudos for owning it though.  Many people wouldn't.  Live and learn

From the camera behind, he was going fairly straight and the other car came left and hit him.

28 (edited by squidbreath 2010-05-12 10:22 AM)

Bobnova wrote:

From the camera behind, he was going fairly straight and the other car came left and hit him.

Not!  I was the other driver.  I made room at the entry and apex.  I was on a trajectory that took me to the edge of the track on exit which you can see from my position when we hit.  He was sliding laterally when we first hit.  He had not moderated his speed to account for my car which was obviously going to be near his exit point when he arrived at it.  He was the car behind.  It was his duty to make the pass safely and without incident.  He should have moderated his speed enough to allow me room at the exit.

If he expected my car to disappear or for me to stop dead in my tracks so he could track all the way out then he was nuts.  It's a race!  I suppose I would have stopped dead in my tracks if I'd realized he was going to be reckless but I thought if I was polite enough to make room for him then he'd be polite enough to leave room for me too.

The contact was completely unintentional.  I'm just glad no one was hurt.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

riu wrote:

i shouldn't have trusted that he knew i was there ...

Ah, I tell all my drivers over and over, all weekend, to drive like no one else can see you. Because they probably don't!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

squidbreath wrote:

If he expected my car to disappear or for me to stop dead in my tracks so he could track all the way out then he was nuts.  It's a race!  I suppose I would have stopped dead in my tracks if I'd realized he was going to be reckless but I thought if I was polite enough to make room for him then he'd be polite enough to leave room for me too.

The contact was completely unintentional.  I'm just glad no one was hurt.

The first part of this is a response to Pierre

The second is to all the people trying to point fingers at someone, this was an accident, no one tried to cause this incident, so just let it be what it is and stop putting blame on people.

Pierre, I hope that you aren't bitter about the situation. I'm taking responsibility for making a bad call, my judgement at the time was that I had enough room since you were backing off a bit, obviously I was wrong about how much space was actually there.

Its pretty clear that I tried to follow the POS F'ed Up E30's line as close as possible which was a clean line. I just was a fraction of a second slower through that window and anyone driving a rwd car on that turn knows it can easily get loose at exit if you are carrying some decent speed.

You guys still got to race for a few hours after the incident anyways, at worst, you lost maybe 3 or 4 hours of track time out of 16+ hours.

All in all it was an accident and no one should be putting blame all on one person or the other. Shit just happens.

I'm tired of hearing and reading people trying to blame Pierre, I'm tired of hearing and reading people trying to blame me. In in the end it doesn't really actually matter. So no one should be pointing fingers. Its not like there was any purely stupid and wreckless decision made, and its not like there was malicious intent either.

That pass was possible, its not an impossible wreckless move, I just didn't pull it off. Pierre didn't see me and he was running out of road, he didn't want to pit me but he had to stay on his line. It's NOBODY'S fault. So everyone just sit back enjoy the spectacle that is Lemons, at least we have a good story to tell.

Riu

I don't blame you.  I don't think you were reckless.  I recognize that you thought I'd slow more than I did.  It was a racing incident.  These things happen.  I'm not bitter.  It didn't ruin our weekend.  I was just reacting to Nova and others who are trying to place blame.  I guess it got under my skin.

You and I are at peace with it and that's probably all that matters.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

No no, i don't mean the initial contact, i mean the second contact that actually sent the Z off the road.
The initial contact was all Z all day.  The second contact the Z was going roughly straight, and the other car came over.  It looks like it may have come over due to a light-but-getting-worse fishtailing being corrected.

I'm not trying to assign blame to anybody, like i said previously it's racing and these things happen, nobody intentionally crashed into anybody else.

Bob,
Yeah he did come over at me, but thats how the road was, it was a left sweeper, he had to turn left, Pierre was really really really running out of road, more than i initially thought, it was either going to have to be him going 4 wheels straight off into the dirt so I have room to correct my fish tailing after the first contact, him braking harder than he probably should have that deep into the corner OR do what he had to do and stay on the road and hope that I can settle my rear end down. He did what was right for him and it just didn't work out for me.

But you're right, the fish tailing wasn't very bad after the initial contact and it could have been saved had there been space. if there was another foot of road for Pierre to take, then the second contact probably wouldn't have happened.

That explains a lot, the movement of the asphalt isn't really visible in the video.

yep, its a high speed corner that has a slightly off camber exit so its at the cusp of breaking cars loose if anyone takes it fast anyways, the ideal line would obviously be to start a little wider, which is what i normally do, but entering in one car width tighter than what i had been doing, at the same speed at what i was doing before got me just loose enough to slide a few inches... but that was a few inches too close to Pierre's front fender.