Topic: The only roll over at Goin' for Broken?

I offer this without comment:

http://www.vimeo.com/11623680

Re: The only roll over at Goin' for Broken?

Nice video. It finally explains why the car looked like (in the in-car) it got bumped then spun.

Yikes...

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

The Z car driver is OK and IMO the car was re-themed in the wreck and needs nothing but some mechanical fixes. 

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PP8RN7Ijbvc/SSM5qwWxQWI/AAAAAAAAAJA/BGLAWX5UYyg/s400/Original+eleanor+2.jpg

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

I think the orange car pulled a pit maneuver.

Justice...with a smile.

6 (edited by Bobnova 2010-05-10 11:38 AM)

I can't really tell if the orange car was moved left due to limited tracking, the rumblestrip/curb running out, or due to being pissed off.

It looks like they saw the Z and gave it room, but the Z went too wide on exit and hit the orange car, knocking it onto the stripedstrip, then the orange car came back (for whatever reason) and hit the Z, sending it off on it's wild ride.

The gone in 60 seconds car is trashed at the wrong end, so reverse the lettering on the Lemons car so it matches, then it'd be perfect!

Looked like the orange car was just trying to stay on the track.  The Z didn't give it much room.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Was the why am I upside down rule applied in this case?

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

When i talked to a couple team members afterwards it sounded like the plan was to cut the cage out and put it in another car.

That's a good question though, it didn't stay upside down very long.

10 (edited by Rob Stercraw 2010-05-10 12:13 PM)

rickerbr wrote:

Was the why am I upside down rule applied in this case?

It was definitely done for the race - busted the LR wheel off at the axle and bent the RF strut/control arm in pretty good...

Not sure about the season ban.

Proudly pissing off Pick 'n Pull employees since 1991
Team The Homer

1981 Ford Fairmont Durango

Hmmm... once again the incredibly detailed description of a wreck, delivered by one of the protagonists in the Penalty Box, bears little resemblance to what actually happened.

Note to self: Don't believe anyone, ever.

A friend of mine once said "I never trust my memory of on track events unless I see the video.  All the important details are usually wrong: where, when, who and how..."

I think he's right.  Hell, I wasn't even involved and a minute later in trying to describe it to my crew on the radio, the only part that was accurate was the HOLY SHIT that you hear on the video.

Dean

13 (edited by riu 2010-05-10 02:13 PM)

i'd be lying if i said i was on the ideal line and that I was totally planted.

i followed the F'ed Up cars line as close as i could but different cars handle it differently, on top of it all, i don't think I've seen anyone ever take turn 8 and not have to track out wide at exit with that off camber angle. I really thought that the Mercedes saw me and was backing off considerably.

it did get a tad bit loose at the apex with the slight off camber nature of the corner, if i had a few more inches then there would be no contact whatsoever.

In hind sight I probably should have just waited for another opportunity to pass.

Its a racing incident and I don't blame them at all, it's really no ones fault in my eyes, so don't bother blaming them or me, we were just two parties involved. at least it was only one car lost and not two.

If I don't show up as a spectator at some events this season, then I'll see you guys next season. It was definitely fun!

Just glad you're OK.  It looked like a very hard hit to me.

15 (edited by riu 2010-05-10 10:59 PM)

yeah it was a pretty hard tumble. i'm pretty sore right now but nothing serious.

I'm just waiting to see some footage or photos of me mid air!

16 (edited by skuhtz 2010-05-10 07:54 PM)

Hey Dean!  Looks like you have a habit of being behind a rollover!   This is my team (Big Sausage Pizza) at Buttonwillow being followed/chased...ok really just being hunted by the same scary fast Volvo and dtfastbear. I was bummed to see what happened at the end of the race.... I was cheering for you guys (because we were not there!). 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApaSPCJFPk4

I'd like to believe that this is just correlation and not causation... smile

Here's how our race ended.  Brutal.  13 lap lead with 45 minutes to go.

http://www.vimeo.com/11657047

dtfastbear wrote:

time for a roller rocker motor...

Hmmm... Maybe throwing the Mercedes-Benz out of the race (after we let them go back out and they slammed into another car) was the wrong thing to do.

Or not.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

riu wrote:

I really thought that the Mercedes saw me and was backing off considerably.

This is why you were upside down.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

skuhtz wrote:

Hey Dean!  Looks like you have a habit of being behind a rollover!   This is my team (Big Sausage Pizza) at Buttonwillow being followed/chased...ok really just being hunted by the same scary fast Volvo and dtfastbear. I was bummed to see what happened at the end of the race.... I was cheering for you guys (because we were not there!). 

Where were you guys?  I saw your car getting trailered on my way home on Monday.

#117 - The Fat And The Furious Big Boy Miata & Big Boy Metro-Gnome

22 (edited by skuhtz 2010-05-11 01:18 PM)

calpolo17 wrote:
skuhtz wrote:

Where were you guys?  I saw your car getting trailered on my way home on Monday.

That is funny-  The whole team was stuck celebrating mother's day.  We were all bummed not to be there.  The car was heading up to Napa for some TLC for the next race.

dtfastbear wrote:

Ha!  I don't think you had anything to do with it.  Always fun to watch video. 

Question-  What in car system do you have that gives the radio chatter on both sides?  That makes the video! 

13 laps with 45mins to go?  You almost didn't need to run the last 45min.  I am sure you already thought about that.... and thought .... and thought..................

Oh that sound..... that will make you sick.  Sorry it went down that way.  sad

For radio, try putting a second radio in the car and run the headphone output into your video recorder. You probably have to use a resistor divider to drop the voltage to line-in levels, and you might need to adjust the radio's volume level to get the best results. But this will give you both sides of the conversation. If you also want to record motor and track sounds, run the mic inputs in one audio channel (i.e. left) and the radio in the other (right). In editing you can probably find a way to mix the left and right channels to get the result you want.

We did this for the 928 at Infineon and other than having the radio levels too high it worked well.

m610 wrote:

For radio, try putting a second radio in the car and run the headphone output into your video recorder. You probably have to use a resistor divider to drop the voltage to line-in levels, and you might need to adjust the radio's volume level to get the best results. But this will give you both sides of the conversation. If you also want to record motor and track sounds, run the mic inputs in one audio channel (i.e. left) and the radio in the other (right). In editing you can probably find a way to mix the left and right channels to get the result you want.

We did this for the 928 at Infineon and other than having the radio levels too high it worked well.

I will pass this on to my tech guy!  I am great at buying shit, but bad at actually hooking it up.  Thanks, Steve