Re: Too early to start a "Lamest Day" thread?

Now that we're seasoned pros (ok, 1 race), we're gonna step up to the lamest day. Hope we get in!

We ran Stafford with a 4-person team, and the track time per person seemed just about right. So is a 6-person team needed for a true 24 hour race? We'll need to go buy gas and food ourselves. Somehow the "drive 11 hours to the track and stay up all night, drive 11 hours back" sales pitch to my wife didn't work.

Also, it is actually possible to grab some sleep or is it way too exciting and being sleepy isn't a problem?

Near-Orbital Space Monkeys
#528 BMW 528e 121hp Black "Saturn 5" Rocket car with orange foam flames. Sold.
#71 Yellow Fox Mustang. For sale.

EvergreenDan wrote:

Also, it is actually possible to grab some sleep or is it way too exciting and being sleepy isn't a problem?

I can't imagine sleeping much if any.  I will be lucky to dose off for a few minutes after a driving stint, but will try to force myself to get some rest.  Driving on a track with 50+ other sleepy drivers should be quite interesting.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

We have six person teams and I fully intend to catch some Zs as long as the car is running and were cruising along.  We're looking at, theoretically, the possibility of 4 hour sleep shifts.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

I registered our team today and saw that there are a ton of teams registered with almost a week to go before the deadline.  I lost count, but it looked to be over 110.  Any guesses how many they'll accept?  Don't they usually keep it low the first time to a track and then increase the number once they know how it will go?  I can't imagine them allowing more than 60-70 this year.  I hope we get in.  It's the only race we can afford to travel to.

'74 260Z

A little birdie told me probably about 120 cars will be accepted.

Property Devaluation Racing

Drivers wanted for TX races

btp76 wrote:

A little birdie told me probably about 120 cars will be accepted.

I hope so.  The count is currently at 130.

'74 260Z

There's more than 120 teams applied right now.  I expect it to grow to 150.

1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

A 135 car entry would give us the same car density, cars / mile of track surface, that we had at Toledo last year.   

That would be about perfect!!!!

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Jeff G 78 wrote:

Most of our team lives in the western Detoilet suburbs.  We should caravan to NL assuming we both get in.

I think everyone who's driven Grattan loves it. I can usually be found bombing around turn three in my Passat wagon. Go for the sewer grate and you're home free into four and the esses. Yeah, it's waawaaaaaaay too challenging. The swamp would be double-stacked by the end of the second lap.

Caravan sounds like a good idea. :fingerscrossed: for us!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

UDMan wrote:

I would like to vouch for this team. Atomicalex (under an assumed identity) raced for our team at Stafford. Mark my words, the team will be prepared for anything, and their expertise on everything VW should help them considerably during this event. Good Luck Team Doing Community Service.

I wish Team Trailing Throttle Over Steer could attend, but it looks like it's not in the cards for us this year.

Thanks, Jim! I wish you/we could be there, but the track is a bit long for the Corvair, and I have no idea how I would manage driving for two teams! TBH, let me know if you want to be on our pitcrew. You can bring Ralph for some good luck. You know I apologize to cones better than anyone!

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

61 (edited by MagnumPI 2009-07-21 04:40 PM)

We are a newly formed team looking forward to this event.  We have  4 drivers, hoping to be selected, keeping our fingers crossed and noting how the race organizers like their steaks cooked.

Cheers.

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

Here's to hoping we get an acceptance email this week.  Our "mascot" has his bear costume on order and wants suggestions on what kind of candy he should be giving out...  big_smile

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

Jeff G 78 wrote:

It's hard to see in the vids, but the carosel is banked a bit.  Also, there are springs under the track, so turn one is usually weeping and damp.  Yee haw!

If you do a search for NL track records, you'll see how fast it is.  It isn't very wide though which might make Lemons a penalty fest.

I see that average speed is about 90, what about the typical Lemons car? What is the general consensus on how fast the cars will be on an average lap? I am worried about our hunk-o-crap running @ 4000 rpm for 1 min let alone 24 hours.
     Thanks Dave

King Arthur wrote:

I see that average speed is about 90, what about the typical Lemons car? What is the general consensus on how fast the cars will be on an average lap? I am worried about our hunk-o-crap running @ 4000 rpm for 1 min let alone 24 hours.
     Thanks Dave

Good question Dave.  I'm thinking that if they allow anywhere near 120 teams on the track, it will be a parade, so the speeds will be much lower than normal.  That could be a good thing for engine durability, but it might also make brake life worse.  Once the herd thins out, the speeds will rise.  Overall, the top speeds are not rediculous at NL, there just aren't any really slow turns so the average lap speeds are high.

'74 260Z

King Arthur wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

It's hard to see in the vids, but the carosel is banked a bit.  Also, there are springs under the track, so turn one is usually weeping and damp.  Yee haw!

If you do a search for NL track records, you'll see how fast it is.  It isn't very wide though which might make Lemons a penalty fest.

Thanks Dave

Man I hear that.  At Stafford we were spending a lot of time at redline in 2nd in the Craptation, and I was thinking "This thing's gonna blow!"  It did, after 87 laps.  sad

66 (edited by RobL 2009-07-22 07:20 AM)

King Arthur wrote:

Thanks Dave

If you are seriously concerned about blowing the car up if you go over 4000rpm, find another car/engine.  This is real racing - just in crap cans - and you will be winding the engine out lap after lap.  At CMP, there were ~120 cars on a smaller track (1 mile) and we were able to go fast at the first green.  Even at Stafford, with 60 cars in less than a mile, it wasn't a parade and there were places to wind the engine out.  So even with up to 140 cars in 2 miles, there is going to be some room to race from the green flag.

FYI, I put the fastest Lemons cars along side ITA cars for speed.  So if you were to look at lapping speeds, those are the cars I use.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Looking at the Thunderhill 2008 video, the presence of tire stack chicanes in the straights looks like it slowed things down quite a bit, at the expense of creating queues. Unlike Stafford, there appreared to be only room for one car at a time, with some jerkola line jumping.

Not sure if that's in store for Nelson Ledges or not.

Pleeeeeaaaasssseee no chicanes!!!!  They cause more trouble than they prevent.

'74 260Z

EvergreenDan wrote:

Looking at the Thunderhill 2008 video, the presence of tire stack chicanes in the straights looks like it slowed things down quite a bit, at the expense of creating queues. Unlike Stafford, there appreared to be only room for one car at a time, with some jerkola line jumping.

Not sure if that's in store for Nelson Ledges or not.

The recent trend seems to be in favor of no tire chicanes. We had one tire chicane at MSR Houston and it caused a lot of problems. Since then, IIRC, none of the 2009 races have used a tire chicane (unless there was one at Stafford, I haven't seen any video from that race). They didn't even have one at No Problem and that was the first time Lemons had visited that track.

It seems like the most logical place for a tire chicane at NL would be someplace on that backstretch, but with the limited run-off room back there and the Kink (which appears to be off-camber to me in the videos -- can anyone confirm that?), and the fact that this will be nighttime racing when it might not be a great idea to have a big black set of negotiable obstacles on the track -- my bet is that we won't have chicanes at Nelson. But what do I know? As my team will tell you, less and less every passing day. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I don't recall the kink to be off camber, but then I'm a bit off myself so maybe I just didn't notice.

'74 260Z

Stafford had no tire stacks this year, just the turn one chicane complex, which could be taken two abreast (if both cars play well with others).

So maybe no tire chicanes for NL? I have to say that 80-90 MPH average speed seems pretty darn quick for rustly old cars with questionable suspensions. We'll get to use fifth gear. Stafford was about 55 MPH average (best lap), as I recall -- big difference. I will be much less amused at getting run off the track at NL speeds (assume our team is lucky enough to get in).

You DON'T want to go agriculural at NL.  It's rough at best and there are trees in some areas.

'74 260Z

Actually we estimated getting to almost 80 MPH at Stafford in the coROLLa.  We were deep in third gear.

I'm glad this track has so many applications so far. Hopefully that will mean a return trip next year and then we can make it....

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

156 teams registered so far.  yikes!