Topic: Driveshaft = Safety Item?

So we took the brat drifting again to see what else we could break.

I got to hot lap it, it is fun.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g85/mike_le012004/IMG_0263.jpg

Then this happened...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y54/ADiamond75/GGP%205-30-10/_MG_4206.jpg

Can we put a 1/2 legit driveshaft in without financial penalty for safety reasonz judgemasters?

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

Re: Driveshaft = Safety Item?

Driveshaft doesn't fit in the Lemons safety budget, nice try.

That said, nobody's gonna check (well, maybe now that you've pointed it out)... especially not when you show up with something that has the cool-factor of a Brat.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Since you blew it up racing, we'll let you fit a new (junkyard) one in the budget. If you're talking about getting some sort of super-hot-rod driveshaft in the car for Lemons, we'd become intensely curious about the power levels created by your "stock" rotary.

However, the "it's for SAFETY" argument doesn't work so well with us when applied to stuff like suspension bushings, struts, springs, etc. If your car is an E30, Miata, or just about anything at the opposite end of the stupidity spectrum from a BRAT with ill-advised engine swap, we get even meaner.

4 (edited by mikespeed95 2010-05-31 12:17 PM)

Our problem was the stock fb driveshaft was too short, and the FC driveshaft was also too short.

We decided to use muffler tubing (what could go wrong?!) and It held up absolutely fine for 2 events, one rear wheel adapter/drum-disc converter failure -> hitting water barrels -> going 4-5' in the air over water barrels -> a whole lotta drifting.

We've honestly kept the car at $40x including brakes, but sans cage/fuel system, but would like to possible get a steel shaft made by someone who knows what they are doing.  We're okay with super-ghettoing everything else (as everyone knows) but objects rotating at high speeds that can puncture floorboards/racetracks are a little sketchy...

The only reason it smokes the tires drifting is because I was playing no lift challenge and trying to come into the corner past full lock and dig myself out of the corner using the rear grip and raping the clutch to keep the wheelspeed up.  Its pretty quick because it weights 1800# but the motor is stock with our $20 header and a used 3'' filter duck taped to the end of the stock intake.  My friend replaced his AIR RAID filter with a K&N, and then I took it out of the trash after he told me he threw it away , lol. 

can i petition for a clause that big heavy STEEL non performance increasing driveshafts may be used on bastardized cars where the distance is too great between yoke and imput flange to cut up the stock units?

Mike Peters
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

mikespeed95 wrote:

can i petition for a clause that big heavy STEEL non performance increasing driveshafts may be used on bastardized cars where the distance is too great between yoke and imput flange to cut up the stock units?

No, but you can beg the Lemons Supreme Court to cut you some slack if your car is sufficiently awesome. We assume that teams don't set up their budget to require a muffler-pipe driveshaft in the first place, so if that's how it sorts out for you... better work on making the car even more awesome in our eyes.

There are many shops that will take any random pair of driveshafts and make one custom one with the correct length, yoke, etc for not very far into 3 figures. You'll figure something out.

Whenever you jack up a truck to the extreme, you need new length driveshafts. Plenty of guys in College Station drive 4x4s. There must be a shop in town that makes custom shafts. Usually all you have to do is tell them what length you need, and they mill something.
Being a bastardized-brat, I would take a stock shaft and say "make this, but X inches long".
Or even better, bring another exhaust tubing shaft and say "make this, but stronger"

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Well, I cant comment on the topic but I LOVE that first pic. Man, that looks good. More!!!

Team Victors of War (those idiots in the wife-beaters and white pants)

Putting mannequins in the jump seats will make us like this car a lot more. Bonus points if they've got beers in their hands and realistic expressions of horror on their faces.

just replace the muffler tubing with some 1.75"x0.134 DOM rollcage tubing and you'll be fiiiine! tongue

yeah - what could go wrong big_smile

11 (edited by Doug I 2010-05-31 10:11 PM)

serious question - would a driveshaft hoop fall within 'the budget' bin or should it be put in the 'safety' bucket?

I've seen a driveshaft in the cabin and it .... wasn't pretty.  Driver walked, but the seat looked like it'd been hit  by a shotgun - often.

We've still got some work to do on the theme, and we are not doing ANYTHING related to it until our next Lemons race.

