Topic: Too early to start a "Lamest Day" thread?

We're planning on attending this one.  Who else is in?

Serious Business Motorsports
'84 BMW 325e. 
Official...ish BP Raceteam of the North Dallas Hooptie.

Re: Too early to start a "Lamest Day" thread?

Application submitted.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

3 (edited by Jer 2009-06-18 07:57 AM)

Here too!

The good news is it sounds like we will almost certainly be running the full track, which in turn means they could probably field 140 cars.  This is turning into a nice little enterprise for the organizers...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Trying to work out the details now.  I'm not looking forward to the 20 hr tow from Dallas...

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

We're planning on being there. Still working on the application and watching "Truth in 24" like there's no tomorrow. I don't think the rest of my team is going to let me modify the car to resemble the Audi R10 though. But that would be awesome. Especially if it were really an Audi. Hmm...

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We are planning to be there with a 260Z.  It's our first Lemons event, though I have been on the track before.  I doubt they would field more than about 80 cars the first time there.  That's a lot of cars to deal with in the middle of the night.  If all goes well, they might bump it up next year.

We still need to firm up the team and get our application in.  The car is purchased and we should be getting it in a few weeks.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Mulry wrote:

watching "Truth in 24"

More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQPLdfk4Nk

Top Gear 24 Hour race.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Depending on how Buttonwillow goes we are trying to make it from San Diego!

btp76 wrote:

Trying to work out the details now.  I'm not looking forward to the 20 hr tow from Dallas...

20?? Lucky!!! How about 35 smile

RobL wrote:
Mulry wrote:

watching "Truth in 24"

More like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQPLdfk4Nk

Top Gear 24 Hour race.

LOL. Good point. But a man can dream, can't he? I'm sure we'll be just as well turned-out as that Audi squad. Besides, Clarkson et al. never really get their hands dirty when they break their cars.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

And McNish does?

No, but if you took the driving talent of May, Clarkson and Hammond and cooked it down to a fine syrup, it might fill a thimble, whereas McNish would fill a 5-gallon bucket. McNish doesn't pretend to work on the Audi but Clarkson always likes to lift up the hood and muck about like he knows what he's doing and then you see the tech guys come flooding in to make everything better. It's a farce.

Don't get me wrong, I love Top Gear. Even got my wife to start watching it with me. She likes the "zany antics." But watching those toffs at that 24 hour race is like watching _my_ team at Lemons. When I want to see what we _should_ be doing, I prefer the Audi movie.

I think that the Top Gear race that more accurately reflects Lemons is that one where they're racing around the field for hours on end and their cars keep breaking. I think Clarkson was in a Jag? And somehow he won the challenge despite the fact that it kept overheating or something? Was that the same challenge where May's car breaks on the test track and then Hammond's rolls backwards down a test hill maybe? I might be confusing a couple of episodes together.

It doesn't really matter...  I don't really care if Clarkson does his own wrenching.  Half, if not most, of the stunts are staged - The one where they are testing 18-wheelers and Clarkson comes rolling in with his truck on fire pops to mind.

How about the one where they smash Captain Slow's piano? That was priceless.

Yup!!  We're coming up from Tampa!!  Can't freaking wait!!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

So, during a true 24 hour race, will they pause the race for the People's Curse, or do they perform the ceremony on the fly during green flag racing?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

In the three races I've been in the curse has happened during racing on Sunday.  If you want to see it you've got to come in.  I can't imagine they'd stop the 24 hour race for it.

im still trying to talk my team into i am signed up will wait to see acceptance then get to work have to decide on car . any other teams from philly area thinking about bring  26 foot travel trailer  for command post   i know of at least 4 drivers that will be in  the lights will be tricky on our car but for a real 24 hour race i cant say no its too stupid to stop now

I'll be there, but alas, only as a spectator. The $799 2000 Mustang was so tempting, but this is just not the year. Maybe next year.

I'll gladly help throw wrenches, but one should be warned that I'm excessively good at stripping nuts and shearing off bolts. That said, I can do both of these things quickly. 

Christopher

cbustapeck wrote:

I'll gladly help throw wrenches, but one should be warned that I'm excessively good at stripping nuts and shearing off bolts. That said, I can do both of these things quickly.

Nice.  As one of my teammates said: A prerequisite for working on our teams car is that you are skilled labor*.  The righty-tighty/lefty-loosey actually disqualified one of our drivers.

* Skilled labor: Knowledge of the Metric System, Theory of Pipe Clamps, and Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey are required.  Proficiency with a BFH is a major plus.  (You must supply your own BFH.  I don't currently own one.)

RobL wrote:
cbustapeck wrote:

Nice.  As one of my teammates said: A prerequisite for working on our teams car is that you are skilled labor*.  The righty-tighty/lefty-loosey actually disqualified one of our drivers.

* Skilled labor: Knowledge of the Metric System, Theory of Pipe Clamps, and Righty-Tighty, Lefty-Loosey are required.  Proficiency with a BFH is a major plus.  (You must supply your own BFH.  I don't currently own one.)

Oh, I know lefty-loosey/righty tighty thing well enough. Sometimes I even remember to ignore it when dealing with bicycles.

Fish wrote:
btp76 wrote:

20?? Lucky!!! How about 35 smile

We should caravan from DFW...might be fun.  What car are you guys entering?

Serious Business Motorsports
'84 BMW 325e. 
Official...ish BP Raceteam of the North Dallas Hooptie.

TARP II will be there, inshallah...

Caravanning is a possibility.  Emailing...

Hey, powers that be-how many cars do you plan to allow in at Nelson Ledges???

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)