Re: Why isn't Lemons on TV?

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I am NOT for putting us schmucks on TV.  It would ruin our sport.  That said, who said anything about a reality show?  We don't need another Pinks, Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars, or Swamp Loggers.  What we need is more real racing coverage like what Speed VISION and the old Nashville Network used to air.  Australian Jet Boats, British/German/Australian Touring Car Racing and even Swamp Buggy Racing were great.  Racing and "reality" TV should not be mixed.

That is what I think as well. Its why TrackGeeks worked to bring the entire race at CMP to people interested via that only method that is affordable to us, the internet. That isn't going to be something viable to broadcast TV due to the cost of blocking that much airtime.

We hope in the future to show more of what is happening behind the fence during the race with the broken cars and penalties. That is if we can get enough volunteers to help us with cameras.

Even with the simple webcast that we do it costs several thousand dollars that we pay out of our pocket to show the race.

The budget for the reality show is more than $10k a day for the 6 person team and gear. We could do a seriously good show with that kind of budget! wink

chicagozer wrote:

Calling Mike Rowe...

I think this would be the best place for it, to be honest.  What's dirtier than a Lemons car anyway?

That, or some sort of quickie like a Junkyard Mega Wars kind of show.

PBS always is begging for stuff to make people watch and donate to keep them on-air. I wouldn't want us being "produced" by some hollywood hack. Deal it out in small doses on a cult-underground slot a la wayne's world style with trackgeeks/jay/nick/guest Lemons racer directing and rotate it per show/team/season and we could wind up with some serious gold without the overhyped drive that corrupts the original concept (see american chopper)

icemang17 wrote:

the car mags have all attended and some still race....we have our own "press" types that are still active....

I personally think its PERFECT for a Top Gear "challenge"....they all come here with $500 and find a crap can...then build it and race it....what could possibly go wrong...  Clarkson would get some V8 monster motor thing I'd guess yank tank, Capt Slow would get an econobox (and probably win) and Hammond would get something tiny....mini cooper maybe...I think it would make a great top gear episode.....perfect for their antics

instead of having them build one, invite them onto an existing team (one that has a good chance of finishing well like the 928), with each one on a different team.

I would love to watch a "reality show" of the paddock during a race.  That's where the magic of Lemons happens and then you wouldn't have to worry about people getting all friendly with the cameras since they would only be there for race weekend.

Somebody buy me a few nice video cameras and a book of plane tickets and I'll make it happen and find some other suckers to help me.

Team Merikuh
Omaha '10 wussed out, lost too many drivers sad
"Simplify, then add Awesome"

There is a show on the speed channel that would be perfect to show Lemons.  Its called "Lucas oil's On The Edge"

You're confusing Lucas electrics and Lucas Oil.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

????????

EyeMWing wrote:

Either would fit, a good Lemons car always needs less of one and more of the other smile

Amateur Welder, Professional Grinder

No seriously, what could go wrong?

Everybody has already covered why Fox, er, Speed, is unlikely to do this. Y'all turn in the wrong directions sometimes, and none of you are sponsored by maxipads or a popular watery beer product. So that leaves the DIY route. You're all DIY folks, right?

Having recently been involved with a motorsports event that we wanted to televise, I can tell you what the only realistic route is to make this happen.

1. Spend a bunch of your own money to produce it.
2. Pay to have it aired.
3. Split commercial revenues with the TV channel.

The channels will tell you how much commercial time per hour you have to allow for (as a minimum requirement). You will be encouraged to find your own advertisers, for obvious reasons. You get to keep more of the money that way. If they have to find the advertisers, you'll be lucky if you break even.

The easiest channels to work with are Versus, HDTheater, and the other new guys that are big enough to still have national reach. I don't remember the pricing off hand, but I want to say Versus wanted something like $30,000 for a one-hour slot at a reasonably decent time of day, and it would be shown X times during the next Y months, etc.

Oh yeah, and there is a fairly large lead time. It was something like four months from completion to air date.

It's a giant pain in the Nomex.

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering

I just take the videos I create, the one's I've put real effort into editing and shooting, and get it shown on the local cable channel. Hard;y anyone sees it, but it is fun, and these channels do share/trade content across the country, so you might see one in your area someday.

Lemons on TV could be fun, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the actual racing and screw up the budding paddock culture.

Isn't there an alternative to SpeedTV some guy is trying to put together?

I bet you could maybe get HDNet to bite on something like this. Lord knows they have plenty of airtime to fill and not enough content. I think I saw them airing some Spec Pinata races last weekend along with Star Mazda, which is basically 15 year olds in open wheel cars. It was a field of like 12 cars. Yawn. We're tons more interesting than that. Well, I'm not, but the rest of you guys are.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

38 (edited by the head 2010-06-29 01:22 PM)

if being on TV would make me famous enough to justify my sex addiction and my multiple trips to rehab I am all for it.

I am like the Lemons version of Charlie Sheen

Formerly an asshole driving an Infinity
Now just another cock with a Porsche
Chief bad decision maker of Team Lowbrau

I say soap opera, As The Wrench Turns.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Paddock Place

There was a show call like Carapocalypese it was a a crazy demo derby with themes every week.

I think real tv channels kill sports.  Desert racing is covered but only the parts people pay for  I remember GT Bicycles paid like $30k for 1 minute of camera helicopter above them.

I let Good Morning America use one of my cars .

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/story … amp;page=1

I think TOP GEAR would be great in Lemons just think of the crazy shit the producers and Judges  would do to everyone.

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

42 (edited by AllYaGottaDoIs 2010-06-30 04:33 AM)

Ha, Carpocalypse was put on by Don Nerone, the guy who still runs the excellent Crash-O-Rama events. One of my companies has been working towards building a multi-venue motorsports facility and if we do a circle track, we're definitely running that psycho circus. Don's a good guy.

As for a SpeedTV alternative that m610 mentioned, there are ALWAYS proposals out there for this. Years ago I knew a car-loving cable TV mogul in TX and we talked about it briefly. Ballpark estimate to start one up was $30mm, and that was maybe 10 years ago, shortly after they went to their 80% NASCAR / 10% two-guys-in-a-fake-garage format. Fairly hefty investment, and that's before you figure out how to convince cable companies to carry two motorsports channels (god forbid they give up one of their 40 reserved NFL/NHL/NBA/MLB/Golf channels).

We are the red-headed stepchild of sports.

The Spanish Armada
'51 DeSoto, car #1539: Featuring authentic 16th century engineering