Topic: North Dallas Hooptie Synopsis

This was my third Lemons event, I drove with the MetroSexuals in the red #51 GEO Metro.

We all had a blast this weekend.  The Metro blew a motor and a half @ Gator-o-Rama earlier this year, so the trip to Decatur was a shot at redemption.  The guys did a great job putting together a solid car, actually completing the race and coming in 35th.  As far as Lemons failures go, we got lucky.  Only minor problems arose, such as a seized fuel tank vent, leaky coolant overflow bottle, and needing to change pads halfway through day 2.

Eagle's Canyon is a really fun track!  The elevation changes and blind corners made for some fun racing!  The field had thinned halfway through Saturday and the track was large enough that traffic was a non-issue.  There was a LOT of clean racing going on out there, so two big thumbs up to all the drivers!

The track surface was overall pretty good.  Sunday it seemed like there was a hole forming in the center of the track, just before the uphill T10. Did anyone else notice this?  How did it begin? 

Thanks to Eagle's Canyon for having us and to the Lemons judges who put on a great show as always.  More thanks to all the racers and spectators, the heat was rough but we did it!

Arron

PS- Look for the RX7 to be back for Gator-o-Rama part deux, maybe the rotary will hold together for more than 5 laps ths time.

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Re: North Dallas Hooptie Synopsis

Yes on everything. I think the hole happened when the Blue Goose VW lost a CV shaft right around that area. Your car was LOUD around the track.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

jw33 wrote:

Yes on everything. I think the hole happened when the Blue Goose VW lost a CV shaft right around that area. Your car was LOUD around the track.

Its more of a warning to other drivers that there are noobs on track.  smile

Team monstaRX-7: #91 1991 Mazda RX-7 convertible with a 5.0, WHAT COULD GO WRONG?
Races: 2010 Gator-O-Rama(DNF, blown motor, "Trailer on Saturday"), Oct 2011 Yee-Haw Its Lemons(actually finished the race! Judge's Choice)

Hot, hot, hot. Cool shirts were a lifesaver. Also, I had a Hans instead of a dog-collar, and the airflow under my helmet was nice.

I saw the pothole at T10, but who spilled all the gravel in turn 9? I suppose it didn't matter because I was skirting the outside edge of it, but one lap it was clean, and the next it was there.

I was a complete noob at this race. All I've ever done before is autocross, but the experience was great! Almost everybody was super-cool and careful about avoiding contact (except the #97 SHO that dive-bombed me twice in traffic). The two times I felt I needed to apologize the people I talked with pretty much said my antics weren't worth apologizing for.

Great fun!

EriktheAwful wrote:

Hot, hot, hot. Cool shirts were a lifesaver. Also, I had a Hans instead of a dog-collar, and the airflow under my helmet was nice.

I saw the pothole at T10, but who spilled all the gravel in turn 9? I suppose it didn't matter because I was skirting the outside edge of it, but one lap it was clean, and the next it was there.

I was a complete noob at this race. All I've ever done before is autocross, but the experience was great! Almost everybody was super-cool and careful about avoiding contact (except the #97 SHO that dive-bombed me twice in traffic). The two times I felt I needed to apologize the people I talked with pretty much said my antics weren't worth apologizing for.

Great fun!

The gravel was from the white fiesta. I was right behind him when he looped it around and went off the track there on Saturday afternoon,

Shake and Bake

jw33 wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

Great fun!

The gravel was from the white fiesta. I was right behind him when he looped it around and went off the track there on Saturday afternoon,

I was wondering that same thing, when I jumped in for my second stint on Saturday there were rocks all over the place, I had gotten lucky that most of them were already blasted off of the usual driving lines though.

A big +1 about the heat too.  Going into it, I wasn't too worried about it.  Getting out of the car though, I realized how big of a drain it really was.  When yellows were interspersed and in traffic, I could put in a solid hour and a  half.  But when the pace was solid non-stop racing I pulled in after 45 minutes to an hour.

We had a great race and ya, it was freakin! HOT!!!

We blew through the majority of our front and rear R4 pads in the 10 hours on Saturday.  We burned up brake pad at about $25 an hour on Saturday.

Cool Shirts are very great.  Unfortunately, we had some issues on Sunday but it rocked all day Saturday.  Now that I've tried one, I'll say you should have them for hot summer racing.

We had a great time.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

8 (edited by jw33 2010-06-08 07:50 PM)

Your 240 and the #61 BMW were probably my two favorite cars to watch race around the track. I don't think there was a car out there that had anything for that 240 in just about any section of the track.

Shake and Bake

Congrats on the good run Troy.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

jw33 wrote:

Your 240 and the #61 BMW were probably my two favorite cars to watch race around the track. I don't think there was a car out there that had anything for that 240 in just about any section of the track.

Yeah the 240 rolled out hard!  The #61 BMW was fast as well, plagued with mechanical issues this weekend though. 

On another note, does anyone know if there was a People's Curse?  We didn't vote because we didn't see anyone being big enough douchebags to warrant a crushing.

jw33 wrote:

Interesting, I didn't know how the hole started, but I do know we gave the GTI an axle nut to get them going again.

Unpimp Ze Lemon
1988 VW Scirocco
2010 North Dallas Hooptie 18th, Yee Haw, It's Lemons Texas 61st

I found the pothole too, with our exhaust.  Jerked it down about 3" on Sunday (my first time on the track).  Drug the left-handers for the rest of the day.  Managed to grind the bolts off the exhaust clamp by the end of the day.

Hopefully I kept Pepe out of most (read all) of the faster cars way.  Way too hot, but uber fun too.

Crewe Le Pew
1982 Renault Le Car "Pepe le Pew"
big_smile 2010 North Dallas Hooptie IOE WINNER!!!!!

Stang Man wrote:

On another note, does anyone know if there was a People's Curse?  We didn't vote because we didn't see anyone being big enough douchebags to warrant a crushing.

Lost in the Dark (the black and gold Mustata and Probe) brought their old MX-6 as an offering to the gods of speed, but Jay didn't have the means to crush it.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

With that many Texans and Okies hangin' around with piles of tools and parts, there was the means. All he had to do was ask.

EriktheAwful wrote:

With that many Texans and Okies hangin' around with piles of tools and parts, there was the means. All he had to do was ask.

OH, we asked. The final say was " if you guys really dont want to take it with you, put it in the field, we will figure something out" we just got lazy cause it was hot and it dont roll worth a shit.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Stang Man wrote:
jw33 wrote:

Yeah the 240 rolled out hard!  The #61 BMW was fast as well, plagued with mechanical issues this weekend though. 

There were enough fast cars out there. 

We ran with the Formula M guys a lot. 

The SHOs, especially the Nudists were quick. 

The Prancing Donkey's Integra is fast and questionably reckless.

There were plenty of quick BMWs.

I never realized how quick the Civic was but it set a record lap time.

Good driver's make our car look considerable better than I do.  The yellow paint also makes our car stand out more.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:
Stang Man wrote:
jw33 wrote:

There were enough fast cars out there. 

We ran with the Formula M guys a lot. 

The SHOs, especially the Nudists were quick. 

The Prancing Donkey's Integra is fast and questionably reckless.

There were plenty of quick BMWs.

I never realized how quick the Civic was but it set a record lap time.

Good driver's make our car look considerable better than I do.  The yellow paint also makes our car stand out more.

Yeah you're right, the Mustang and Civic both seemed to make consistently quick laps as well.  SHO's were rolling too, it was a great weekend of racing thats for sure, the cleanest weekend I've seen out of my 3 appearances.

The track was fast and fun. We were expecting a top 10 finish. A win was not what we were shooting for. At least til late Sat. with a big lead.

We could do the whole lap in 3rd if we feathered the gas before turn 7. If not it was into 4th for a few seconds then back to 3rd. We used 2nd for 10 and 11 if we needed to get past a car. We braked early and didn't try for all out corner speed.

The only one that dive bombed me was the #1 Saturn. Other than that it was clean racing.

Cool shirts are like AC in that kind of heat. Worth every penny.

Brakes and tires wore like iron. But then we were not pushing 100% either because of the heat. Only 2 BF's, one Sat. one Sun. We burned about 8 gal. an hour of gas. 4.5 quarts of oil.

Next year have the race in March.