Re: what oil are you guys using?

If we have time we might actually change the oil that the car came with, but I don't know if we can afford a new oil filter. If we do, we'll probably go with the cheapest 10w30 we can find. I might throw in some 20w50 left over from my RX-7.

as much as i hate walmart you can't beat $16 per jug(5Qts) of synthetic. I try to pick up napa or motorcraft filters as they're cheap and actually considered 'good' units.

Lots and lots of Valvoline for Eleanor.  2 jugs of fuel and ~2 qts of oil at each driver change.  smile

That PT Loser was good from far but far from good. I guess the latter could be said for all PT's. That one was nest to us at tech. A bit of a pile. It was SLAMMED in the back though. Still might have been worth more then 500. I remember the seat was so wobbly that got turned right around.

As for oil, whatever our local parts store will give us:-) Hopefully sync.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

WINWAR wrote:

That PT Loser was good from far but far from good. I guess the latter could be said for all PT's. That one was nest to us at tech. A bit of a pile. It was SLAMMED in the back though. Still might have been worth more then 500. I remember the seat was so wobbly that got turned right around.

As for oil, whatever our local parts store will give us:-) Hopefully sync.

You guys are comin back for more this year?

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

nut_job_jeff wrote:

That PT Cruiser was in New England.. I sort of remember it being a newer, way over priced car that the team leader just gave up to race (it was maybe worth 5 grand).  They had a zillion penalty laps, but that didn't matter as they indeed drove it like a PT Cruiser.

Awesome.  If I had a PT Cruiser "racer", I'd make sure to glue on REAL wood paneling, permanently wire the left turn signal on, and make random and ill-advised lane changes periodically.

Amsoil 15-50 racing....we used it in our 2nd race.....engine still runs

Walmart special 20-50 dino oil...used in our 1st race...engine almost made it until it tossed a rod 3 hours to go... :>(

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

LubroMoly GT1 10w60 with the Mos2 additive. Not cheap but better than scattering 12 cylinders and 10 qts of oil all over the track for you guys to parade through.

Pen

We're using semi-used oil I've been collecting for a few months from repairs to equipment at work. I use Schaeffer's Products.

9000 Supreme 5W-50 Racing oil.
Yes, I use racing oil in a mower. Came from a Lastec hydraulic system when it blew a hydraulic hose.

204SAT ATF.
Comes from many leaking oil seal repairs on Toro Flex21 transmissions.

I use a very fine mesh screen from a Massey Ferguson hydraulic filter to sift out the "debris" from the oil, then it's ready to rock.

The filter is a Motorcraft 5.0 filter from that dastardly WalMart. Curse you Walmart for your low prices!

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

10w40 Mobil 1 4T Racing sportbike oil.  Lotsa ZDDP and group V basestock in that stuff!

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

I'd like to see this develop into a "what oil you guys using & did your motor blow up? thread. most of our engines are practically done for when we take the green flag but it's interesting to see if there's a pattern of valvetrain/crank death vs oil product.

Oil? damn, knew we forgot something!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

Oil? damn, knew we forgot something!

Its okay just collect some that leaks out of the 928!!!!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

100% Lucas Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer. Nothing else in the engine.

We used Mobil 1 10w30, but it pretty much turned to black water 7 hours into last race. Then a rod came out the front of the block. We may use something different next time.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

Valvoline VR1 30wt. At ECR we saw oil temps in the pan 240-250 degrees. 3rd race with the stuff.

One of our TARP North guys was talking to an engine builder he ran into out at the Indy 500 a couple weeks ago and that guy recommended VR1 40w in the 4AG engines. He said that he's rebuilt quite a few of them for Formula Atlantic and the 40w will give up a couple horsepower but will keep the engine from blowing up. So that's what we're using up there.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

The wrong one...

We ran 10/30 Mobil dino oil for the first 2 races and I switched to 5/30 Valvoline for the last one.  Got a nasty top end rattle half way through CMP...but she's still running and finished the race.

