1 (edited by Baron 2010-06-07 06:22 PM)

Topic: I never really liked the idea of an "arrive and drive" seat, but...

We have always put together teams with friends and coworkers, on the premise that they will be better teamates.  I figured that since you knew them, and they were in your car, it would all be better. We were pitted next to a team in New Orleans that had an arrive and driver that didnt want to be a part of the team, just wanted to drive. In all honesty, if they were on my team, we would have gotten a black flag for having a bound semi-concious driver duck taped in the truck... but maybe that is just me...

We dicided to have John (lemonade time racing) come be on our team. You might remember a picture he posted, suited up and holding a cardboard sign saying 'will wrench for seat time'. I got a kick out of that, passed it around to my teamates and told them we had a new driver. He had never been in a race, watched at Houston if I recall. He drove from Houston to Dallas THREE TIMES to come help work on the car, theme it, etc. Anytime we were doing something, he was ready and willing to help. Once we got to the track, he was there, helping me and the only other driver on our team that came out to tech in the cars. It really says something when the 7 other people on the team cant make it, and he was there bright and early all the way from Houston.

Once we started driving, we found the normal issues with a new car build. We limped around doing the best we could, and John was in there, BRAND NEW TO A RACECOURSE, driving with questionable brakes and clutch, and doing well. Never made contact with another car, turned good times, and only made a trip to the penalty box twice over the weekend, and I firmly belive that was due to mechanical downfall more that driver error.

I have always liked the people at Lemons races, and always have a great time. The organizers and track officials make it a very fun and safe place, especially for NEWBs like most of our team is/was. If the majority of folks on this forum and at the events are assets like John turned out to be to us, I might build a new car just for arrive and drive seats.

CHEERS TO Lemons!

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

2 (edited by GnomeFabTech 2010-06-07 07:42 PM)

Re: I never really liked the idea of an "arrive and drive" seat, but...

I have a very stringent vetting process for our potential team mates.  They need to a: have the money to pay their share and b: want to give it to me.

I have had the BEST experiences with our arrive and drive victims, I mean teammates.  First off, there is the Flying Fire Fighter, Tony Silva who we got as a replacement for another guy who could not make it.  Turns out Tony manages a nationally renowned endurance race team and sure did know a few things about racing.  He's a permanent member of our squad now.  When the sad reality came to pass that he would rather race with his "real" race team in Daytona and miss a Lemons event, we ended up with Dan (Gila Monster) Gielas by placing an ad on this forum.  Turns out Dan is a pretty fast driver and does so by ruling the car with an iron fist, spitting gears and brake pads with every lap.  He also likes getting greasy and was willing to do whatever it took to help keep the Gnome on the track so how mad can we get about his equipment pulping nature?  We also sold a seat to the Krazy Kop named Craig.  He was great too.  Sadly he decided to field his own car now and he is no longer available to drive for us.

Long story longer, I think a great part of having a team is the characters you end up with the fill the empty seats when they come up after all, there's always some person around with more money than brains.

Cars, cameras, and easy living...

GnomeFabTech wrote:

I have a very stringent vetting process for our potential team mates.  They need to a: have the money to pay their share and b: want to give it to me.

We've had real problems with both of those. One guy on our forums wanted us to use donation money so he wouldn't have to pay any fees out of his own pocket, he was not selected needless to say. Most people who've wanted to drive with us are never heard from again when they find out Lemons isn't simply showing up to the track in a t shirt and hopping into the car. The ones who get past that never bother to return calls/emails after we ask them to put their money where their mouth is.

One guy who made it all the way to race had the attention span of a goldfish, when asked to fill some gas cans, he vanished for a few hours and was later found riding a dirt bike, gas cans missing.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

We had 2 arrive and drives. One was the worst driver EVER (if you see video of the Bee wobbling all over by itself and going two wheels off for no apparent reason, that's him). Never paid in full, was late on everything, never returned calls or emails. He spun and went off so many times he wasn't sure which penalty he was being called in for for. Several visits resulted in the dude getting yanked out of the car like 20 minutes after hitting the track. We spent the entire half an hour running back and forth in the pits. Thank god the car wrecked by the next ding-dong before someone got hurt.

The other arrive & drive Doug from Texas was one of our best. Check came early, great guy, went out of his way to help, stayed clean, kept us fed and in good spirits. Too bad the motor barfed early. He deserved more seat time. But he never complained once. I need 2 more like him.

It's a crap-shoot, but hey, at least they always give you good stories to tell.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

5 (edited by jkfoto 2010-06-08 05:04 PM)

We've only had 1 "arrive and drive" driver... oh wait, we had to go rescue him on the 505...

At any rate, he was (and IS) one of the best guys out there (ahem, can you say "Killer/ZomBee"?) We'd have him on the team again in a heartbeat!

Actually, we had 2 drivers fly in for Infineon too - they were a blast to hang out with. Pete, Mulry and Stevo are always welcome to be on the team!

