Re: Too early to start a "Lamest Day" thread?

It's going up quickly now that we are only a day or so away from the deadline!

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

EvergreenDan wrote:

So maybe no tire chicanes for NL? I have to say that 80-90 MPH average speed seems pretty darn quick for rustly old cars with questionable suspensions. We'll get to use fifth gear. Stafford was about 55 MPH average (best lap), as I recall -- big difference. I will be much less amused at getting run off the track at NL speeds (assume our team is lucky enough to get in).

i wouldn't be surprised to see a chicane on the backstretch before the kink...but i'd suspect it would be a longer, more open one designed to keep people out of triple digits going into the kink (i.e., not the thing they had at CMP last year where some cars had to squeeze through).  maybe some sort of "halfway across the track" wall on one side and then another on the opposite side 50-70 yards later.  so you're slowing down but not necessarily braking.  there are plenty of ways to keep them visible at night.  *shrug*

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
EvergreenDan wrote:

So maybe no tire chicanes for NL? I have to say that 80-90 MPH average speed seems pretty darn quick for rustly old cars with questionable suspensions. We'll get to use fifth gear. Stafford was about 55 MPH average (best lap), as I recall -- big difference. I will be much less amused at getting run off the track at NL speeds (assume our team is lucky enough to get in).

i wouldn't be surprised to see a chicane on the backstretch before the kink...but i'd suspect it would be a longer, more open one designed to keep people out of triple digits going into the kink (i.e., not the thing they had at CMP last year where some cars had to squeeze through).  maybe some sort of "halfway across the track" wall on one side and then another on the opposite side 50-70 yards later.  so you're slowing down but not necessarily braking.  there are plenty of ways to keep them visible at night.  *shrug*

I keep suggesting that we add a few jumps, to encourage Subaru BRATs and Baja Bugs, but Jay has this annoying safety fixation.

Bahhh!  We all signed the waiver, let Darwin do his thing!  :-)

'74 260Z

MurileeMartin wrote:

I keep suggesting that we add a few jumps, to encourage Subaru BRATs and Baja Bugs, but Jay has this annoying safety fixation.

Personally, I've been hoping for a Hot Wheels-style loop-de-loop.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I second the Loop.  or a banked turn at like 70 degrees..

-Chip

Free Candy Racing
www.freecandyracing.com

Jer wrote:

Hey, powers that be-how many cars do you plan to allow in at Nelson Ledges???

Don't know yet. We're working on various strategies to admit as many as possible.

So... what do you think...

Here's one to consider ....How about taking 'provisional' entries over 120 cars. If you are #121 on the list you would get to start the race just as soon as somone officially drops out.    Number 122 goes in when #2 retires, etc.  If you are # 136 on the list you can come to race but may or may not get a chance to run.   If you never get out on course you get 50% of your entry back.  It's the old 'you pays yo money you takes yo chances'.

How about it teams .. would that work?

Spud

Remember, it's never too early to start embellishing the past.

"so there I was, 90mph, sideways on the brink of death ..."

Erm, maybe for the first ten or so teams, but after that, it would get too funky and become an accounting mess.

We're hoping to make it in for real. Please, let us in! ;-)

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

With the deadline soon approaching, we are up to 172 entries!  If nothing else, I think this tells us we need more races in the Great Lakes/Eastcoast region.

If Nelson Ledges turns out to be a good event, it would be great to have spring and fall races there. 

BTW, what is the record for number of entries for an event?

'74 260Z

174 as of 10:46pm CDT on Saturday night. Not exactly a flood of last-minute entries.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hope we get in as well. Been working on refreshing the car from last year for a while now and this is only race close enough we can afford to run in.

At least one of Team 'Corvette' and Ewww Five-Civic-One got in [got the email at 1:50am].  Unfortunately, I used the same email address for both teams so I don't know whether one, the other, or both got in.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Woke up this morning to find out we made it.  Very excited!  Bongle - you are pretty close to us.  Go team canada!

Team Magnum PI ness  #357  -

106th place at Nelson Ledges - The Lamest Days
-oil pressure failure leading to engine failure

We got in as well.  Now, we just have to turn a smoldering pile of crap into a racecar in 10 weeks.

'74 260Z

Haha you too?   I pulled the AC and the cruise control out... and that about sums it up.  I better get moving.

92 (edited by RobL 2009-07-27 05:38 AM)

STS: GI Slow is in!

BTW - Who got #7?  What's it worth to you?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Morrows Auto Quest for the Wholey Nickel Bag  is in !!!! 1st timers from Pittsburgh,
any one in the area got conformation yet? We are pretty good with the righty tighty lefty loosey thing. We can also cut metal with fire and put it back again with electricity.
we have a tire machine and a balancer. If you are nearby and need help, feel free to find us, and we'll be happy to help in the spirit of Lemons.

MagnumPI wrote:

Woke up this morning to find out we made it.  Very excited!  Bongle - you are pretty close to us.  Go team canada!

There's a bunch of Canadian teams this year it seems.  I think last year in Toledo we were the only ones.  We should convoy together on the way to the race.

PS We have tentatively taken #39 and #571.  We're not too attached to #39, so if someone else needs it we can pick something else.

Car to Pit telemetry (OBD2, GPS, and analog inputs) with little more than a phone, router, and laptop.  It's not MacGuyver, it's WifiLapper (forum | facebook)

Bongle,

Sounds good, we are looking to leave thursday night if all goes well, we will have a fairly large convoy, will shoot you an email from work later .

We wanted to get  .357  hope nobody else takes it.  Just goes with the Magnum team.

In.  Thanks, Jay and crew!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

97 (edited by bongle 2009-07-27 06:07 AM)

r-cubed wrote:

The Red Rocket Racing team got a Waitlist notice - pretty disappointing, considering we just spent the entire weekend lapping Grattan for endurance testing.  Anyone have insight into the selection criteria?  What'd we do to miss it?

- Andy

Stuff I keep in mind when doing an application:
-Make sure your application makes you look fun.  Make jokes about your car and your theme.  Take a look at MagumPI's application on his blog for an example of what I think would be an excellent one, though since I'm not Nick or Jay, my opinion is worthless. 
-To get an idea of what makes a good theme, take a look at the facebook group and look at all the Judge's/Organizer's choice winners.  These are teams that the organizers/judges are explicitly saying they liked.
-Have either an interesting (old, rare, likely to break) car or an interesting and well implemented (or at least, well-described) theme, and preferably both.  We've got two boring civics, so we had to work fairly hard on themes.
-Look like you've got your shit together: I've seen Nick say that they look kindly upon teams that have their rosters filled out and look like they'll actually be able to make the race.  There's a fairly high dropout rate (last year at Toledo, 70-something cars were accepted, but 53 made the race), so if you're waitlisted you have a decent chance of making it in.

We're topless & we're in. Can't wait to get it on Alan McNish-style! Cheers guys.

Here was our first Schumacher Taxi Service application:

Our Taxi service was conceived by the great Michael Schumacher – the 7 time world champion F1 driver. He was running late to the airport and asked the taxi driver if he could drive to make up some time. The taxi driver agreed, Mike (as he’s known to his friends) drove quickly and made it to the airport in time for his flight. Mike thought this would be a great opportunity to branch out into other forms of motorsports – F1 cars, motorcycle racing, karts, and now a Taxis service. His only requirement for cars is that they be Ferraris since that is his old F1 race team. Searching far and wide the company found two – a Ferrari CoROLLa and a Ferrari Quattro.

Our current fare asked to be taken to the airport (the only place our taxi service goes BTW). But she chose to go to the Charlotte Douglas International Airport from Philly. I thought she was kidding at first but apparently not. It’s a long drive and we intend to run the fare up a little as revenge. We happened to hear about this event that you are holding and figured it would be a great place to put miles on the fare and have it look like a regular street around South Carolina (full of cheap cars with bad drivers). Since it looks like we will have a stop over around that area, the taxi union won’t let us drive more than 12 hours straight, we can introduce you to our fare. She doesn’t speak much, isn’t a looker, but is petite, has big boobs, and looks like she is ready for some fun - if you know what I mean.   Her picture is here: http://schumachertaxiservice.com/ctrace … ons243.jpg

[writers note: as much as we would like to show up wearing turbans and other “ethnic” taxi driver clothing, some of us have jobs at conservative east coast companies where any pictures of us in said clothing would be “career limiting” and be cause for attending “cultural diversity/tolerance” seminars.]

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

WOOOOOOOOT!!  INNIT to WINNIT!

See you in BF Ohio.