Topic: Fuel Cell advice

The fuel tank on our barn-find Opel has one hole in it big enough to get your hand through, and other only 3 fingers, and six more smaller ones. The whole lower section is probably beyond salvaging.

I'll be pulling the tank for the barn-find parts car, but I'm not optimistic, plus that car has not been cleaned out yet and still smells like rat piss. I'm not looking forward to crawling in the back, nose first, to get it out.

I can get an aluminum replica made for about $400. So that is an option. But a fuel cell might be a better way to go and I've started shopping, but I've never looked into these before and could use some pointers on what to look for. On the Summit Racing site I see quite a range of prices, for example. Is there a particular type of fuel cell I should be looking at? Obviously not a drag racer's cell, and it has to fit. The Opel has a 13 gallon tank and it would be nice if we could get the filler hose to come out at the same place the original did.

Somewhere in the rules section, or maybe in a post here, they warned that cheap fuel cells were to be avoided, the OEM tanks were better.

Re: Fuel Cell advice

A fuel cell installation will run you a minimum of $700, by the time you buy the hoses, fittings, pump, filter, etc.  The replica stock tank is probably the cheaper route.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

Thanks. If the tank I pull out of the stinky parts car is bad then I'll go for the replica. The company can still make them and will ship within 5 days of getting mine. The price is $500 plus shipping. At least I know it will fit.

DaveH wrote:

A fuel cell installation will run you a minimum of $700, by the time you buy the hoses, fittings, pump, filter, etc.  The replica stock tank is probably the cheaper route.

Who ripped you off?

Sons of STIG
Judge Jonny, "So, what's the next formerly thought to be immune from winning that will steal the nickels?An MR2? A Fierro (ha ha ha)? A Datsun/Nissan Z? A Camaro?"

5 (edited by RobL 2010-06-07 05:24 AM)

Riktor wrote:
DaveH wrote:

Who ripped you off?

No one.  We did a good fuel cell installation. 

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images/cell1.jpg

There was the cell, A-N fittings, braided steel line, rollover fittings, pump, two filters, steel cage, fuel level sender, fuel guage, regular steel line, and some other things...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

The Opel GT does not have a trunk, and to get the tank out we had to remove the seats and drag it out from the inside. And the tunnel it goes in is pretty low, and an odd shaped cell would be required is we were to get anywhere near the 13 gallon capacity the car originally had. I think we might be stuck with getting a replacement, and if something happens to it after the cage is in, we'd be in trouble.

You can get custom fuel cells made to fit any application...the downside is $$$$$  as in lots of it :>( 

13 gallons isn't bad for such a light car....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

8 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-06-07 08:19 PM)

There's an Opel GT sitting in a junkyard near here. I've been trying my best not to go anywhere near it for fear that I might want to buy it, but if you need the fuel tank, this yard pulls them out and drops them in the cabin. I'm headed that way later this week if you want me to take a look at it.

The tank is $25.47 flat (with no additional trimmings) - but you'll need to get it shipped from roughly Baltimore, MD (unless you know somebody headed for Summit Point). Still cheaper than a fuel cell or a replica.

Same goes for any other silly Opel bits you might want. I have a picture of the tragic thing around here somewhere......

http://pic.phyrefile.com/e/ey/eyemwing/2010/05/08/IMG_2535.JPG

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

If you go with a fuel cell, expect a more critical tech inspection than if you have a stock tank.

There is no trunk on this car. You'd have to install a fuel cell by basically sliding it down a tunnel then bolting it in and hooking everything up. Once the cage goes in that may be impossible.

Plus, said tunnel is pretty low. The stock tank is like a low wide box towards the front of the car, and much deeper towards the back. I think it would be pretty difficult to get a standard box fuel cell in there unless it was an 8-10 gallon capacity tank.

We're getting a refurbished tank from Texas. It should be here in 2 weeks.

By the way, the tanks in our Lemons and parts car had too much corrosion to be fixable without putting a lot of work into them. I'd expect that the tank in the yellow GT above to have a bad tank, too. But, if I lived near it, I'd check it out.  If the sender is still good its worth a lot more than $25.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I suspect the GT that ran in Phoenix recently has a cell in it. I'll ask the owner about that.

EyeMWing wrote:

Same goes for any other silly Opel bits you might want. I have a picture of the tragic thing around here somewhere......

http://pic.phyrefile.com/e/ey/eyemwing/2010/05/08/IMG_2535.JPG

Looks like Lemons cars washed up on the beach at high tide.

Team Seppuku
1979 Toyota Celica GT Liftback

Checked out that Opel. It's in a bit worse shape now, and the fuel tank is nowhere to be found (Someone probably tossed it in a nearby minivan which was later crushed after having been picked over). Every single other part I could think to look for was totally present, though.

Also, I'm apparently not allowed in with a camera anymore sad

Probably something to do with C4C vehicles missing bits they really shouldn't be missing.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Just cut the top off the trunk area on your Opel and install a steel can fuel tank you buy from Jegs for <$200.  Cutting that part of the car open will help you install the rear stays on your cage anyway.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

We have fuel cells in both of the 240Z we run.  Rusty tanks are typical of old cars that have been sitting neglected.

The Tech guys would prefer to see FIA rated fuel cells which are quite pricey and I don't think they accommodate a gas gauge but I could be wrong.

I used a drag cell I bought off Craigslist.  I made a can/holder.  Added a roll over valve, sending unit for a foam fill cell and a gauge.  The lines add to the cost too.  Even with a deal on the cell, it was not exaclty cheap but it is reliable.

On the second car we used a 22 gallon circle track cell.  It was a bit pricey and has no gas gauge.  The flap into the filler it annoying on fill up because you can't see the fuel level.

Both cells are under metal covers

If you install a cell, I would use the biggest thing you can.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Remember there is a 24 gallon cap on cell capacity.

I had an Opel GT myself and given that it's such a sumbitch to put a tank in in the first place I'd be very tempted to get one of those JEGS aluminum cells and mount it in the stock location BUT: I'd cut the bottom of the 'trunk' out, build a 16 gauge sheet metal 'wall' between the tank and the interior (required byLeMons rules), hang a 2x3x.120 wall rectangle tubing box around the tank (that would be welded to the original 'frame' members) and then run a remote fill to the top of the 'trunk'.

I still have a Opel GT fill neck and cap if you need it. smile

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)