1 (edited by m610 2010-05-26 11:52 AM)

Topic: New Norcal team

We bought a car, and a parts car, registered for Arse-Sweat (not sure if we are in yet), and have been vacuuming walnut shells, olive seeds, rat shit, and an ant farm out of the car for 2 days. We keep finding more! But, if the never-say-die spirit doesn't kicking on day one it never will.

The car is an Opel GT, 1969. Hopefully with the high-compression, or rather any compression, 1.9L motor. We're doing it up in a Tiny-vette ALMS Corvette Racing theme.

Engine turns, but won't crank.

Everything plastic or rubber on the car is worthless. I gave the brake assist hose a tug and it broke in two. I took the rear view mirror down and it crumbled in my hand. The fan belt looks like it was new, in 1983, the last time the car was run. Barely any rust though, but the car stinks. It needs a couple of cans of that new-car smell stuff, and a bucket of Lysol.

As soon as were get a little farther along on the mechanicals and rodent eviction the car will go over to Evil Genius Racing for a cage and seat mounts.

We've got a blog for this build and we'll be updating it every few days, depending on how tired we are and how late we work.

Link http://teamtinyvette.blogspot.com

My partner and co-owner autoxes with his sons and has done two track days at Thunderhill. I've done about 50 track days, most at Thunderhill, and did my first race a the Goin' for Broke, survived, and now I think I can build a car.

Wish us luck.

Re: New Norcal team

TinyVette! You should see if you can hire some little people to dress up like Mark Hamill and Annie Potts.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Nice... I love the Opel GT. Best of luck to you!

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

Cool.

I thinking about re-bodying our car to look like a 935...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Greenwood Corvette.  I dare you.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-content/uploads/greenwood-corvette-main-w720-h7201.jpg

TST, fool.

It's a Bunny.  With a pancake.  On its head.  Really, is it that tough?

Let me know if you need some help... As you are in town I could possibly be persuaded...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

lOVE IT.......need a driver?

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Brian, we'd love to have you. Let me talk to my team co-dictator.

By, are you really ready for a 90hp, maybe 100 hp car? Can you handle all that power, coming for Porsches like you do?

Update - the rat nests and ant farm are gone and the car almost doesn't stink anymore. We're scrounging for a starter solenoid, so we have even cranked the engine yet, but it does turn by hand, easily. We're working on the front end now, the rear end next week, and may have to resort to using rubber blocks to stiffen the suspension.  and we've got things set up with Evil Genius Racing for a cage and seat and help lowering the car.

We got the motor started tonight! 10 PM, June 9. Historic!

We knew we had compression but the car needed so much other work that it took us almost 3 weeks before we thought we could safely start it. We've had to rip out nearly everything plastic and rubber, including the wiring, and we're wondering about motor mounts and other things we normally take for granted. Like the rubber inside the fuel pump and brake booster.

If we had even installed a battery in the car it would have caught fire. But now it is gutted, 12 gallons of rat shit and nesting have been removed, brakes are almost done, electrical is making progress, the refurbished gas tank comes in 2 weeks, and next week EGR puts in a cage and seat and wheel.

Hopefully we'll make it to Bonni's track day with the car.

SHE LIVES.............................  TEAM racing is still a month away...I think it can be done!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

11 (edited by m610 2010-07-03 09:27 PM)

It's almost ready, mechanically, and electrically. Actually, we haven't even driven it yet, but once we hook up the fuel lines we finally will. Next Friday we'll have it at Bonni's track event at T'hill. After that, if it is still running, it gets painted yellow and black and gets decals, per the Corvette Racing color and decal scheme.

I can't believe we've gotten this far in five weeks.

http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0110-1600.JPG

... Five WEEKS? For an Opel GT?

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Is that slow? This particular one is a 41 year old car that hasn't been driven since 1985.

No, that's crazy quick for a basketcase car like that.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

It was only possible because neither Alan or I have jobs and because neither of use know what we are doing. Alan says we we are done with this one he is going to go out and buy one that is already running, painted, and doesn't smell like rat shit.

