Topic: Glasses or contacts?

I need glasses to see, so I wear them under my helmet.  This weekend at CMP was my first time on the track, and it seems that getting my glasses situated takes an extra few minutes once I'm in the car.  Contacts would be much easier, but I'm afraid of my eyes drying out (due to not blinking) and having one get dislodged during the race.  I wear plastic lenses, but even so I'm afraid of having them break in an accident.

What do other myopic drivers do?

Is it time to consider lasik?

Re: Glasses or contacts?

Astronauts wear glasses during launch. Just sayin'.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

Somebody was rocking goggles -- they looked like prescription goggles.

"This is the scene where I get shot," Bronson said. "I have these little squibs that explode to make it look like bullets are hitting." "Fascinating," said Bergman. "I never knew how they did that." "You mean," asked Bronson, "you don't use machine guns in your movies?"

Akaishi wrote:

Astronauts wear glasses during launch. Just sayin'.

Part of what makes contacts work is that they have a weight on the bottom that keeps them correctly aligned on your eye.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

That's just bifocal contacts.  The normal ones are symmetrical.  I wear them for racing and have never really had an issue.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Contacts are great for comfort but take some getting used to if you wear glasses a lot. Personally, I won't race in glasses because I don't feel comfortable with my depth perception and they feel like $&#* in my helmet. Contacts + occasional rewetting drops (before and after your session would be best) is a win in my book.

Shallow Pockets Racing, aka the newbies in the BP-themed Golf
-Summit Point 2010, 29/86, 0 mechanical problems - "Are you sure it's a VW?"

I wear glasses.  I find it is easier to wear them over my balaclava (not on my ears).  The helmet holds them snug and it is far easier than trying to get them behind my ears.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

This is like asking somebody "what is my favorite food?"

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

I ran my first two races in contacts, and I had no problems with dryness.  They worked fine for me.

In the last few months, my eyes have  became extremely irritated when I wore them.  I wore glasses for a track day a week before Goin' for Broken, and then I wore glasses for the 3 hours that I spent in the car during the race.  My main issue is that I might fog up my glasses inside the visor, but I had no problems.  I'll be racing in my glasses from now on...

The Cannonball Bandits | Facebook Fan Page | Unununium Medal Winners 2010
3X Organizer's Choice Winner 2010 - Sears Pointless, Goin' For Broken, Arse Sweat-A-Palooza
1X Organizer's Choice Winner 2011 - Arse Sweat-A-Palooza

Get a prescription visor.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

My eyes got a little dry when I wore my contacts and glasses didn't seem comfortable under the helmet. Solution? Lasik.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

I use a prescription windshield.  It sucks for the other drivers, but works for me.

If you wear contacts, remember that they trap anything liquid against your eyeball, like gas, solvents, etc. Guess how I learned this. I got used to putting them in just before driving, but it can be hard to keep your hands clean at the track. Lasik worked great...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

I prefer to wear my contacts when I race but that is mainly because I lost my glasses at the Gingerman race this year.  I would rather have Lasik but that is kinda expensive.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Top-Fool- … 77?ref=sgm
#34 Save the Tatas Subaru Impreza
2010 Detroit Irony 32nd/Capital Offense 68th/Grand Bull 26th/Rod Blago "FIF"

Oh the Irony... and good marketing software...

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8956/ironyd.jpg

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

Ah .. so that would explain the "Date-a-Cougar" banner up there earlier this year?

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

YesIFit wrote:

Ah .. so that would explain the "Date-a-Cougar" banner up there earlier this year?

Most marketting software leaves ALOT to be desired but it tends to pick out certain repetative words... This is some of the better Ad-Ware I have seen.

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

yay Lasik

I have a set of RX safety glasses that Im planning on wearing in WPB... spent around $200 on them and they are freaking tough and fit great under a helmet. Ill have to check on the brand of the frames but there is some sort of special plastic for the lenses ill have to check into.

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Judge Jonny wrote:

Somebody was rocking goggles -- they looked like prescription goggles.

http://www.foundshit.com/pictures/dogs/harley-dog.jpg

DaveH wrote:

That's just bifocal contacts.  The normal ones are symmetrical.  I wear them for racing and have never really had an issue.

I have an astigmatism, and my lenses are weighted to properly align the contact to correct my vision.

Never seen bifocal contacts, doesn't seem like it would work, since they're attached to your eye, how would you change your depth of vision?

Personally, I prefer contacts.  I have clear peripheral vision (VERY important), it's more comfortable, and I don't have a problem with dry eyes.  Make sure to wear a sweat band or balaclava, otherwise the sweat in your eyes doesn't feel good at all and there's nothing you can do about it.