Team photographer and "sure I'll drive" hanger-on: more races than I ever imagined... MRolla/FX32/Mormon Meteor IV
http://www.facebook.com/StickFigureRacing
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkiel/coll … 604631509/
http://www.jkiel.com/

I'd always been skeptical of adding an arrive-and-drive teammate, but necessity was the death of skepticism when 2 of my 4 drivers dropped out at the last minute (one with an emergency sewer repair at home, the other with a nasty case of poison ivy/oak). We couldn't have asked for a better teammate than Erik of the Rusty Nuts squad. He pitched in, helped work on the car (and being super skinny was the best one to fit under it when we did our ghetto-pit alignment job and needed to adjust the tie rods), drove clean, stayed to help us pack up the trailer, and was overall just a great guy and teammate to have around. I'd take arrive-and-drives like him again anyday!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

We had two guys fly in to Nelson Ledges from LA.  It didn't work out well.  One was fine, but the other whined the whole weekend and expected us to show up with a fully sorted professional racecar rather than a $500 crapcan.  He was well aware of the rules and was told exactly what to expect, but it didn't matter.  He clearly didn't "get it".  I would consider another arrive and drive, but only if I actually met the person prior to making it official.  This guy was an aquantance of a teammate and we needed the money.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Thanks for the praise, DJ. I did deserve that first BF. I was over driving the car and spun a front wheel drive. How do you think I had a faster lap time than anyone else on the team, with 0 track experience.
The second BF was your fault. I got stoned from the gas fumes from the leak you fixed, and went 4 off.
Judge Scott gave me some great advice after my fist flag, but I didn't really understand it until after sunday. He said "your not the fastest car out there, so you have no excuse to drive like a douchbag. Slow down!"

From the POV of an arrive and driver, your team was great. You had no expressed expectations of me (other than $ and need for good humor). You included me in decisions even though it wasn't my team; you let me in on making bad ideas to threaten everybody's lives with a questionable fix or two.

If I get my car ready for September, I may even steal a few of your team members, and we'll give the Mustata a run for it's money.

Some advice to everyone considering an arrive and drive: be up front about your car's expectations. Tell your driver A: we are in pursuit of the nickels, or B: we are just here for the saturday party.
Adjust their driving style to meet your goals. If their driving sucks too much for A, shorten their stints, or pull them when they get flagged. If they are not fun enough for B, leave them in the car all weekend, or make them do the 100x writing of jig-saw puzzle all by themselves.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Even though I'm fielding a team and building a car for a race this year, next year i'd like to do some arrive and drive races at tracks that are too far to tow.  When you guys mention getting $$$ from your A&D teammates, are you referring to build costs, entry fee, gas and oil during the event or a combination of all three?
I suspect that cars that will survive this season will be used again next year and I hope to load up my tools, gear, beer, food, a means to cook said food, and get on a team down in Texas.

Greg
Team Skid Steer
Bullitt Bobcat 2.0
Fox Cougar Sedan

Lemonade Time Racing wrote:

Thanks for the praise, DJ. I did deserve that first BF. I was over driving the car and spun a front wheel drive. How do you think I had a faster lap time than anyone else on the team, with 0 track experience.
The second BF was your fault. I got stoned from the gas fumes from the leak you fixed, and went 4 off.
Judge Scott gave me some great advice after my fist flag, but I didn't really understand it until after sunday. He said "your not the fastest car out there, so you have no excuse to drive like a douchbag. Slow down!"

From the POV of an arrive and driver, your team was great. You had no expressed expectations of me (other than $ and need for good humor). You included me in decisions even though it wasn't my team; you let me in on making bad ideas to threaten everybody's lives with a questionable fix or two.

If I get my car ready for September, I may even steal a few of your team members, and we'll give the Mustata a run for it's money.

Some advice to everyone considering an arrive and drive: be up front about your car's expectations. Tell your driver A: we are in pursuit of the nickels, or B: we are just here for the saturday party.
Adjust their driving style to meet your goals. If their driving sucks too much for A, shorten their stints, or pull them when they get flagged. If they are not fun enough for B, leave them in the car all weekend, or make them do the 100x writing of jig-saw puzzle all by themselves.

Dont get all ahead of yourself, I never got to get in the car on sunday, My fast times came with the brake and clutch pedals were laying on the floorboards...

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Lemonious Monk wrote:

Even though I'm fielding a team and building a car for a race this year, next year i'd like to do some arrive and drive races at tracks that are too far to tow.  When you guys mention getting $$$ from your A&D teammates, are you referring to build costs, entry fee, gas and oil during the event or a combination of all three?
I suspect that cars that will survive this season will be used again next year and I hope to load up my tools, gear, beer, food, a means to cook said food, and get on a team down in Texas.

Since we were building a car, and had whored parts from our previous car, John paid in for cost of brake and tire, fuel, food and waters, etc. This race was kind of expensive as far as consumables go, and we weren't looking for someone to pay for the build itself. IF I were to do A&D's more in the future, I will ask for a pre-set flat fee, that would cover entry, car use, fuel, brakes, food at the track, water at the track, and camping. That way there is not any questions after the fact, and the A&D can plan on the amount they need to pay.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

12 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-06-08 03:37 PM)

Lemonious Monk wrote:

When you guys mention getting $$$ from your A&D teammates, are you referring to build costs, entry fee, gas and oil during the event or a combination of all three?

Fees, consumables (For Summit Point, since we're erring towards the side of being an unmaintainable pig, a million gallons of gas, a whole set of drive tires and maybe half a set of pads), a few bucks for some food and a refundable "Don't crash into the wall" deposit. Asking A&D's to cover the build seems to have the nasty effect of making them think they're fractional owners or something.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Almost our entire team is A&D .... even the pit crew.  Our drivers are all over the US and I fly into Washington International on the Wednesday before race weekend.  The car has been prepped by our Team Owner and if there have been any bills we as the Driving Team pay.  Driving Team split the entry fees etc and the Pit Crew paid their share.

So far it's worked just fine.

Biggest glitch .... three of us thought we were the one bringing the scotch wink