Topic: A question about Solo cage design...

The standard cage design has been laid out time and time again but one of the guys we have helping to "engineer" the Stig's ride specializes in Pro-Mod and Funny-Car... My question is that if/when the Beam is utilized can this cage design with down legs leading to the passenger side be utilized?

http://www.jd2chassis.com/nostfcchassis/img/newcage.jpg

We are hoping for a solo-cage to protect the driver and not look so... bulky like a standard two seater cage.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Re: A question about Solo cage design...

I'd actually be pretty interested in finding out the tech inspectors' thoughts on this as well.  I have an idea for a car which will simply look horribly out of place with a full-width/traditional cage.  I saw that Ecurie Ecrappe ran an different/modified cage at Thunderhill this past weekend than they have in the past.  The braced main hoop that they added is pretty similar to what I'm envisioning for my proposed build.

I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead, and the rest are bourbon. The drink packs a wallop and I pack a revolver.

Riktor wrote:

The standard cage design has been laid out time and time again but one of the guys we have helping to "engineer" the Stig's ride specializes in Pro-Mod and Funny-Car... My question is that if/when the Beam is utilized can this cage design with down legs leading to the passenger side be utilized?

http://www.jd2chassis.com/nostfcchassis/img/newcage.jpg

We are hoping for a solo-cage to protect the driver and not look so... bulky like a standard two seater cage.

My understanding is no..

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

This is the exact question I am looking for an answer to. Is there an official answer???

Cage needs to be full width...    We've sent cars home with half width cages...

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I see a pattern here with cage questions. I am all for people who want to "think outside the box" but what they need to realize is that the cage guidelines are put in place for insurance and liability reasons as much as anything else.  While your cage design might be far better in theory than the standard cage, the insurance company does not see it that way. You don't see any road racing cars with a "funny car" style cage, I am sure there is a good reason for that (although I can't say for sure what that reason is).

All great moments start with the phrase "hey man, hold my beer"
http://dumbshitswithabeater.blogspot.com/

A half-width cage doesn't attach to good structural points in the middle of the car.  A good rollover or t-bone will crumple the passenger side and put a LOT of stress on the center mounting points.  The only things I've seen cages like that in are funny cars, which have a full tubular chassis, or tractor pullers, which have much stouter floorpans than most cars.  You want your cage to maintain the structural integrity of the whole chassis, not just a small part around the driver.

If you could build a full driver cell that includes bars under the driver it would probably be better, but no insurance company is going to buy an untried cage design.  Short of buying your own insurance and proving that your cage is safe by doing finite element analysis, I don't see something that departs from traditional cage design working.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again