Topic: Thanks to the Mystery Machine for PillarCam™ mounting

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/05/gruppeb-prickstine-800px.jpg

The PillarCam™ timelapse camera got some great shots at Thunderhill, thanks to its mounting location on the ideal camera vehicle: the Mystery Machine Turbo Voyager.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/05/mysterymachineplowsit-800px.jpg

In spite of the MM's frequent Penalty Box visits (thanks to Head-On Photos for capturing one of the van's many off-road adventures in the photo, above), the team found a way to deal with their engine's newfound horsepower and ran fairly clean for most of Sunday... until they threw a rod.

Re: Thanks to the Mystery Machine for PillarCam™ mounting

Prickstine was so epic! I loved how they ran with their lights on.

Great work on the theme guys!

And Phil, more pics!

Yes! Must have more pics.

:stands and applauds:

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

sweet, i can't wait to see the rest of the gallery

Who won OC?

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/jalopnik/2010/05/tigerontrack2-800px.jpg

Organizer's Choice winner: The Cannonball Bandits. Two OC awards in a row for them.

Judge Phil wrote:

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/j … -800px.jpg

Organizer's Choice winner: The Cannonball Bandits. Two OC awards in a row for them.

Man, I'm so bummed I had to sit this race out, but that picture makes me hella proud of my team.

Way to go guys!

POSRacing wrote:

Prickstine was so epic! I loved how they ran with their lights on.

Great work on the theme guys!

For some reason the headlight fuse would pop instantly when using the factory headlight switch (which we had previously removed), so wiring them up manually was the very last thing I did before loading the car up on the trailer. They are now activated by a switch mounted in a piece of plastic poop mounted on the dash (watch the movie and you'll understand why). I'm glad they got noticed, and thanks for the props on the theme.

I replaced the inner high beams with low beams and thought I adjusted them low enough, but they still looked pretty damn bright from the sidelines. Hope we didn't blind anyone!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

The pictures look great! We figured you'd get some nice shots from back there, since the whole field comes by us so frequently. :-)

What does the PillarCam consist of?  I'd love to run something like that on our car.

Cobra Kai (1994 Volvo 940)

dinomite wrote:

What does the PillarCam consist of?  I'd love to run something like that on our car.

To make a PillarCam:
1) Get a cheap Cannon digital point and shoot.
2) Get CHDK (http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK) and set it up to take pics at 15 - 30 sec intervals.
3) Turn off your display screen to preserve battery life.
4) Mount a thin but strong and flexible piece of metal on the C-pillar of your crapcan, preferably on the side that will be on the inside of the track.  Drill a hole in your bracket to place a screw through.
5) Mount camera on bracket.
6) Turn camera on at race start, start the time delay photos and viola!  PillarCam is in the house.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I just picked up a used GoPro camera. ( $50 )
It is already set up for this.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

I just picked up a used GoPro camera. ( $50 )
It is already set up for this.

KT

Yeah, but that's cheating!  wink

And the 'real' PillarCam is put together per my post, we've had it mounted on our car for the last three races... which is awesome!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.