Topic: Sweet baby jesus $260 complete coil over kits

http://www.racelandus.com/p-67-raceland … x5-nb.aspx
I know a couple guys on ricer forums have tried these things out, but $260 for a complete kit?   Holy hell. 

Honestly we still have the full $500 and a little more to spend on our car after selling everything off, but wouldn't even come close to putting these on just because we already have a miata. 

Somebody wants to be brave and risk it.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Re: Sweet baby jesus $260 complete coil over kits

And that is why all Miatas are cheaters.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

No. Not all.
I'd spot any Miata team (except Endurance Karting) running those coilovers some laps. I've seen them in person, watched an attempted install and rode in the car after they were successfully installed--it took two weeks to install them because one unit was DOA and another had the wrong bracket so they had to be sent back).

Go for it. You should get one of their $40 "roll over bars"  and a $88 header too while you are at it.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

I'm a fan of using the spring equation to carefully trim factory or alternate junkyard springs.

...a much more lemony solution.

With parts like those, you have to ask yourself what the ultimate goal is.

A Miata with blown struts and sagging springs will still be more fun to drive for 14 hours than 85% of the field.

Lorin Mueller
Scuderia Asino formerly Team Haulin' Ass - 83 Plymouth Scamp
Team Soccer Moms - 93 Dodge Caravan

RobL wrote:

Let's ban 'em!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

wrappedinbacon wrote:
RobL wrote:

Let's ban 'em!

I know!

Namco Racing #48 Miata

rharris19 wrote:
wrappedinbacon wrote:
RobL wrote:

Let's ban 'em!

I know!

I'd much rather let them show up and then crush em!

Pendejo - There is no such thing as a racing budget and if you can't afford to set it on fire and watch it burn while drinking a beer then don't race it.

Honestly we still have the full $500 and a little more to spend on our car after selling everything off

Holy crap! Has anyone else tried parting out a car and completely failed? I posted that we were parting out our XJ6 on Craigslist and the Jaglovers forums and absolutely nobody wanted to buy except one guy wanting to know if the car had Kent wheels (no) and one guy wanting to buy the drivetrain although I stated we were keeping it. Recoup? Zero. I think anything you can succeed in parting out should be banned.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Honestly we still have the full $500 and a little more to spend on our car after selling everything off

Holy crap! Has anyone else tried parting out a car and completely failed? I posted that we were parting out our XJ6 on Craigslist and the Jaglovers forums and absolutely nobody wanted to buy except one guy wanting to know if the car had Kent wheels (no) and one guy wanting to buy the drivetrain although I stated we were keeping it. Recoup? Zero. I think anything you can succeed in parting out should be banned.

Me.. Fortunately, it didn't matter as I got the car well under budget anyway. I sold a few odds n' ends, but who the hell buys used Lexus parts? almost an oxymoron..

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

These are really big over in the VW world as kids try and get their cars scraping the ground. You get what you pay for for sure. If you simply want to make your low on a crazy budget, these will work. If you want something racing, look elsewhere. I have heard the construction on them, although fair, should be temped on a track.

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

WINWAR wrote:

These are really big over in the VW world as kids try and get their cars scraping the ground. You get what you pay for for sure. If you simply want to make your low on a crazy budget, these will work. If you want something racing, look elsewhere. I have heard the construction on them, although fair, should be temped on a track.

lol.... yet running fully blown stock shocks with sagging, cut or clamped springs isn't? I think xenophobia is at play here. I got a coilover kit (different random Chinese vendor) for $35 SHIPPED. I had no idea of the spring rate till I got them, but turns out they were just what I wanted and pretty consistent between springs..... beats what I had!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

EriktheAwful wrote:

me too. our car was supposed to be a goldmine.  I had plans for so much left in the budget after the car was free.  Didn't happen.  Shipping killed me and I could find very few local buyers.  I did end up trading the Pioneer SuperTunnner III that was in the car for a rusty header though.

ps I wouldn't trust those coilovers as far as I could throw them.  Cut the springs a little.  Spend the budget on theme.

really, something like that is not that hard to build.  ebay sleeves and springs for $40.  used shocks for ~$200 or

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/susp … perfCode=P

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-MI … 27b1f811ba

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

really, something like that is not that hard to build.  ebay sleeves and springs for $40.  used shocks for ~$200 or

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/susp … perfCode=P

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-MI … 27b1f811ba

True. I am just used to seeing $1500-3000 coil overs.