Yesterday we found a broken synchronizer shoe in the tranny's pan. We're wondering if that is a bad thing. The car has two more shoes. What does said shoe do anyway?

me likey....the C4 wheels just add to the whole package!!!  Plus those tires look MEAN....can't wait for Friday!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

someone needs to take it off the jackstands for a better pic.

The C4 wheels are for the theme and those tires are used up Toyos off a Miata that John (EGR) gave us.  We won't use those for the race. So heavy. We have 6 steelies coming, and 6 Azenis 615's already in the carport.

The air dam we put on the car today makes the front look very Corvette-like as well.

It is off the jack stands, though is does look a bit high. The KYB shocks jack the rear end up. We might cut the springs to level it again. Meanwhile, it looks like some kind of drift car.

We are also running a fake 'Vette at T-Hill (though our source car Is MUCH less worthy than yours) and it will be at Friday's Track day as well.  LOVE the wheels! I tried to talk my team into that but they didn't bite.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

20 (edited by m610 2010-07-05 09:24 AM)

I look forward to seeing it. The Opel GT just screams miniature Corvette to us, so we had to do that with it. We're putting a lot of effort into the look, probably more than we should, bad for the budget. But we've decided that instead of backing off on theme costs we'll just take our laps.

We're putting a lot of time into the mechanicals, too. I think I mentioned that if we had tired to start this car when we bought it it would have caught fire. Later we learned that if we had even installed a battery, it would have caught fire. It's come a long way since then.

For example on the pace of work, last weekend...

1. Installed the front air dam (courtesy of OGTS and UPS), which now makes the car look even more corvette-like.
2. Patched holes in the cabin, such as where the e-brake was
3. Patched a hole in the fender where the radio antenna was
4. Did more work on the damaged R/F fender. Geoff got to try out his new metal shrinking tool on our car.
5. Installed the tach using tabs welded to the roll cage
6. Stiffened the fuel bulkhead so it would be quieter
7. Fab'ed up a battery holder that mounts in the rear, just above the shocks, behind the fuel bulkhead.
8. Installed one of the headlight pods, holding off on the other while Geoff worked the fender.
9. Hooked up the fuel line to the gas tank
10. Fab'ed up a bracket to hold the fuel and vacuum lines running from the carburetor to where ever they come from.
11. Installed the hood and secured it using hood pins. Removed the original hinges and latch.
12. Did a lot of sanding. Much sanding still left to do.

Our current immediate, before Friday, to-do list:

1. Find a cheap long battery cable. Rumor has it that a certain model of BMW has them.
2. Finish the electrical
3. Install the gauge panel. The panel itself should arrive tomorrow. After assembly, it gets installed.
4. Make a splitter, to complete the ALMS Corvette look.
5. Repair the driver's side floor. Too much rust.
6. Install kill switch.
7. Install tow hooks.
8. Figure out what to do about the tranny. Swap in the tranny from the parts car???
9. Install harness.

Tomorrow car goes back to EGR for some work and tuning. Today I paint the roll cage (second coat), work on the electrical, and pull the parts car tranny. Meanwhile, Alan's playing golf and Geoff is working on his 914 restore/Subie engine swap.

Edit - it looks like bbcode here does not support lists.

21 (edited by m610 2010-07-07 10:28 AM)

Yesterday the car dyno'ed (at EGR) at 85 hp and 94 ft-lbs! New, the engine is rated at 102 hp, so those numbers aren't bad. With a little tuning, hell, 90 hp might be possible. Now if Alan and I could just manage to lose a few pounds...

http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/DSC_0143-1600.JPG

Winner of a project.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

25 years sitting in a field, driven up and down Rice street in front of Evil Genius Racing only last week, and now... the little car survived a full track day where three different drivers kept the car on track for most of the day! It ran great. Not a torque monster by any means, but with the new rubber-to-weight ratio it has great grip. We now have to learn how to drive a momentum car. None of us got the car to it's handling limits. We need another track day before the August race.

http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/MF1A8954-1600.JPG
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/MF1A9286-1600.JPG
http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/MF1A9768-1600.JPG

That car is screaming out for some side skirts made from plastic garden edging. Can't wait to see it in C5R/C6R livery.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

LOOKING GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Richard Doty
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2