Topic: Glass windshield or Lexan

So we would love to just put another glass windshield in the car, but for $120+ and the fact that we've cracked ours twice (once in two races) we are considering Lexan. Is it legal or has anyone just got a peice of the 1/8th inch lexan from Lowes or The Home Depot and made a screw in style winshield that just covers the drivers side or about 3/4 of the drivers side? For about $60 we can get a 36x48 peice of Lexan that we can make about two of these half winshields out of....

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Re: Glass windshield or Lexan

After racing in an-inch-an-hour rainfall I can't imagine not having a real windshield with real working wipers.

Drat! And Double Drat!

June in TX. About a %.0000001 chance of rain.

Shake and Bake

We run the wire dirt track windshield (screen?) with 1/2" openings. It gets weight off the car, and it is way cheap. We duct-taped the sharp edges and fastened it with self tapping screws and fender washers to keep it classy looking....

jw33 wrote:

June in TX. About a %.0000001 chance of rain.

Don't forget the chance of tornados.........

I run Lexan on our car. It's great. Glass is the best option optically, but it also weighs a ton. I got a piece of coated Lexan that's not supposed to scratch as easily as uncoated Lexan. So far it hasn't, but we haven't had to run the wipers on it either.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

So is it cool to just make a windshield out of Lexan that covers only where the drivers sits or lik 2/3 or the total windshield area? The hatchback of our car is gone so the air will just pass through with no issues.

Shake and Bake

You can run with even less than that:

http://tarpblog.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/pk-gingerman.jpg

That's our TARP North car at the Gingerman race. You can see that the Lexan on the front of that car is only about 6" tall, maybe 9". It's basically just enough to push the wind almost over the driver. Shorter drivers completely, taller drivers not quite enough. It's passed tech twice now. Despite the problems that come with that setup (wind buffeting at high speed and increased driver fatigue, rain in your face), it is kind of fun to drive it open-cockpit.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Great. 2/3rds Lexan windshield here we come.....

Shake and Bake

We broke our glass windshield after BS tech when a driver put his ass through it for a picture.  Replaced with Home Depot lexan, and ran all weekend.  Actually thought it held up pretty good!

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza