Re: Too early to start a "Lamest Day" thread?

Team Cougar Bait hopes to field another Saab at this year's event. Last year we used a Saab 9000 which we waxed a wall with and won, most heroic fix.

Our application is submitted and we are eagerly awaiting the outcome and hopeful invite.

http://culturegarage.com/category/couga … bmit=Go%21

Team Cougar Bait

we're planning on coming out.  We either registered or will have in the next couple days.

Still trying to finalize our theme.  The only thing we have for certain is that we have a guy dressing up in a bear costume and wandering around handing out free candy.  www.freecandyracing.com

-Chip

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

In being an uber geek and watching several youtube vids of Nelson Ledges, I do have a few observations:
WOW, that track is rough!  (Well, it looks rough)  We'll have to double check all those important fasteners that we only finger tightened. 
I couldn't find any night video, but I'm curious how dark it really gets when running through the trees. 
Anyone from here have ever run NL??  Any suggestions on what we'll need to bring up?   I heard the paddock area is pretty ...um...errr....primitive. 
Since we were able to run CMP without a tire chicane, any chances we'll be able to run NL without one either?
CAN'T FREAKING WAIT!!!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Yes, Nelson is ROUGH.  As for night racing, I have only been on it until sunset, but it will be very dark from what I could tell.  One thing you might have noticed from the vids is that brakes shouldn't be a problem.  The track is very fast with no big braking.

One thing to watch out for is wildlife on the track near sunset.  I saw a deer run across the track and then the next lap, I hit a beaver or ground hog right at sunset at around 125mph and it was ugly.  The impact ripped the large aluminum splitter/bellypan off the car which in turn sheared the oil filter and water to air intercooler off the car.  It looked like a Cup car losing an engine - MASSIVE smoke.  All my fluids went on the rear tires just before the kink.  I did manage to keep the car on the track, but the entire car was covered in oil.

I really hope chicanes are gone from Lemons.  From the videos I've watched, they cause way more trouble than they prevent.  At NL, a chicane would only make it harder on brakes.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

TAJRacing45 - I ran Nelson's on Friday. Yes, it's rough but it's actually better than it was several years ago. The left hander, Oaktree, has several patches and it probably the worst spot on the track. The rest is 'relatively' (for Nelson's) smooth.  Don't be surprised to see some pot holes open up during the race.  It's part of the charm.

How dark is it out in the Carosel at night? .... as dark as a country road. You will be driving via your headlights and the lights of the cars around you.  Answer - very dark.

The paddock is grass with gravel access roads.  You are basically camping in a field. Bring plywood for under the car. Bring a generator for lights and electrictiy. Bring an ATV or wagon to haul gasoline to the refueling area. Bring gasoline. It's still not confirmed if there will be fuel at the track or if you will have to drive 5+ miles off site to get gas.

There are pit toilets and one 'good' bathroom with flush toilets and crude showers.  Next to the tech shed is a compressor and air hose.

The cuisine at Nelsons is provided by a food trailer like you'd see at a county fair. Burgers, dogs, chips and drinks mostly.  Bring food it you want to eat well. 

There is no permanent tire changing facility on site though somebody might have a tire machine available (but don't count on it).

October weather can be warm and sunny or could be cold, blowing and miserable. Dress accordingly.  Night time will be chilly.  In years past I remember being cold at 3:00 during the original Longest Day events and those ran in June!!   

A balaclava is good for night racing to keep the cold breezes off your sweaty neck.

Barbecue grills and campfires are allowed in the paddock area.

Welcome to Nelson's Ledges!  The racing is guaranteed to be great.

The misqutoes can't wait for you to get here.

Spud

- bring plywood for under the car.

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

being from western Pennsylvania, NL should feel just like home. potholes and obstacles, just like my commute.

AWESOME!!  It should really separate the men from the boys then!  Roadkill on the track should earn us a few bonus laps or points.

Since you are looking for NL footage, here is a short vid of one of my teammates racing there.  There are two classes running together.  He is not in the class with the Vettes.  Assuming we get in, we will use this camera setup complete with G meter.  Don't know yet where to mount second camera.  We need to get the old Z running first.  It has been dead for many, many years - thus our name and theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czXJfsJQPyM

'74 260Z

Wow, that's a "Man up" track!  At night it could be positively scary!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

It's hard to see in the vids, but the carosel is banked a bit.  Also, there are springs under the track, so turn one is usually weeping and damp.  Yee haw!

If you do a search for NL track records, you'll see how fast it is.  It isn't very wide though which might make Lemons a penalty fest.

'74 260Z

Have we heard if we are going to run the full track or the short version?

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

Jay was saying the full track since the cut through isn't as well maintained as the rest of it.  smile

This will be one of the "best" event in the history of Lemons. I wish we could make it. I predict a lot of mechanical issues and only about 50% of the teams finishing under their own power. How do they do the flags at night?

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

This will be one of the "best" event in the history of Lemons. I wish we could make it. I predict a lot of mechanical issues and only about 50% of the teams finishing under their own power. How do they do the flags at night?

First of all you'll see them since you have head lights.  Second, sometimes they have yellow lights at the corner stations...

I wonder how well the corners workers will be able to see the cars for penalties at night?

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

I wonder how well the corners workers will be able to see the cars for penalties at night?

AAhhh, that is the question!  I've never done Lemons at night but we just want to get through the night.  Race in the daylight, survive at night.

Tajracing45 wrote:

...but we just want to get through the night.  Race in the daylight, survive at night.

I just searched the web and found that in NE Ohio in early October, sunset will be at around 7:15pm and sunrise will come at 7:20am.  The race is noon until noon, so we will be right around 50/50 day and night.  Make SURE your lights are good!

'74 260Z

Team Police Brutality has our application in, and our fingers crossed. This one is only 6 hours from us!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

44 (edited by oros35 2009-07-16 09:02 AM)

Just picked up our car last night!  Now to get the application in and get accepted! 

About an hour and a half from us. 

Road Rage Racing - Lemons Division

Road Rage Racing - Lemons Division

Here's a Lamest Day tip .... you may want to consider wearing a balaclava (head sock) at night.  In past 24 hour races at the Ledges I have found that it gets cool in the car during the night and the sweat on the back of your neck starts to get cold and clammy. The balaclava soaks it up and keeps the cold breeeze off the back of you neck.

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Team Doing Community Service is entered with a car change (have to update that) - our $400 Jetta magically morphed into the $150 Scirocket. We're looking forward to the track, hope that it's as fun as our tracks up here in the Murder Mitten.

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

atomicalex wrote:

...hope that it's as fun as our tracks up here in the Murder Mitten.

"Murder Mitten"...  I love it.  Where are you from?  If all goes as planned, we will be doing Lamest Day as well.

'74 260Z

We have team members from Oakland County, G-Rap, and Lansing. NL looks more like GingerMan than Grattan. I do wish we were running at Grattan, but there is no way we would all fit in the paddock. Plus the facilities are kind of rotting. If I only had the $$ to buy that place......

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

atomicalex wrote:

We have team members from Oakland County, G-Rap, and Lansing. NL looks more like GingerMan than Grattan. I do wish we were running at Grattan, but there is no way we would all fit in the paddock. Plus the facilities are kind of rotting. If I only had the $$ to buy that place......

I would like to vouch for this team. Atomicalex (under an assumed identity) raced for our team at Stafford. Mark my words, the team will be prepared for anything, and their expertise on everything VW should help them considerably during this event. Good Luck Team Doing Community Service.

I wish Team Trailing Throttle Over Steer could attend, but it looks like it's not in the cards for us this year.

atomicalex wrote:

I love Grattan.  Of all the tracks I've been to around the country, it's one of my favorites.  That said, it's way too challenging for Lemons and a bit too dangerous.  If you haven't been to NL, you're in for a treat.  It's fast and fairly easy on brakes.  Yes, it is a bit like GMan, but it's more fun.  GingerMan is okay, but is tough on brakes.  NL is rough and cruddy like Grattan, but it was sold since I was there last and I've heard it got some improvements.

Once we get our car running and the cage in, we'll hit one or two Wednesday night test sessions at GingerMan before October.  Our car hasn't run in 10-15 years so we need to shake it down pretty good before NL.

Most of our team lives in the western Detoilet suburbs.  We should caravan to NL assuming we both get in.

'74 260Z