Re: Send me your tech failure pix!

fabtoys wrote:
OverkillRC wrote:
RobL wrote:

Look at it in relation to the steering wheel.  The bar looks like it is about even with the middle of the wheel.

seems about right

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd30 … C03148.jpg

Looks like the diagonal isn't one piece in that picture!

thats because it's not. doesn't have to be

Thanks to everyone who has sent in pix--I'm about to post a bunch of them in Evil Genius' original "Common Tech Failures" sticky thread--you can look there until we get the downloadable PDF together.

-Nick

OverkillRC wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

Diagonal has to be one piece

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:
OverkillRC wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

The diagonal does not need to be one piece, but it does need to form a straight line. That said, if you have the choice of making your diagonal one piece or your harness bar one piece, you should make the diagonal one piece.

OK I always Do a one piece diagonal so I thought that was on the rules

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER

Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
fabtoys wrote:
OverkillRC wrote:

The diagonal does not need to be one piece, but it does need to form a straight line. That said, if you have the choice of making your diagonal one piece or your harness bar one piece, you should make the diagonal one piece.

see i would think the other way. that if your gonna make one of the two bars one piece you would want the harness bar one piece seems safer to me i would think the harness would get tested before and more often then the diagonal. chances are your not gonna end up on your lid but a more than good chance your gonna get hit or hit another car/guardrail. but what do i know i'm just a lowly drag car builder.....LOL J/K

Lemons hit walls and roll

OverkillRC wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

see i would think the other way. that if your gonna make one of the two bars one piece you would want the harness bar one piece seems safer to me i would think the harness would get tested before and more often then the diagonal. chances are your not gonna end up on your lid but a more than good chance your gonna get hit or hit another car/guardrail. but what do i know i'm just a lowly drag car builder.....LOL J/K

But the forces that each would encounter are different. The harness bar might only need to hold back you in a 8G crash - 1600#.  The diagnal needs to hold up the main hoop from the entire weight of the car under as much as 8G - 3000#*8G = 24,000#.  I know which one that I want to be one piece and not held together by welds...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:
OverkillRC wrote:
Nick_LeMonsHQ wrote:

But the forces that each would encounter are different. The harness bar might only need to hold back you in a 8G crash - 1600#.  The diagnal needs to hold up the main hoop from the entire weight of the car under as much as 8G - 3000#*8G = 24,000#.  I know which one that I want to be one piece and not held together by welds...

whoa there, thats not the only vertical tube of the cage. should be at least seven vertical or near vertical members in the cage, which would put that 24,000 closer to 3500#. but i get your point.

Rally Rolla: 2010 American Irony 2010 25th, 2010 Blagojevich 500 11th
Nohow Racing Audi: 2010 Bull Oil GP 22nd?

35 (edited by RobL 2010-06-30 12:17 PM)

McFury wrote:

whoa there, thats not the only vertical tube of the cage. should be at least seven vertical or near vertical members in the cage, which would put that 24,000 closer to 3500#. but i get your point.

Actually - yeah it is the only that one bar...  You don't just barrel roll in the air and land square on your roof.

If you look at a cage from the front like this |/| and you excert a force toward the lower left from the upper right corner - the only bar that is there to prevent the main hoop from collapsing is the diagnal.   (this is our roll - you can see that the ENTIRE weight of the car comes down on that corner above the driver in the exact way I describe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv5w15eAOFw )

The other bars will be torqued against their welds and bent against thier bends - in other words the forces will be focused against the least structuraly sound parts of the cage.  The only bar that is there being stressed in it's most powerful state (a compression force along it's length) is that diagnal.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

fabtoys wrote:

Lemons hit walls and roll

so do drag cars just not as often. bottom line is i guess i'm used to the harness bar being one piece and the main hoop supports being there own peices. and on that note i feel the way i did the car i did i feel comfortable with and i trust my welds (otherwise i wouldn't be building this stuff) and i wouldn't be afraid to race in that car by any means.

i did our diagonal in one pc. then added the seat back support and harness bars. i also added cross bars in the back stays for stiffness. i really don't want to be on my lid being held up by 2 pcs. of tubing, because i've been on my lid before...and it wasn't fun

Are folks posting photos that are too large and getting truncated?

No, they're all in the tech failures thread:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3334

Photos are mostly on the second page.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

40 (edited by djcommie 2010-07-12 12:06 PM)

Here's a tech-pass picture!
Our well-regarded kill switch mounting in the alternate dash-mount Position. We have a labelled sticker outside the car on the door, one near the switch, and directions of shut-off.

http://daihatsu-fans.org/Lemons/2010/IMG00197-small.jpg
(click for big)

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade