1 (edited by Brent Picasso 2010-05-12 04:24 PM)

Topic: anyone catch flames from our "XR3Ti" ?

As I took green flag on Sunday I kept hearing reports on the radio on how we were consistently shooting flames out our exhaust! Anyone catch a pic or video of that !?!

not sure what was causing that- perhaps our disabled 3rd cylinder was getting fueled indirectly from the other runners.  still, I love flames! Need to find a way to get those enabled permanently smile

Brent Picasso

Re: anyone catch flames from our "XR3Ti" ?

If the camera on the Peugeot was still working when I was running on Sunday it let out a good pop coming down from the Eagle's Nest that should have been captured on our camera. Problem is Sean's been too busy at work since we've been back to review the footage but I'm sure that he'll make sure that you get the footage of your car.

3 (edited by dinomite 2010-05-16 09:29 PM)

Finally getting to my track pictures and found this:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3360/4613934583_dd1e4e05be.jpg

Cobra Kai (1994 Volvo 940)

woo hoo! Thanks! Now I can die a happy man smile

Brent Picasso

I have a friend who was shooting at the race and spent a good bit of time trying to get the flame burp.  I think he ended up with one or two really good shots (better than mind); I'll update when he gets those edited and onto the intertubes.

Cobra Kai (1994 Volvo 940)

I spent quite a while in the Turn 11 flag station, camera at the ready, trying to capture the fire-spitting Merkur doing its thing. Never caught it.

Catching exhaust flames is not an easy thing to do. I couldn't tell you how many times I've tried. I still have never gotten a good shot. (Even with days where I have shot over 1000 pics, not a one.) Its almost as hard as shooting lightning.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)
1969 Datsun 2000 (race car, current daily driver)

Would it be legal to add a spare fuel injector that injects directly into the exhaust?

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

True, flames are elusive to catch. Clearly grabbing flames from video would be the best option.

Wow.. fantasizing about long, lurid flames for next race smile Need to add that to checklist for August!

Brent

Brent Picasso

http://www.flamekitz.com/

If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape.
If it should move and doesn't, use WD-40.
If those don't work, its BROKE!

You just need a very free flowing exhaust, and a cam(s) with lots of overlap. My real track car tends to blow a beach ball sized blue flame on decel fairly often. It however has carbs and pretty much an open exhaust (with some cracks in the header) and not much in the way of a muffler. It pops and crackles off throttle all the time.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)
1969 Datsun 2000 (race car, current daily driver)