Topic: Testing....

Is there a way to test the car? 

We don't want to register the car, so we cannot use the streets.

The issue is we have taken a lot of weight out of our German luxo-box, 740il, and we have no idea how the car will handle, oversteer, no traction for the back wheels, extreme speed!!!!???? 

Does anyone know a good way to test and experiment?

Re: Testing....

track days, autocrosses, etc.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

NewRobot2 wrote:

We don't want to register the car, so we cannot use the streets.

Big Brother hasn't installed remote ignition disablers on your car, have they?

ALLEGEDLY!

-Dave
Scuderia Ignorante // Modena / Dearborn / Aichi Prefecture / West Texas

Autocrossing found a potentially fatal flaw in our car before hitting the track.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Us too.  I went to an AX and didn't have the slowest time of the day.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

We're thinking of trailering ours to a big parking lot late at night. No high speed tests, just basics, braking, slalom, etc. Expecting/hoping the police to give a warning, not a ticket, if they drop in.

If you aren't screeching tires, and brappin' through a straight pipe, you will likely be fine.  But you could get a trespassing ticket.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

I figger 3000 miles of BABE rally should let us know what's wrong, of course that requires registering the car.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I took mine with me to the PCA hpde I went to last weekend.  I get lucky, our local PCA chapter is populated by car guys, not a lot of the show and shine crowd, and they loved it.  But ours is still registered.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

A Supertrapp with T-bolt band clamps can give you stealth-quiet for testing and can be removed easily...I've never done it but I saw it at a Solo 2 event that had tight noise restrictions. The guy brings it along and if he fails the loud test, just clamps it on.

Jim "Endo" Anderton
30 years of racing and still not Brambilla.....

JThw8 wrote:

I figger 3000 miles of BABE rally should let us know what's wrong, of course that requires registering the car.

Wouldn't have done it for the Craptation.  We had to take a corner at speed for the ball joint to remove itself from the knuckle.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

RobL wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Wouldn't have done it for the Craptation.  We had to take a corner at speed for the ball joint to remove itself from the knuckle.

Agreed, there are some things which just wont be known until the car is driven in anger.  But BABE isnt a leisurly highway cruise either.  There are a few opportunites to give the car a workout, nothing like a closed track will of course, but dont get the idea its just miles of boring highway cruising.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

No.  I'm not coming with you.

As Rob said, the autoxs helped us diagnose a ball joint failure at 40 MPH instead of at 90 MPH.  And we also learned our motor mounts needed help.  The autox did NOT help us diagnose just how bad the brakes would wind up being.  If you can do a track day, you'd be better off.  But autoxing is better than nothing.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Or just live out in the country.

yes.  that would work even bettter.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Ok. So i am fucked.  Good.  Sounds like most people are on the same wavelength.   So... the hope is not to get arrested testing the car.  Considering my teen years, i think I have a plan!

EriktheAwful wrote:

Or just live out in the country.

Which we do, and where we test.........

dealer plate or temp tags?

We test at our local short track. It's a 3/8ths concrete oval. We can run all day. Today we're doing a 5 hour test to check tire wear and overheating. Almost everyone has a local short track near them

Richard

Just tow it out to a deserted parking lot in an industrial area or out in the boonies and run it around on the weekend when no one is at work.  Try some high-speed panic stops and test the brakes and see how fast they fade and get friggen hot, a big parking lot IS where they have auto X's anyway, so find one and thrash the car there.