Topic: what oil are you guys using?

We've been using Rotella T6 for the cooler races and it gets pretty thin.  For the hot stuff, I'm thinking we'll need something a little more robust.  Cheap is key since it's going in a $500 car after all.  Really don't want my oil bill to exceed the price of the car.  Valvoline VR1 20w50?  Tree sap?  WD40?

Re: what oil are you guys using?

Napa 10w30.  We haven't even changed it since two races ago.  We don't want to go fucking up this engine with regular maintenance and care.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Donated Valvoline VR1 20w50 in both

It Ain't My Fault

We ran Mobile1 ... was like $24 dollars for 5 qts at Wally-World.

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Valvoline VR1 30wt. Says not for street use. Harms cats. $4.29 qt at O'Reillies. We were using Rotella 10w-40 but VR1 has more phosforous and zinc. Been using it for 2 races, 3rd in Dallas.

AMSOIL 20W50 in engine and also trans

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Rotella T-Syn 5W-40 in all six races so far.  Pennzoil Synchromesh in the tranny.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

8 (edited by Spank 2010-05-27 08:19 AM)

Straight 50W in the mini. Kinda helps hold things together, we think. (not kidding).

BTW: the same oil that circulates through the engine also circulates through the transmission and attempts to lube it. Those ground gear bits help lighten our bearings and rod and main journals resulting in less rotating mass resulting in faster acceleration, no? Once we add a turbo to the mix, we expect that we may need to switch to 90wt... OR just straight STP oil treatment.

Royal Purple 20W50.

I know its expensive....but we havent changed it since we poured it in so in a round about way I figure we are ahead.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Whatever is on sale, we left most of it on the track last year:

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/15674/2672781740059037032S500x500Q85.jpg

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

Brad penn.  It was was was left over from my street car, along with whatever 70/90 was around for gear oil.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

12 (edited by Omnilith 2010-05-27 09:35 AM)

We ran 10w30 M1 in the Caravan.... which is also handy for the transaxle since Chrysler manual boxes also use 10w30 motor oil.

No need to change it, really, since it consumes oil at the rate of a 1/4 - 1/2 quart per pit stop.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

I'm gonna try the VR1 20/50.  I heard it's not bad and it's on sale at Autozone for 2.xx a quart (50% off)

14 (edited by rockwood 2010-05-27 09:56 AM)

RogueLeader wrote:

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/15674 … 500Q85.jpg

Smoking engines are common.  What's less common are PT Cruisers in Lemons races.  How did that thing make it under $500?  Was it's driver constantly in the fastlane at 45mph, with the turn signal on, sleeping at traffic lights and making unpredictable changes in direction?

Omnilith wrote:

We ran 10w30 M1 in the Caravan.... which is also handy for the transaxle since Chrysler manual boxes also use 10w30 motor oil.

No need to change it, really, since it consumes oil at the rate of a 1/4 - 1/2 quart per pit stop.

My buddy has an F-body that is on about a 1:1 gas to oil mixture, I called it the "automatic oil change interval", just change the filter every 3 months or 3k miles... big_smile

I don't know what brand we'll be running in the GTP, but it will be a full synthetic 10w-30. My Buick has the same engine and I run Valvoline Synpower and have been happy with it. I'm not a fan of mixing and matching brands and weights, doing that is just asking for trouble in my opinion.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Valvoline VR-1 40wt in ours.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

rockwood wrote:
RogueLeader wrote:

http://inlinethumb59.webshots.com/15674 … 500Q85.jpg

Smoking engines are common.  What's less common are PT Cruisers in Lemons races.  How did that thing make it under $500?  Was it's driver constantly in the fastlane at 45mph, with the turn signal on, sleeping at traffic lights and making unpredictable changes in direction?

IIRC it was pretty beat, may have even been hit in the rear or something.  I don't remember if they were fast or not.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

That PT Cruiser was in New England.. I sort of remember it being a newer, way over priced car that the team leader just gave up to race (it was maybe worth 5 grand).  They had a zillion penalty laps, but that didn't matter as they indeed drove it like a PT Cruiser.

Autozone's finest 20W50! As long as it has the API donut logo on it, it's good enough for me.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

We usually get whatever is on sale at the local big chain parts store. Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with a fram filter was $26 out the door at autozone which is what it has in it right now. And a half a bottle of Lucas zinc stuff just in case.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

Brad Penn 20W50 green oil. Still green after 24 Hrs at Nelson.

Either M1 hi mileage 10w 40 or M5000 10w 40

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

20-50 Syntec.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Straight mineral oil. Great for horsepower, not so good for endurance. Everything's a compromise though, right? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mobile 1