Topic: Thoughts on doing a Datsun Roadster

There are a few of us who have been kicking the idea of building a Datsun Roadster up. To my knowledge, no one has done one yet. It could be a bit of a crap shoot as to getting it to finish. The R16 engine is pretty much bomb proof, but lacks power (totally gutless in fact.) The U20 is a fantastic, motor, but it does have its limitations, mostly the fact that when they let go, its a very expensive fix. They handle very well once you learn how to drive one, they stop well, but doing a fast brake job on the front is pretty much not going to happen.

What are the odds we could get a semi exemption like the Zs get? There are no after market parts for these, aside from a set of headers and wheels.

Let me know what you guys think. I'd be down to try and get my personal one in, but it would have a HUGE BS factor even though its rusty, primered, and the book of receipts puts it at about $25k.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)
1969 Datsun 2000 (race car, current daily driver)

Re: Thoughts on doing a Datsun Roadster

The judges would be much happier if you found a beat up one and put a Slant Six in it!

( don't forget the claiming rule )

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1738176888.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/1730257882.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/1729167627.html

Anyone of these would do.
Sell off unneeded parts to get it below $500!!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

just remember how dang small it is, and what that means in a wreck.... pulped body parts!. My buddy has one, and its cool, but I don't think I'd want to run it in the Lemons crowd! (SCCA Prod maybe)

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

With a full cage, it wouldn't be bad. I was looking at those same cars this afternoon. I was thinking more along the lines of the Ecuri Ecrapie Alfa Spider. I might be able to score one like that for free some place. I have a friend in San Diego who was interested in doing it, another friend in San Jose who might be as well. At this point I doubt anything will happen, but it could.

I didn't think the driving was all that bad at Thunderhill. Yes there was contact, but not much. The other guys who are/might be interested all have lots of vintage racing experience, one raced Formula Ford, and is building a F5000 car. I'm sure someone else with real race experience could be talked into it as well.

A slant 6 is just a big brick, and likely won't fit anyway. I've seen one with an L24 in it, but it was slower with that than it was with a U20. The idea isn't to build something that handles worse than it does stock. With a slant 6 up front the weight balance will be all wrong. Perhaps a KA24 out of a 240sx (but its modern.)

The car is small, but being small does have its advantages. It fits where others don't, and it doesn't carry out through corners like heavier cars. The frames on them are very robust, and with a proper cage, one could roll it many times and likely walk away from it. The center of gravity is so low that they generally will just slide/spin however. (Obviously if you hit an obstruction while sliding you could end up on your head.)

Like I said, at this point its all talk, and likely nothing will come of it because I certainly don't have the $ to fund the project. I was just fishing at this point.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

1959 Alfa Giuletta 101.02 Sprint (huge project) 1969 Alfa 105.51 GTV (daily driver, now dead)

I've seen retro modded roadster with modern Nissan 4 cylinders.

It's feasible and probably within the budget too.

Racing a car that old requires restoration type work plus the typical build work.

I made and install new floors and frame rails into the 240Z.

Cage attachment points often times needed to rust repair as well as reinforcement.

I don't think guys running late 80's and early 90's cars have had to do that kind of work.  At least it's not common down here in the Gulf coast area.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I like the roadser idea.

It will be alot of work, as any of these old geezers are.

Take a four banger/trans out of a datsun/nissan pickup

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

How about an RX-7 motor for it? Plenty of par ts....and small enough!

Does either of the KA variants fit? They are torquey, slow, and reliable. They also fit in 510s plenty easy and have solid transmissions. Hell, get one out of a D21 hardbody pickup or a 240SX, they are nearly identical and you get your choice of jacking the transmission mountings with the truck one.

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

I'm not seeing any suitably unreliable suggestions yet.  You obviously need to do a bike engine swap if you want it to go fast and blow up spectacularly...

Ralph Nader wrote:

just remember how dang small it is, and what that means in a wreck.... pulped body parts!. My buddy has one, and its cool, but I don't think I'd want to run it in the Lemons crowd! (SCCA Prod maybe)

Seriously? Oh come on now.

"Dang Small"... as in MR2, Yugo, Miata, Honda 600, Geo Metro, Le Car, MGB, TR6, Karmann Ghia, VW Bug, CRX, Metropolitan, Civic, Rabbit, body-less BMW etc... because you know how horribly un-nimble and un-safe these cars are, and of course lightness being the bane of racers AROUND-THE-WORLD. Yes, the heavier the better for ramming and crushing the competition, Mr Black Flag. Because nimble has never-ever done well.

Or is the problem for you that Lemons does not put enough emphasis on safety in case of a crash or rollover i.e. Killer Bee, V8 Volvo, Roach Racing, faster Farms, Yugo-rollo or Rice rocket racing? Any car can crash. The bigger the car, the bigger the crash. And arguably even more probable due to the law of Big-Bully-Billy.

Pulped body parts indeed, Chicken Little. Here's a race car that stays pretty safe and comes with big fluffy pillows. Makes neat race car sounds too! big_smile "Rooom-room!"

http://www.yourlittlesweetpea.com/images/MyNewCar_bedding.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

A KA24 will fit in the car, but finding a healthy one could be difficult. Its pretty commonly done. To be honest, I'd rather run a U20, but I know how much they cost to rebuild. They are fantastic motors, and will take some abuse without coming unglued if they start out healthy. (Trust me, its taken 60,000 miles of abuse to make mine unhappy with more trips beyond redline than I can count. Its not broken yet, but a faulty lower timing chain dictates that its getting a good once over when I get around to pulling it out.)

The trick would be finding a good shell with a good brake master cylinder ($450 new) and solid front suspension ($400 per lower ball joint, the uppers are about the same.) I know they can be fast, I've done a 2:05 at Sears Point on a set of 4 year old race tires, and a friend of mine runs 1:48s at Laguna with less engine than I have (I've never run mine there, it won't pass the sound restrictions.)

A KA24 would give it enough torque and power that long straights wouldn't be an issue, however the fact that it requires an ECU and all the associated mess makes it less appealing to me. (Besides, modern engines don't belong in vintage cars. If it doesn't look like it belongs, it doesn't belong in the car.) A 13b would sort of fit, but they sound horrid. I think the sound alone would make me want to stop racing the car and do something else. Also putting the power to the ground is an issue. Driving my personal car on the street is semi scary as I can light the back end up with very little trouble (makes for a pretty good drift car however.)

I'd love to do one, but I'd want to know if the judges would be lenient on our spending since the parts are stupid expensive.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

As the aforementioned buddy, I too would like to do a Roadster Lemon car.

My roadster has a healthy SR20DET motor.   The standard SR20 is nearly a bolt in and the tranny fits without any modification.  Spriso motorsports makes motor mounts for this engine.

So, here's the shell....

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/1764613388.html

And the engine.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/pts/1763977302.html

Ok...I'm in! smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!"
Former Captain, Team Lebowski

OhioMark wrote:

How about an RX-7 motor for it? Plenty of par ts....and small enough!

Spriso has also modded an 80's vintage RX-7 rear end with their LSD for the roadster..

Overkill, yes.  Fun, absolutely.

"Don't mess with Lexas!"

A 13b would sort of fit, but they sound horrid.

'Cause it's all about the sound. I personally like the sound of unmuffled rotaries. Especially when they can hit 10,000 rpm.

Why not nab an old Nap-Z motor - the eight plug motor out of the trucks. They can be built plenty quick and they're bulletproof (except for the head gasket leaking between #2 & #3). You can overheat them and keep on driving until the distributor cap melts off.

12A FTW.     We are currently building a rotary SPL311 at the shop.  We are almost there...   As with all rotary conversions, the exhaust is a bitch...     

Clint or I will post pics....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I'm all about rotary Lemons, but also keep in mind single cam KA's (KA24E) are free/worthless to the drifter kids.  find a 240sx forum and post up asking for one.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

18 (edited by Spinnetti 2010-06-01 08:59 AM)

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
Ralph Nader wrote:

Seriously? Oh come on now.

"Dang Small"... as in MR2, Yugo, Miata, Honda 600, Geo Metro, Le Car, MGB, TR6, Karmann Ghia, VW Bug, CRX, Metropolitan, Civic, Rabbit, body-less BMW etc... because you know how horribly un-nimble and un-safe these cars are, and of course lightness being the bane of racers AROUND-THE-WORLD. Yes, the heavier the better for ramming and crushing the competition, Mr Black Flag. Because nimble has never-ever done well.

Or is the problem for you that Lemons does not put enough emphasis on safety in case of a crash or rollover i.e. Killer Bee, V8 Volvo, Roach Racing, faster Farms, Yugo-rollo or Rice rocket racing? Any car can crash. The bigger the car, the bigger the crash. And arguably even more probable due to the law of Big-Bully-Billy.

Pulped body parts indeed, Chicken Little. Here's a race car that stays pretty safe and comes with big fluffy pillows. Makes neat race car sounds too! big_smile "Rooom-room!"

http://www.yourlittlesweetpea.com/image … edding.jpg

lol.. I've had 30 cars, 25 of them small ones, including 2 MR2's, road race a Corolla GT-S in IT/A,  and had a uber rare, uber tiny Toyota S800 (always wanted a Honda 600 too)... Trust me, I know small cars... also nearly got killed in one last fall (Sentra). If that had been the Datsoon or my S800, I'd be dead now... I'll have a moment of silence for your funeral... Just sayin.... PS, my new 9000lb mega beast will beat your tiny car in the corners and the straights.. see you at the track smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Picture of the SR20DET wedged in my roadster.  I have a lot of cleanup work to do smile

http://www.thecrawfords.org/engine.jpg

"Don't mess with Lexas!"

computergui wrote:

Picture of the SR20DET wedged in my roadster.  I have a lot of cleanup work to do smile

The dood abrades wink

Hey, when we getting some proper Panasports on that thing?
Will Captains chairs fit? (to match the center console) wink

Spinnetti wrote:
computergui wrote:

Hey, when we getting some proper Panasports on that thing?
Will Captains chairs fit? (to match the center console) wink

The CFO of Team Lebowski insists my disposable income goes to Lemons, or Panasports, not both.

So..soon, very soon smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!"

So how much hp are you putting to the wheels with an SR20DET? How little traction do you have? Even with 225/50/14 R compounds and a locker rear end, my U20 roasts the tires at will out of every corner in 2nd and out of some in 3rd (such as 2,7, and 11 at Sears Point) and thats still is street tune. If you have some secret to getting the back end to stick please let me know. Right now, I have a really good drift car. It really fun to drive, but not real fast around an autoX course (too much time sideways, not enough time going forward. Always a crowd pleaser however wink)

I hate to say it, but few things make me more sick than seeing modern engines in a Roadster. There is absolutely no point or reason. Its not cheaper, its not more reliable, it just screws up another car. Heck, if I had the $, I'd buy someones nice looking swapper mobile and strip the thing for all its worth, use the body on my track car and the frame for a Lemons car since odds are its hacked up (especially with a SR20 in it.) On top of that the electrical wiring to make the engine work is too much b.s. I like simple stupid, easy to work on and fast.

As for using a rotary, only if its a 4 rotor. A 12A or 13b just sounds like crap. I don't care if it will turn 10K, I don't want to hear it.   

I'd rather keep carbs on the thing since fuel infection (no thats not a typo) is a giant hassle. (Back to the electrical that shouldn't be there.)

KAs and Miata engines can be done so they don't require cutting up the frame, L series or NAPS Z engines sit too tall and have to be set way over on their sides (and make less power then a U20 to start with.) Not a big fan of the KA for really any reason, I'd rather do a ghetto charged Miata engine (lighter, fits better.)

Now, an Alfa 2L with a Miata head grafted on with a set of carbs could be really different. (And wrong in so many ways.) The Miata head will slip about half way down the head studs on an Alfa engine, the trick is converting the Miata head to use timing chains, and getting the coolant passages to line up. Just to top the madness off, ghetto charge it. smile What could possibly go wrong with that mess?

As for being small and so called slow, I've caught Lambos, 500 hp Mustangs and other assorted fast stuff on the track. Unless you are out to play bumper cars (and the looks of your car whether it be covered in dents, or with cones, chickens, or rabbits welded to the top of it will tell me to steer clear of you because you can't drive) there won't be an issue.

Will

Filthy Faux Porsche 935

23 (edited by Jer 2010-06-03 05:12 AM)

Will, you don't sound like a bonafide Lemons racer.  Your whole post is blasphemy!  big_smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

AnotherFilthyDriver wrote:

So how much hp are you putting to the wheels with an SR20DET? How little traction do you have? Even with 225/50/14 R compounds and a locker rear end, my U20 roasts the tires at will out of every corner in 2nd and out of some in 3rd (such as 2,7, and 11 at Sears Point) and thats still is street tune. If you have some secret to getting the back end to stick please let me know. Right now, I have a really good drift car. It really fun to drive, but not real fast around an autoX course (too much time sideways, not enough time going forward. Always a crowd pleaser however wink)

I hate to say it, but few things make me more sick than seeing modern engines in a Roadster. There is absolutely no point or reason. Its not cheaper, its not more reliable, it just screws up another car. Heck, if I had the $, I'd buy someones nice looking swapper mobile and strip the thing for all its worth, use the body on my track car and the frame for a Lemons car since odds are its hacked up (especially with a SR20 in it.) On top of that the electrical wiring to make the engine work is too much b.s. I like simple stupid, easy to work on and fast.

As for using a rotary, only if its a 4 rotor. A 12A or 13b just sounds like crap. I don't care if it will turn 10K, I don't want to hear it.   

I'd rather keep carbs on the thing since fuel infection (no thats not a typo) is a giant hassle. (Back to the electrical that shouldn't be there.)

KAs and Miata engines can be done so they don't require cutting up the frame, L series or NAPS Z engines sit too tall and have to be set way over on their sides (and make less power then a U20 to start with.) Not a big fan of the KA for really any reason, I'd rather do a ghetto charged Miata engine (lighter, fits better.)

Now, an Alfa 2L with a Miata head grafted on with a set of carbs could be really different. (And wrong in so many ways.) The Miata head will slip about half way down the head studs on an Alfa engine, the trick is converting the Miata head to use timing chains, and getting the coolant passages to line up. Just to top the madness off, ghetto charge it. smile What could possibly go wrong with that mess?

As for being small and so called slow, I've caught Lambos, 500 hp Mustangs and other assorted fast stuff on the track. Unless you are out to play bumper cars (and the looks of your car whether it be covered in dents, or with cones, chickens, or rabbits welded to the top of it will tell me to steer clear of you because you can't drive) there won't be an issue.

Will

Not sure on the hp, but I can light em up through 4th gear.   

Yes, it's more power than that little chassis can handle, but the car is surprisingly nimble and well balanced.  Sure, if I push it I can get the back end to seriously step out, but it's not uncontrollable.

It's just a flat out hoot to drive, and why I wanted the engine/car combo to begin with.  Lots of folks get evangelical about originality on cars.  I'm not one of em.  To each their own I guess.  I only had to get the approval of one driver, and he absolutely loves it!

"Don't mess with Lexas!"

AnotherFilthyDriver wrote:

Will

I've ridden in a bone stock metro as we passed a c6 Corvette at a track day, yet I'm not stupid enough to try to play a stock metro off as fast.

Idiot drivers in expensive cars does not make your car fast.  Don't try to convince us how fast you think it is, or that like any stock miata/240sx/other underpowered RWD vehicle that lighting up the rear tires in 2nd/3rd gear coming off of a corner requires any/much power, especially in a 1600lb car.

Not trying to flame, but posts like yours on a road-racing forum just come across as wannabe9000 status.  However I will offer a pro tip.

Pro Tip:
   The accellerator pedal has "linear" control, meaning it is not an on/off switch.  If you treat it as so coming out of a corner, even a purpose built drift car can and does hook up.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.