Switching to 20/50 and hoping the thicker stuff fills in whatever gap is allowing the noise...but bringing a spare head to Summit just in case.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

Trevor57 wrote:

Napa 10w30.  We haven't even changed it since two races ago.  We don't want to go fucking up this engine with regular maintenance and care.

You should probably change this before each race. 20 hours x 80 mph = 1600 miles. But racing is much harder on your engine, similar to boats and planes. I'd be changing that before every race, and inspecting it at the end, to see if there is anything in it (like minute metal particles from your bearings)

As to what Oil,
10W30, its cheap, and its going in a JY engine, why would you pour more expensive oil in ??
OK, maybe 20W50 because its racing, and we run in the California summer time, but get the stuff on sale.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Whatever is in the jug under my toolbox.  I drain all the new oil containers in the shop and it adds up quick,  Mostly LubriMoly 5w30.  There is some of that bubble gum smelling Motul mixed in I'm sure.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Not to hijack, but something interesting and oil-racing related.

I recorded the last 8 hours or so of the 24 Hours of Le Mans last weekend (basically from dawn to the finish) and have been working through it as time allows. Last night I was watching the part where the Pratt & Miller Corvette GT2 team had to rebuild the better part of the back end of their GT2-class leading car after the f'ing moron in the Peugeot ran him off the road in the Porsche Curves.

The Corvette has a large oil sump and cooler(s) in the rear part of the car. I'm sure that at least one of them is for transaxle oil, and I think there's one for the engine oil too (or at least that's what Dorsey Schroeder was saying). Although the team is pretty prominently sponsored by Mobil 1 (right there on the nose of the car! see below), when they were filling/re-filling the sump after the rebuild, the gallon bottles of oil that they were pouring into the sump were decidedly NOT Mobil 1 bottles. In fact, they were nondescript white bottles with all labeling removed.

Now I'm not saying that they weren't using Mobil 1 (although race cars using oil other than that which sponsors them is not particularly uncommon), but it did seem a little odd that they weren't pouring the oil out of Mobil 1 containers...

http://prattmiller.com/galleryphoto.php?id=14212

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I was at Lemans this weekend, and was actually in the porsche curve when the vette ran off the road.  It was his fault.  Now I was a guest of the peugeot team so I am biased.

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible

Serj wrote:

as much as i hate walmart you can't beat $16 per jug(5Qts) of synthetic. I try to pick up napa or motorcraft filters as they're cheap and actually considered 'good' units.

This, but I love walmart...

Hell On Wheels "Totally Not a Rental Car" Chrysler 300
Retreat From Moscow "Traded a Bar Tab for a Wagon" Subaru Legacy
Monterey Car Weeeeak -Dishonorable Mention- "Cocoa Beach A.S.S. Team" Oldsmobile Wagon
Fail Inc Motorsports Intergalactic Headquarters

Mulry wrote:

Now I'm not saying that they weren't using Mobil 1 (although race cars using oil other than that which sponsors them is not particularly uncommon), but it did seem a little odd that they weren't pouring the oil out of Mobil 1 containers...

More than likely they get 55 gallon drums of the stuff in the race shop and just fill up pre-sized containers for events.  Lot easier to store that and pour it into the car than to crack open the little 1qt bottles and pour it one at a time.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

bigds01 wrote:

I was at Lemans this weekend, and was actually in the porsche curve when the vette ran off the road.  It was his fault.  Now I was a guest of the peugeot team so I am biased.

Although I didn't have the pleasure of being there in person, I've only watched the replay about 50 times. There was no excuse for Peugeot driver Davidson pulling that stunt there, especially against a GT class car. If it had been another P1 or even a P2 car that had serious downforce, then it would have been a different story (witness McNish's pass in the Porsche curves of a P2 car about an hour later). But in this situation, it was foolish and unnecessary and portended the karmic failure of his car later in the race.

Not to mention that the Corvette was leading its class at the time and this put them out of the race (eventually). It was a crap move.