Namco Racing #48 Miata

keep your miata suspension totally stock and you're going to handle better than any poor quality coil over kit and messed up spring cut job. Sure, you can do it right, like Eyesore did, but unless you know what you're doing don't mess with the factory suspension - it's pretty damn good right out of the box on a Miata.

Pendejo Engineering "Captain" - 1991 Alfa 164
1983 Shaguar XJ-S V-12 "The Two Ton Miata"
1995 Mercedes S600 V-12  - First car ever CLAIMED by JAY!
1980 Maserati Quattroporte - Judge's Choice

The Gnome uses some of those $40 coil overs.  They sort of work.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

I bought an ebay set of 'brand X' coilover sleeves with springs intended for an acura  for $31.00

They are pretty damn close to the spring rates I wanted also...

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

yep, miotters take some care w/ regard to suspension mods.  but you can make it better for cheap.

GnomeFabTech wrote:

The Gnome uses some of those $40 coil overs.  They sort of work.

i used those $25 ebay sleeves (dumped the springs for eibachs) for DD/autoX for two years.  they held up just fine.  i splurged on custom springs (550/340) for $80 (two used pairs).  with some used koni sports ($225) and a front bar, it made a real nice STS suspension.  that would have been a killer Lemons suspension.

12+-time loser

Buzz Killington wrote:

i used those $25 ebay sleeves (dumped the springs for eibachs) for DD/autoX for two years.  they held up just fine.  i splurged on custom springs (550/340) for $80 (two used pairs).  with some used koni sports ($225) and a front bar, it made a real nice STS suspension.  that would have been a killer Lemons suspension.

Killer enough to get crushed!

Namco Racing #48 Miata

Sleeves and springs are different then the entire unit. What I was reading was that the quality of the damper and mounts themselves. On a street car, not being pushed to the brink of destruction, that might be ok (if you dont mind unknown quality). Most seem to say you are better off going for a something a little better or stock.

I also vote for stock suspension......  assuming you start with a sports car like a miata, BMW or Porsche....  I think some changes will be needed in a caprice station wagon :>) 

We did the exact same thing as eyesore....stock shocks with cut springs to increase the spring rate and the car handles better the HIGHER we raise the suspension!!

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Sticking with stock suspension in the Miata is great if you are keeping the car stock weight....but when you gut the thing and lose 200+lbs then you get monster truck ride height and massive amounts of body roll (e.g.: Our Miata at the VIR event). Cutting springs will be our budget suspension "upgrade" for the car's next outing (if we can solve the oil issue).

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

rharris19 wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

Killer enough to get crushed!

LOL...probably!

12+-time loser

oneday wrote:

Sticking with stock suspension in the Miata is great if you are keeping the car stock weight....but when you gut the thing and lose 200+lbs then you get monster truck ride height and massive amounts of body roll (e.g.: Our Miata at the VIR event). Cutting springs will be our budget suspension "upgrade" for the car's next outing (if we can solve the oil issue).

Right but then you have to add the cages weight in there. Not sure what it is but I'm sure it brings you back up pretty close to that 200 you took out.

icemang17 wrote:

I also vote for stock suspension......  assuming you start with a sports car like a miata, BMW or Porsche....  I think some changes will be needed in a caprice station wagon :>) 

We did the exact same thing as eyesore....stock shocks with cut springs to increase the spring rate and the car handles better the HIGHER we raise the suspension!!

that's interesting....is it because you raised the roll centre or is it a camber change issue? You're starting with a pretty good design anyway. I like stock suspension because even forty-something Brambilla wannabes can feel the weight shift as the car rotates. Feels nice to know the car has "set" before turn in.....maybe not as fast, but consistent...

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....