1 (edited by riu 2010-05-10 01:49 AM)

Topic: Goin For Broken Thunderhill 2010 Rice Rocket Racing Roll

Here is our in car footage of the roll.

I really thought that he saw me in the back when he waved the F'ed Up car through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLYfOS_Od1s

Gallery here

Head On Photos
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 … d14f06eab1

Cell Phone pics
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=4 … e8a4d9930c

Re: Goin For Broken Thunderhill 2010 Rice Rocket Racing Roll

Ouch!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

No PIcs of it being loaded on trailer ? 

haha

Chris

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

my cell phone was out of batteries halfway into sunday so no cell phone pics, the head on photo guys didn't shoot anything in the pits, so i'm at the mercy of my team mates and pit neighbors for those shots. but most of them were busy loading their own stuff or helping us load

you really bailed us out though chris... now wade and I have to figure out how to get it off the trailer so we can strip the damn thing.

pick the back of car up with cherry picker/engine hoist and pull it off

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Tough luck. It was good to see you up and walking around immediately in the pits.

In the other video (the car right behind you), it looks like you slid out and pushed him into the curbing and he was just steering to try to stay on track.

I had something similar (with different results) when the 81 Crown Vic was coming on track and decided it wanted to take the inside line of turn 1 before he was up to speed and right when I was already committed to it having made my turn-in. I couldn't brake any more or else I would have looped the back end so I went up on the inside of the berm and then we met door to door (mini to crown vic!).  He backed off and moved outside after the contact and I throttled ahead to maintain grip. Had he not backed off, I would have gotten a similar pit maneuver and rolled. I only ended up with some modified steering geometry and pitted immediately to fix it. He may not have even felt it any more than he would feel a bug spatter on the windscreen.

Again, glad you are ok. And FWIW, the damage looks limited to a left rear swingarm, disc, and axle. Oh, and a couple wheels.

Park under a big tree, ropes to the big branches, pull the trailer out. Voila, the car is still off the ground, making it easier to strip it.

Wow, glad you're ok man.

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Sorry again Roger.  Hope you're not too sore this morning.  Here is a picture of the 280zx i'll let your team have so you can get back on the road.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oowtCP1I5d4/S … 1600/z.jpg

Signed, the Mercedes driver.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Hope everybody is OK.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

spank

where can i see the 'other video' that you mention?

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

squidbreath wrote:

spank

where can i see the 'other video' that you mention?

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=4763

squidbreath wrote:

Sorry again Roger.  Hope you're not too sore this morning.  Here is a picture of the 280zx i'll let your team have so you can get back on the road.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oowtCP1I5d4/S … 1600/z.jpg

Signed, the Mercedes driver.

thanks! you guys were great sports about the whole thing.

I just watched the other video too, i think its probably a combination of me expecting you to back off a little bit more, and you not realizing i was coming through.

you gave a good amount of space for the F'ed Up car, if i was a split second quicker then I could have made it through the window too.

I'm glad that you're car is still in good shape.

wow.  from that vid it looks like you hit him, waved, then he said f you and pitted you.  lol.  i think without the wave you might have saved it.  post the traqmate data.  should be interesting

squidbreath wrote:

That is 'stand up'.  Tremendous!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

i could go on forever with what I could have done

if i didn't hesitate for a split second on the throttle when i jumped behind F'ed Up, if i kept going and didn't wait to see if Pierre (?) was going to wave us through then I would have made it.

if Pierre hesitated on the throttle, I would have made it.

if i didn't wave to him, maybe i could have kept it straight

if there was 6 inches of more track i would have settled my rear end a little more and we could have both made it through without contact at all.

who knows.

i'm done speculating, what happened, happened, and they were really cool about it all after the incident.

All in all, I enjoyed my weekend, and i'm sure all of you did too. thats what matters.

It's racing, that kind of thing happens.  It can be what-if'd for decades, and fingers can be pointed for even longer.  Nobody got hurt, that's the important part.

I did get some stereo slide-pair shots of the Z and Riu after they came in on the wrecker (some of you may have noticed my weird-looking double camera), but it will take a few days to get the slides back from processing.

Wanna borrow my hammer?

The curse of the yellow car continues...

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

can't wait to see the pics Phil

Perhaps I will scan and post both left and right stereo images, so that super-geeked-out readers with LCD shutter glasses on their monitors can see the image in 3D.

fabtoys wrote:

No PIcs of it being loaded on trailer ? 

haha

Chris

pics courtesy of Doug

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- … 4245_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs065.snc … 6033_n.jpg

maybe, but i doubt it, i started fishtailing from the first impact and was trying to wave him with the right to give me a little more space, left hand was firmly on the wheel.

i shouldn't have trusted that he knew i was there when waving the F'ed Up car through, i should have waited for a more opportune time to pass.

The driver of the Benz swore he had no idea there was a car behind the POS E30, which he kept describing as "the really fast white car."

i think from my in car cam, my line was pretty much the same as the POS E30, i just needed a fraction of a second more time to make it through the window.

but like its been said before, whats done is done i think both Pierre and I accept responsibility for what happened and we both could have made that situation a little safer, and in the end we all made it out of there okay... well except for the car.