Topic: Going For Broken '10 Porsches

I don't think there were ever so many Porsches. How many? Maybe 3x 914, 3x 924, 3x 944? Nice work guys. How'd you all do? Who would have won the Porsche cup they should have had?

Re: Going For Broken '10 Porsches

I want to run a Porsche in Lemons.
It would have to have a motor swap, though.

A "$500 Porsche", with a Porsche motor usually leads to disaster or penalty laps.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

trekkor wrote:

A "$500 Porsche", with a Porsche motor usually leads to disaster or penalty laps.

KT

Ummm...no comment

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The Double FARTINIS came in 20th with the "reliable" 924S.  Our biggest problem was a fuel tank cap/filler tube problem.  That cost us close to an hour.  The S has now completed 6 races, finishing in the top 20% in 4 and top 25% in the other 2.
The 924 Turbo was consistant - its broken down in the both races started.  Clutch at Sears and engine at THill.

Let's keep them those Porsches running.

My impression, from the far end of the pits, was that all of the Porsches were dieing on Saturday or early Sunday. The team that left on Saturday has all but committed to putting a small-block Ford V8 in it for the next race.

I missed not seeing, and hearing, the 928 at this race.

trekkor wrote:

KT

Or both.  At Arse-Freeze last November we spent 10 hours in the pits, after getting penalty laps on our 1979 924, which had been parked for 25 years and salvaged titled in 1984.

At Goin' For Broken we managed to get 0 penalty laps, and only spent 3 hours doing repairs.  Of course, one could argue we have an Audi motor, not a Porsche motor anyway.

-Barry
Rooster Juice Racing

trekkor wrote:

KT

914's 924's and 944's all have VW/Audi motors technically.... well at least the ones that are beat/cheap enough to end up in Lemons.  wink

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

I respectfully disagree.  The 944 engine is all porsche.  It is essentially the 928 V8 sawed in half down the middle.

Which explains why it is simultaneously so wonderful & horrible.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:

I respectfully disagree.  The 944 engine is all porsche.  It is essentially the 928 V8 sawed in half down the middle.

you're right.. i stand corrected

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Did anybody else notice that two of the 924s at Goin' For Broken had one of their headlights taped in the closed position?  I found that pretty funny.  Our headlamps had been sticky since we got the car, but after somebody pushed the car off at turn one they started moving freely, and our left one started flipping open on the straights. 

-Barry
Rooster Juice Racing

FJ40Jim wrote:

I'd say its an advantage for the 924 to NOT have the 928-944 style engine...since they have a well documented habit for eating rod bearings!!!! 

Sure the old 2.0L is really underpowered...but its far better than a ventilated block!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2