I will say we have at least 3 themes planned out, and I haven't seen any like theme #2 that is planned, but that one will dawn a whole new era of a-paper-machezing themes better than a gift dropped down the chimeny on Christmas day

So if we do decide that the muffler tubing is indeed an excellent idea, but maybe we should pay someone who has the proper tooling to do a little bit of a safer job that'd probably be okay?

We know how/where to get them made, this brat is definately the awesomest thing we have ever built/touched but we've done a lot of swaps.

Also for anyone reading, We'll be putting together a proper maintenance how to for between events soon!

Mike Peters

Lessons we learned this weekend:

DIY extended driveshaft = good idea
16ga aluminized exhaust tubing as driveshaft body = could use improvement

After further consideration of what caused the failure and what can be done to prevent it from happening again in the future, I'll probably just DIY the driveshaft again, this time using a higher-grade steel.  The aluminized muffler tubing in "version-1" was selected based on convenience (tubing we had laying around of the appropriate diameter), and the non-trivial Lemons chuckle factor (muffler-tubing driveshaft. epic lulz).  It worked well for what it was, withstood countless punishing "clutch kick" torque spikes and near triple-digit speeds before its demise.  That the muffler-tubing driveshaft lasted as long as it did suggests that it was almost adequate, and since "adequate" is all we're after, changing to a stronger body material should be enough.  Having a driveshaft professional made and balanced would be nice, but if that would be held against our Lemons budget then I expect we'll instead take our chances again with a "version-2."

Derrick

I still don't know if we got shot down on doing it "safely"

Maybe we should just gusset the driveshaft.

Mike Peters

A properly themed Subaru Brat isn't going to get any penalty laps.  I just don't see it happening.  Do what you need to do to feel safe (ish) driving it.

As for the drive shaft loop, while not specifically called out as a safety item (or is it?  I don't remember), it clearly has zero performance benefit and IS a safety item.  Do it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

We just got a driveshaft shortened at the shop and it was only $96.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

measure the correct length for your driveshaft (DS). Using some calipers or a micrometer, or maybe just a tape measure, find the outside diameter of each end of the DS (the machined interface) Count the splines on each of the interfaces. Write all that down in big lettering on a piece of scrap paper (because you'll be getting grease all over it).

Then head down to the local junkyard and start crawling under Japanese cars of similar size. Look for the same differential or rear end in Japanese cars, as that will likely have(does that have the R160 differential in it?). I would try any Subie car, any of the rear wheel drive Nissan's (240-260-280zs) or RWD Toyota's. Try and find a longer DS that has the right ends on it. Also check the small trucks. If that all fails to produce something useful, find any long enough DS from a big chevy/ford sedan/truck and weld your subie ends onto that.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

The problem is the diameter of stuff you'd find in a truck is way to big to properly/safely weld the u-joints onto properly. 

Mainly we're just curious if we'd get in trouble actually spending a little bit of money on this so it wouldn't break.  We haven't really broken anything that costs money to fix before and were curious on how that works in Lemons accounting.

Mike Peters

mikespeed95 wrote:

The problem is the diameter of stuff you'd find in a truck is way to big to properly/safely weld the u-joints onto properly. 

Mainly we're just curious if we'd get in trouble actually spending a little bit of money on this so it wouldn't break.  We haven't really broken anything that costs money to fix before and were curious on how that works in Lemons accounting.

Honestly, I would rather you spend $50 over your $500 budget to not have you die next to me on the racetrack.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Awww, thanks <3

Mike Peters

mikespeed95 wrote:

Awww, thanks <3

Woah there, I just dont want any bodyparts flying into me. Mechanically separate yourself somewhere else.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

sad

Mike Peters

You must make your vehicle safe, which means no muffler-pipe driveshafts. If you need to go over budget to do so, then that's what you need to do. No promises made about BS inspection (especially since I won't be at the North Dallas Hooptie) but we don't want disintegrating driveshafts on the track.

We unfortunately won't be at Dallas either, can't afford it :-/

MSR fall though its on!  I found some FB wheels cleaning the shop today, off of the FB parts car we had, so I'm trying to sell those, and I've got some other stuff I found I can scrap and free up the cash to do a 1/2 legit one more than likely.  Need to talk to Derrick sometime tomorrow and formulate a hypothesis.

Mike Peters

What is your exhaust setup after the header?
-Which is some nice fab work BTW. Looks like the one from Racing beat.-

How loud is it? both at cruse and WOT?

The reason I ask is for a friend with an FC that is loud as all get out.

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that don't work" - Thomas Edison